Incentive's to Crunch

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
There is only one prize to this 'game', finding a cure. Oh how we'd love to win it.

There are several 'teams' out there that have a huge database of 'crunchies' ... one that springs to mind is EasyNews ... how do they get so many? The answer is quite inginious ... they'll give you a credit note ... Here is what they do

Now I know we cannot offer anything so luxurious but you see what power an incentive can have ... they have been at WCG for a week and are #3

OK, thinking caps on ...

A sugestion, not a fact ...

Want a brand spanking top range 64bit PC ... easy, join "The PCReview Crew II" and we'll give you one ... the catch? ah, you have to contribute to it too ... we'll spend £1000 on a new system, but every cruncher donates some money ... 10 crunchers = £100 each ... now, have 100 crunchers and its only £10 each ... ;)

Well that's one idea ... NEXT!

muckshifter

Reaction score
IAN ... easy one for you. ;-)

Hey IAN ... how about, just as a start, we have our own 'board room', the same as the mods have ... crunchers only. ;)

Can it be setup that all crunchers can enter automatically or would it be a pass-worded section?

Just a suggestion ... :D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hmmm, a private forum should be easy enough to set up. I'll have a look into the vB ranks section and see if its possible to set something up, perhaps as a sub-board to this one.

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Want a brand spanking top range 64bit PC ... easy, join "The PCReview Crew II" and we'll give you one ... the catch? ah, you have to contribute to it too ... we'll spend £1000 on a new system, but every cruncher donates some money ... 10 crunchers = £100 each ... now, have 100 crunchers and its only £10 each ... ;)
Not sure we can trust Mucks, after all I ordered TWO unique empty boxes from this guy (Well sort of unique, I think there was a job lot of 50,000) and they never turned up.;)

I don't know, these rogue e-bay traders, they just lead you up the garden path ......:(

Only kidding Mucks, I'd be up for it, so long as it's the 100 contributors figure!:D

muckshifter

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
Hmmm, a private forum should be easy enough to set up. I'll have a look into the vB ranks section and see if its possible to set something up, perhaps as a sub-board to this one.
Hey ... think first ... I have. Not sure now how good it would be ... lets wait a wee bit for some feed back

I ordered TWO unique empty boxes from this guy
Hey, they are in the post ... I have the stamps right here to prove it. :p

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
You want feedback ...

I think it could be a good incentive, just because people are naturally inquisitive and they would start crunching to see what's on the "other side".

However, it may make it "elitist" and drive people away. Also, if more of the chat takes place behind "closed doors" if might put-off the casual passing trade.

Hope that makes some sense, I know what I mean!;)

muckshifter

Reaction score
CITech said:
You want feedback ...

I think it could be a good incentive, just because people are naturally inquisitive and they would start crunching to see what's on the "other side".

However, it may make it "elitist" and drive people away. Also, if more of the chat takes place behind "closed doors" if might put-off the casual passing trade.

Hope that makes some sense, I know what I mean!;)
So do I ... do I?

No really, I'm not sure either now ... closed doors for mods is fine but we actually want MORE coverage ... so NO, I say don't. Yeah well blame my effeminate side. :p

:rolleyes:

Reaction score
What about asking Ian nicely;) to put it to one of our sponsors to come up with an incentive, after all the more members the more publicity that sponsor would receive:) ;)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I know what would be a good start... a nice big news article on it! :D

I'll ask Becky really nicely if she can come up with something for the front page ;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Incentives to crunch:

For males:

1st Prize: A guided tour of the Greenwich waterfront and a free pint of beer.
2nd prize: Same thing but you're paying.

For females:

1st prize: A night out with me.
2nd prize: Two nights out with me.

Are you talking a raffle here? Or prize for top cruncher, as the latter wouldn't be competitive, somebody always has a whole rake of machines to use.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
mucks said:
There is only one prize to this 'game', finding a cure. Oh how we'd love to win it.
Theres my incentive right there! :cool:

muckshifter

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Incentives to crunch:

For males:

For females:

Are you talking a raffle here? Or prize for top cruncher, as the latter wouldn't be competitive, somebody always has a whole rake of machines to use.
Well we have everybody here that is anyway interested ... getting a few of the casual visitor may be nice ... how many 'hits' a day do we get?

638 users online right at this moment ... and only 12 know we are here. :(

muckshifter

Reaction score
prizes, raffles 'n the like don't work ...

We gave a 'prize' away ... unless you can do that every month it ain't worth it ... they just stop crunching.

I have seen other teams donating "spare PC parts" to build headless (no monitor) crunchers ... actually there are a few that do it.

The idea is we get a PC together out of anybodies spare parts, build a system then dedicate it to crunching ... now that PC has to live somewhere, so we get a volunteer to 'home' it, but the volunteer has to pay for its upkeep ... electricity & 24/7 running ... the idea actually works.

To get that idea to work you need trust ... and the right PC parts. ;)

phicksus

Sweet and Innocent
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Incentives to crunch:

For females:

Guess I'm on the wrong team. :D

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
We gave a 'prize' away ... unless you can do that every month it ain't worth it ... they just stop crunching.

I have seen other teams donating "spare PC parts" to build headless (no monitor) crunchers ... actually there are a few that do it.

The idea is we get a PC together out of anybodies spare parts, build a system then dedicate it to crunching ... now that PC has to live somewhere, so we get a volunteer to 'home' it, but the volunteer has to pay for its upkeep ... electricity & 24/7 running ... the idea actually works.

To get that idea to work you need trust ... and the right PC parts. ;)

Well i have a Socket A motherboard with onboard graphics, case, PSU, CD drive... if anyone has a spare HDD, RAM and SA 266fsb CPU i can build a working PC :blush:

Reaction score
Should say the first person to reach 100,000 or so points gets a computer game or something - then there would be a target and would be alot more competitive, and people would then hopefully continue crunching as they would see that it dosent really slow computers down AND give them the incentive to install on more computers as there is no luck - just sheer power involved...

Maybe... Maybe not. Just a thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by muckshifter
I have been looking into "incentive's to crunch" but very few work unless the incentive is perpetual.

There are a lot of us that do it because we care, we need no incentive but ourselves ... hounding people only drives them off, but it it does surprise me at how many no nothing about it.

Time for a new thread ...

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Incentives to crunch:

For males:

I just hope I don't come third:D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
This "donate a PC part" idea seems rather neat!

muckshifter

Reaction score
ok, great ...

Ian Cunningham said:
This "donate a PC part" idea seems rather neat!
As I said, I have seen a few teams using it, and yes it does work.

They have certain "rules" in place ... I'll dig something up if you like ... but if we can't get people, then why not more PCs. :thumb:

I'll start a new thread when I sort something out ... ;)

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
I like the idea of donating PC parts and building a PC. For me I have incentive enough, but it would be great if it attracts new members.

I am willing to personally donate £100 towards an incentive, whatever is agreed on....:thumb:

Ask a Question