Inexpensive colour laser? with ethernet? photo quality?

Phrederick

Hey all!

Still trying to decide on a printer... If someone could point me to a
website than can answer my questions (or knows the answers) it would be
appreciated.

- Are then any reasonably priced colour laser printers available? Any with
ethernet as a connection option?

- Can photos be produced on a colour laser printer? I images lasers are
great for labels and diagrams, but I can only image what they would do with
photos.

- Do colour lasers have separate tanks for each colour toner? Most printing
will be black, so I don't want to toss large amounts of the other colours
when I need to replace the black toner.

Thanks!

J. A. Mc.

Hey all!

Still trying to decide on a printer... If someone could point me to a
website than can answer my questions (or knows the answers) it would be
appreciated.

- Are then any reasonably priced colour laser printers available? Any with
ethernet as a connection option?

Define "reasonable".

Yes.
- Can photos be produced on a colour laser printer? I images lasers are
great for labels and diagrams, but I can only image what they would do with
photos.

Yes, they'll still have 'dots' as it's a four colour process - 1200 dpi with
microtoner on mine.

Don't imagine - ask for a print from a printer / company you're interested
in buying.
- Do colour lasers have separate tanks for each colour toner? Most printing
will be black, so I don't want to toss large amounts of the other colours
when I need to replace the black toner.

No.

They have separate TONER CARTRIDGES. Tanks are for ink, as in "inkjunk".

Phrederick

- Are then any reasonably priced colour laser printers available? Any
with
Define "reasonable".

I was hoping for the $600 range, but I'm quickly learning that you really
need to spend $1000 or so to get a decent colour laser.
Yes.

Yes, they'll still have 'dots' as it's a four colour process - 1200 dpi with
microtoner on mine.

Just wondering how the dithering looks on laser output.
Don't imagine - ask for a print from a printer / company you're interested
in buying.

Definately what I'll be doing.
No.

They have separate TONER CARTRIDGES. Tanks are for ink, as in "inkjunk".

Funny... The Lexmark in our office calls it a tank...

Joel

Phrederick said:
I was hoping for the $600 range, but I'm quickly learning that you really
need to spend $1000 or so to get a decent colour laser.

You are little too quick on the price as if you search the google then
you may find there are color laser printers for around $500-600

Phrederick

Phrederick said:
I was hoping for the $600 range, but I'm quickly learning that you really
need to spend $1000 or so to get a decent colour laser.

:You are little too quick on the price as if you search the google then
:you may find there are color laser printers for around $500-600

I should have been a bit more specific... I'm in Canada. Multiply any US
price you find by at least 1.5!

: )

Gary Tait

I should have been a bit more specific... I'm in Canada. Multiply any US
price you find by at least 1.5!

: )

Double it if you are in the middle of nowhere.

Joel

Phrederick said:
:You are little too quick on the price as if you search the google then
:you may find there are color laser printers for around $500-600

I should have been a bit more specific... I'm in Canada. Multiply any US
price you find by at least 1.5!

I don't own any color laser printer (yet) to have much detail, but you
can always be able to search www.google.com for the lowest price and
more detail.

I also just checked the price for the toner of some color laser
printer's and I found the price difference between $15-100 each refill
unit.

Linden

Still trying to decide on a printer... If someone could point me to a
website than can answer my questions (or knows the answers) it would be
appreciated.

- Are then any reasonably priced colour laser printers available? Any with
ethernet as a connection option?

- Can photos be produced on a colour laser printer? I images lasers are
great for labels and diagrams, but I can only image what they would do with
photos.

- Do colour lasers have separate tanks for each colour toner? Most printing
will be black, so I don't want to toss large amounts of the other colours
when I need to replace the black toner.

Thanks!

OKI 5100n is the only inexpensive (relatively)color laser I know off.
Built in network, single pass, all colours separate very good color photos
but not photo quality (what do want jam on it?)
Can use black toner only for black printing if you tell it not to make black
from colors. but I do not know of any bottled toner supplies for this
printer as OKI toner powder rather special.
I use mono laser for all black only printing having picked a laser for which
bulk toner available and easily used plenty of these available.

RogM

I was hoping for the $600 range, but I'm quickly learning that you really
need to spend $1000 or so to get a decent colour laser.
There's really no such thing as a "cheap" color laser printer, and you
can verify this by checking on the cost of a set of toner cartridges.
They're a bit like Gillette razors, you can give the razor away--the
profit is in the consumables.

Old Nick

something
.......and in reply I say!:

WOT????

Lazers were my dream! Get away from the stinkjet $$$ trail!
There's really no such thing as a "cheap" color laser printer, and you
can verify this by checking on the cost of a set of toner cartridges.
They're a bit like Gillette razors, you can give the razor away--the
profit is in the consumables.

**************************************************** sorry

I was frightened by the idea of a conspiracy that was
causing it all.
But then I was terrified that maybe there was no plan,
really. Is this unpleasant mess all a mistake?

Wolf Kirchmeir

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 07:00:23 +0800, Old Nick wrote:

=>something
=>.......and in reply I say!:
=>
=>WOT????
=>
=>Lazers were my dream! Get away from the stinkjet $$$ trail!
=>
=>>There's really no such thing as a "cheap" color laser printer, and you
=>>can verify this by checking on the cost of a set of toner cartridges.
=>>They're a bit like Gillette razors, you can give the razor away--the
=>>profit is in the consumables.

That describes _inkjet_ printers exactly. Unfortunately.

Actually, there are cheapish b/w laser printers that
require merely a _toner_ cartridge replacement, not the
whole print engine. They run around $500 to $1000Can.
However, photo-quality lasers are not cheap or even
cheapish. 600x600dpi colour lasers run around $1000Can (but
these are the kind whose cartridge includes the drum at
around $200 each, or $800 for CMYK). Anything better than
that, and you are looking at $5K minimum, but a really good
photoquality laser will set you back $10K and up.

Mind you, for booklet or pamphlet printing 600x600dpi is
plenty good enough - better than high quality glossy
magazine colour pix a mere ten years or so ago.

HTH