Install WinXP using removable CD-ROM

Chris Carrier

I would like to perform a fresh install of WinXP on a
laptop that does not have a built-in CD-ROM drive. I
have a removable USB 2.0 CD-RW that I would like to use
for the install but don't know if I can boot from the
removable drive, and/or use a removable USB 2.0 CD-RW on
a laptop with USB 1.0.

The laptop has Win2k installed, and the scenario I was
planning on would be to hook up the CD-RW, install the
drivers, then run the WinXP install CD and start the
install from Win2k.

What I don't know is, when the machine reboots to start
the install, will my laptop/windows see the removable CD-
RW? If not, what other options do I have other than
getting a PC Card CD-ROM?

Thanks.

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Chris,
When inside Windows 2000, you can run Winnt32 /makelocalsource from the
i386 folder on the Windows XP cd.
This will copy all the Windows XP files to the local hard drive so the cd
will not be needed after the first reboot.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]