Installation and multiple profiles

G

I have an installation issue. For reasons that are beyond my control, folks log into their PC with administrative rights (don't ask). I want to 1) Install a program that will run for whatever user might log into that PC, 2) The program has a front end "updater" that looks for updates to the software and runs whenever necessary

If I install as me, and someone else logs in and tries to run, they get an 'invalid parameter'. This only happens if I try to run through the shortcut on the start menu. If I navigated to the install directory, the executable itself runs fine

Any thoughts on what is going on? Are there any good sources for installing in a profile enviroment? If administrative rights would be taken away from the general user (which would be a good idea), is there any way to elevate the rights of the updater so that life will go on normally

Thanks
Eric Fleet

S

scorpion53061

When the installation occured a checkbox is available that asks "Do you want
to install for all users" or something ot that effect. Did the adminstriator
click "Yes"?
If I install as me, and someone else logs in and tries to run, they get an
'invalid parameter'. This only happens if I try to run through the shortcut
on the start menu. If I navigated to the install directory, the executable
itself runs fine.

E

Eric Fleet

Actually, I have the installation set to go to the programs folder rather
than user's program folder. I set the installer to not give prompts, it just
installs itself where I want itl. No user choice. I *think* that is the way
I should do it, but apparently something is going wrong.

Eric

Ask a Question