Installing IIS

JCO

Can't install IIS. Says to put in CD with Windows Professional Service Pack
2. I put that CD in and it can't find certain files. Something in my
system must be corrupted and will not allow for the additional windows
component to be installed. Can somebody help me.

I've eliminated the possibility of a bad CD. I tried a friends CD and had
the same issue.

The first error is when it is looking for the following file:
e:\xpsp2_en_x86_kb835935\i386\staxmem.dll (my CD Drive is E:\)

Thanks for your help

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello JCO,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

I notice that you have posted the same question in our
<microsoft.public.windowsxp.general> newsgroup, to which I have already
responded. Please check my answer there, and if you need any further
assistance on this particular issue please reply to me in that thread so I
can follow up with you. In the future, please don't cross-post the same
question in multiple newsgroups. This will help our engineers work on your
question more efficiently. Your understanding and cooperation is
appreciated.

For your convenience, I have included my reply as follows:

================
From your post, I suspect that you are encountering the following scenario:

When you try to install Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS) on a
computer that is running Microsoft Windows XP Professional with Service
Pack 2 (SP2), you may receive one of the following error messages:
--------------------
Copy error:
Setup cannot copy the file staxmem.dll. Please insert the "Windows XP
Professional Service Pack 2 CD".
Setup could not copy one or more files. The specific error code is 0x4b8
--------------------
However, when you put the Windows XP Professional SP2 CD in your CD drive,
Setup cannot find the Staxmem.dll file.

This issue may occur when one of the following conditions is true:
1. The Secedit.sdb database file is corrupted.
2. The Windows Components Wizard (Sysocmgr.exe) must install files in such
a way that both the original Windows XP Professional CD and the Windows XP
Professional SP2 CD must be available.

To resolve this issue, I suggest you refer to the following knowledge base
article:

894351: You may receive the "Setup cannot copy the file staxmem.dll" error
message when you try to install IIS on a computer that is running Windows
XP Professional with SP2
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;894351

Hope that helps!
================

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: "JCO" <[email protected]>
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize
| Subject: Installing IIS
| Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 15:25:39 GMT
|
| Can't install IIS. Says to put in CD with Windows Professional Service
Pack
| 2. I put that CD in and it can't find certain files. Something in my
| system must be corrupted and will not allow for the additional windows
| component to be installed. Can somebody help me.
|
| I've eliminated the possibility of a bad CD. I tried a friends CD and had
| the same issue.
|
| The first error is when it is looking for the following file:
| e:\xpsp2_en_x86_kb835935\i386\staxmem.dll (my CD Drive is E:\)
|
| Thanks for your help

JCO

I did a restore from an image that was just over a month old.
I lucked out.
Thanks anyway

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello JCO,

Thanks for your response!

I am glad to know you have resolved the issue by restoring from an image a
month ago.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to
contact me. It is always my pleasure to be of assistance.

> [...]

XP
| > Professional SP2 CD must be available.
| >
| > To resolve this issue, I suggest you refer to the following knowledge
base
| > article:
| >
| > 894351: You may receive the "Setup cannot copy the file staxmem.dll"
error
| > message when you try to install IIS on a computer that is running
Windows
| > XP Professional with SP2
| > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;894351
| >
| > Hope that helps!
| > ================
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Ken Zhao
| >
| > Microsoft Online Partner Support
| >
| > =====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so

TK2MSFTNGXA02.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl!newsfeed00.sul.t-online.de!t-onli

ne.de!border2.nntp.dca.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!cyclone1.gnilink.net!s
| > pamkiller.gnilink.net!gnilink.net!trnddc01.POSTED!38b55d65!not-for-mail
| > |
| > | Can't install IIS. Says to put in CD with Windows Professional
Service
| > Pack
| > | 2. I put that CD in and it can't find certain files. Something in my
| > | system must be corrupted and will not allow for the additional windows
| > | component to be installed. Can somebody help me.
| > |
| > | I've eliminated the possibility of a bad CD. I tried a friends CD and
| had
| > | the same issue.
| > |
| > | The first error is when it is looking for the following file:
| > | e:\xpsp2_en_x86_kb835935\i386\staxmem.dll (my CD Drive is E:\)
| > |
| > | Thanks for your help
| > |
| > |