Installing 2nd hard drive on new Vista Premium PC

Syl Fourcade

I have a new Compaq Presario running Vista Premium and have installed my old
WD 10GB hard drive containing all my backup files. Problem is the directory
shows it is empty except for the first item which shows a .txt file which
reads: 0010 d224 (Safe boot). Is there something I need to do with the
BIOS? Diagnostics I have run show the driver is fine (I have downloaded it
twice to make sure). Thanks for help.

Boba & Ilinka

Did you set jumpers corectly on DVD-s, and HD-s (slave, master or cable
selected) ?

Boba Vankufer

Syl Fourcade

Hi, Boba: Didn't have to mess with the jumpers on the HD, since I just
removed it from my old pc and it was used as a slave. I don't understand
your question about the DVD/s jumpers. Thanks for the help! You're only
one of two so far willing to help me and I've published the question on four
Newsgroups. Guess people have their minds set on Xmas, not hardware.

Grinder

Syl said:
I have a new Compaq Presario running Vista Premium and have installed my
old
WD 10GB hard drive containing all my backup files. Problem is the
directory
shows it is empty except for the first item which shows a .txt file which
reads: 0010 d224 (Safe boot). Is there something I need to do with the
BIOS? Diagnostics I have run show the driver is fine (I have downloaded it
twice to make sure). Thanks for help.

If the 10GB was a "Dynamic" drive in the old system, I would expect
problems when moving it to a new system, though not necessarily of the
type you report.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314343

Do you have any idea if your drive was "Dynamic" or "Basic"? What
operating system was the drive previously in?

kony

Hi, Boba: Didn't have to mess with the jumpers on the HD, since I just
removed it from my old pc and it was used as a slave. I don't understand
your question about the DVD/s jumpers. Thanks for the help! You're only
one of two so far willing to help me and I've published the question on four
Newsgroups. Guess people have their minds set on Xmas, not hardware.

Is it Christmas time already? ;-)

When the system posts, or if the Compaq logo blocks the
details you may have to press some button or enter the bios
menu, you should see the old drive detected by the system.
Unless it looks like something is reported wrong the
settings for the drive should be left on "Auto" or similar.

The curious part is from what you wrote, it seems as though
the drive is being detected by the bios and showing up in
windows, else you'd not be able to see the almost empty
directory and the diagnostics should've shown a problem.

You might describe how you have these logically set up,
where the old WD drive is plugged in. If it is sharing a
cable with something else, you might try temporarily keeping
it alone on the (end of the) cable and jumpering it to
Single, not Master IF a single jumper setting is present.
Since the drive is so old and potentially unreliable due to
it's age, I am wondering if you only want or need to get the
data off instead of continue using this drive.

Do you need to keep using this old drive in the new system?
There are other ways to transfer a few files if you don't,
for example putting it back in the old system and networking
the two, or since a 10GB drive inherantly can't hold so many
gigs of data, perhaps burning a CDR or moving the data over
a USB flash drive.

Brett Kline

Syl said:
I have a new Compaq Presario running Vista Premium and have installed my
old
WD 10GB hard drive containing all my backup files. Problem is the

If the hard drive is WD and PATA and it is the only device on the
channel the jumper usually must be removed and the hard drive placed on
the end of the ribbon as 'master' would be.

Syl Fourcade

Kony: Your email address scares me, so I'll reply to the newsgroup.

Your suggestion of copying the files to CD-R on the old system is more and
more appealing to me. I think that's the way I'll go. I'll then reinstall
the old drive on the new system, re-format it and use it for backup in the
future. It should be a learning experience. Thanks for help.

Syl Fourcade

Hi,

The drive is a plain dum-dum drive, not Dynamic. The drive was on a Win98
SE system and doing very well, thank you. To answer another person, it is
installed on its own ribbon and is jumpered as a slave. I notice that the
directory now shows Command.exe file, IO.sys, and a couple of others. It
couldn't have been overwritten by Vista as a system drive, could it in the
installation process? (in which case, my back-up files may be gone?).

kony

Hi,

The drive is a plain dum-dum drive, not Dynamic. The drive was on a Win98
SE system and doing very well, thank you. To answer another person, it is
installed on its own ribbon and is jumpered as a slave.

On it's own cable it should be jumpered as Single or Master.
Since it's a WD drive, the single jumper setting is more
likely.

I notice that the
directory now shows Command.exe file, IO.sys, and a couple of others. It
couldn't have been overwritten by Vista as a system drive, could it in the
installation process? (in which case, my back-up files may be gone?).

It shouldn't have been.

Syl Fourcade

I will reinstall the drive and jumper it as Master on its own ribbon. If it
works, I will then be able to use it as a back-up drive. Thanks for help.

kony

I will reinstall the drive and jumper it as Master on its own ribbon. If it
works, I will then be able to use it as a back-up drive. Thanks for help.

Since this is usenet instead of email, please bottom-post in
reply to prior text instead of at the top.

Thank you.