Install DOS 6.22

Reaction score
I decided to share this information with all out there who might be having hard time installing DOS 6.22. I tried to Google but had to spend a lot of time to make DOS 6.22 install work. Finally I thought mine step might help some other out there looking for same information. Hope you guys don’t mind. If this not the place to post this type of thread or if this post is too long (doc size) please let me know.

Install Dos 6.22.

Step 1: Create a bootable DOS Disk:

Note: This is alternate to if you don’t have boot622.exe disk. If you have boot622.exe disk you can skip this step 1 of creating a bootable dos disk.

Insert blank disk on Floppy drive. Go to my computer and under 3 ½ Floppy (A) drive right click. Click on Format. Check the box that says, “Create an MS- DOS startup disk” You can give a volume label any name at this point. May be give it a “startup” as a label. Make sure that volume label is not more than 11 characters long. Click start. When done close the pop up box.

Step 2: Create DOS 6.22 Disk 1, 2 and 3 install disk.

You can search online to get DOS 6.22 disk. Once you get the all three disk downloaded from online or any other source move on to following steps.

Create Dos 6.22 install disk number 1:

Format disk 1

Insert Disk on floppy drive. Format the disk. Follow the same method as describes on step 1 above, but this time do not check the box that says “Create an MS-DOS startup disk.” Regarding volume label you don’t have to worry about it at this point. I will explain you latter why we need not worry about volume label at this point.

After formatting the Floppy, copy all the content of disk 1 from the location where you saved the download (or where you unzip the download) to the formatted floppy.

Now here is the little configuration part we have to do manually. PC will not recognize this floppy unless we give this floppy a volume label. For some reason giving a volume label from windows doesn’t seem to work for me. You need to go to DOS window to give disk a volume label.

Label DISK 1

You need LABLE.EXE file on your disk to complete this step. Check to see if you have that exe file on disk 1. If you don’t you need to copy that file from somewhere. I copied that file from boot622.exe disk. I haven’t looked around any other place to find it. I am sure you can get it online.

Once you have LABLE.EXE file on DISK 1 you are good to label the disk.

Insert MS-DOS startup disk (or boot622.exe) on Floppy drive and boot your pc from MS-DOS startup disk (you have to change the boot order on BIOS to boot from floppy drive first). Once you are on command line that starts with A:/>. You are in business. Now type “LABLE” and hit ENTER. Type the Volume label in following format.

DISK 1

IMPORTANT: There has to be a space between DISK and 1. All together you have to have 11 characters.

Follow the same process for DISK 2 and 3.

Now insert disk 1 back (you don’t need to turn off you pc.) and type SETUP.EXE.

Follow the instruction on the screen.

Have fun. Hope this help.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Sorry, but you made hard work of that ... the first disk in DOS 6.22 is a self-boot disk.

You pop the first Floppy in the drive and make sure, as always, that this is your first boot drive ... it will auto-load and all you do is follow instructions on the screen.

You should have asked ... ;)

:user:

Reaction score
Insert disk one...........

Press any key to continue.........

Done.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply guys, I wish it was that easy. I thought the same way and did exactly like you guys have mentioned. i put the first disk of 6.22 and i made sure that my first boot was always floppy drive. it didn't work for me. If you guys google similar problem you will be surprise how many people having same problem. For some reason the first disk doesn't get recognized unless you change the volume lable to DISK 1.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I'm just wondering why anybody would want to install DOS 6.22? :confused:

Maybe they is addicted to Word Perfect 5.1 or maybe want to play the original Castle Wolfenstein?

If you wanted to learn how to operate an OS based on text commands in my opinion learning Linux in the console mode is more rewarding.

But hey, it's there, isn't it, so why not I guess :)

Reaction score
Our plant still have some machine (like iron melting machine) that needs dos to run it. Anyway i am glad that you found the site that explains how to install dos 6.22.
See my problem was not on how to install but why i was not able to install from the disk. After going through every possible try i found out that volume lable on disk was not in a right format. So i thought i would let everyone know what can they try if they have the same problem.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
PC Craze said:
Our plant still have some machine (like iron melting machine) that needs dos to run it. Anyway i am glad that you found the site that explains how to install dos 6.22.
See my problem was not on how to install but why i was not able to install from the disk. After going through every possible try i found out that volume lable on disk was not in a right format. So i thought i would let everyone know what can they try if they have the same problem.

Which is quite fair enough I suppose :thumb:

Your plant is still dependent on DOS?

What do they make? Siege engines? ;)

Reaction score
Thats a very industrial use for DOS.

Reckon you could use your plant to melt down Microsoft?

Reaction score
I think i already mentioned about what our DOS machine does. Let me clear this again. We use DOS to run the program that has all temp and chemistry setting for melting the iron. I suppose we can melt down microsoft too.

Reaction score
Why would you want to melt metal when you could play Castle Wolfenstein??

Ask a Question