inserting video clips where I want them

G

I am working on a movie for my daughter which chronicles her whole life. I began by inserting various audio clips and titles/credits because this is the backbone of my project

The problem I've encountered is that I can't seem to enter video where I want to. I inserted the first video clip midway throght the timeline but the clip was placed at the beginning of the movie by default. Furthermore, I can't drag the clip to another part of the timeline. To I have to insert video/picture clips in chronological order. Can't I insert a clip where I want to?

P

PapaJohn \(MVP\)

You can sequence the clips in any order you want, but video clips can't have
any empty space at their left... no gaps in the video when previewing or
playing.

Once on the timeline/storyboard, you can leap-frog the clips to wherever you
want to change the sequence.

Other clips like music and title overlays can have space between them.

PapaJohn

I am working on a movie for my daughter which chronicles her whole life. I
began by inserting various audio clips and titles/credits because this is
the backbone of my project.
The problem I've encountered is that I can't seem to enter video where I
want to. I inserted the first video clip midway throght the timeline but the
clip was placed at the beginning of the movie by default. Furthermore, I
can't drag the clip to another part of the timeline. To I have to insert
video/picture clips in chronological order. Can't I insert a clip where I
want to?

G

Thanks for the response, PapaJohn

Hmmmm......that leads me to my next question. The beginnning of the movie has about 20 seconds of text (in the form of titles/credits) and I definately don't want any video showing during this. There are one or two other sections in the movie which have text and I don't want any video or pictures in the background. What would you recommend? The text portions of the video have a black background and a blue font. I'm thinking maybe I'll take a picture that comes out black and enter it in the timeline during these text only portions

BTW.....maybe you could pass the following recommendations on to Microsoft for future versions of Movie Maker....
1. Create another option for entering text other than "tIitles or credits." In my movie (and I"m sure in many others) this really is a misnomer because althought I'm entering text, it's neither a "title" nor a "credit." Furthermore, allow entering more than a couple of lines of text at a time. I understand that it's easy enough to keep creating new "titles" or "credits" but there is no reason why one cannot enter as much text as they want within the context of single text entry. When one enters numerous "titles" or "credits" it gives the movie a different flow because in essence, each entry is a scene. I think you catch my drift
2.Allow users to drop pictures and/or video anywhere they want on the timeline regardless of whether there is/are pictures and /or video to the left of it. This, of course would be conditional in that SOMETHING has been entered to the left of the video and/or picture either in the form of text or music
3. I don't want to beat this into the ground but it's high time Microsoft offer an option to burn to DVD. Given the proliferation of DVD burners within the general computing population, this should have been implemented some time ago. After a fair amount of research, I have learned how to create DVD's from WMM2 projects (save project as .avi file--->convert .avi file to a non-proprietary .avi file with StoikVideoConverter--->capture with Pinnacle Express (or similar program)--->burn to DVD) but I shouldn't have to go through all these steps. "Burn to DVD" should be an option within WMM2. 'Nuff said

Despite my trials and suggestions, I love WMM2. It's a great little program and I understand that software evolves as the needs of the end user evolve. As always, I appreciate your help, PapaJohn. Your commitment to helping others is unmatched and I certainly appreciate all you have done and continue to do. Best of luck to you and happy computing!

J

Jake

Create a black (or white, or any other colour you like) still and insert it
into the time line. Drag out its duration out for as long as you want space
between the start of the video and your first clip. Then add your clip.
Then add more black space and drag it out until you want your next clip to
start. Repeat as required.

Jake

I am working on a movie for my daughter which chronicles her whole life. I
began by inserting various audio clips and titles/credits because this is
the backbone of my project.
The problem I've encountered is that I can't seem to enter video where I
want to. I inserted the first video clip midway throght the timeline but the
clip was placed at the beginning of the movie by default. Furthermore, I
can't drag the clip to another part of the timeline. To I have to insert
video/picture clips in chronological order. Can't I insert a clip where I
want to?