Inbound filters not workign

John Smith

I'm trying to setup some inbound packet filters on My 2003 AD Server to
prevent access to a certain program, but i can still access the port thru
the program. i'm configuring filters on the public interface in the ip
routing/general section of RRAS. here is my netsh output:

Filter Information for Interface Local Area Connection 2

Fragment checking is Disabled.

Filter Type : INPUT
Default Action : FORWARD

Src Addr Src Mask Dst Addr Dst Mask Proto Src
Port Dst Port
0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 UDP
8767 8767
No demand-dial filters configured.

Help :(

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello John,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

From your post, I'd like to suggest you help me provide me with the
following information:

1. Do you use public IP or private IP between RRAS server and client?
2. How do you configure filters in Routing and Remote Access Service (RRAS)?
3. How do you configure the RRAS policy created by the RRAS server?

Based on your requirement, I have performed some research. I found Internet
Protocol security (IPSec) filtering rules can be used to help protect
Windows 2000-based, Windows XP-based, and Windows Server 2003-based
computers from network-based attacks from threats such as viruses and
worms. This article describes how to filter a particular protocol and port
combination for both inbound and outbound network traffic. It includes
steps to whether there are any IPSec policies currently assigned to a
Windows 2000-based, Windows XP-based, or Windows Server 2003-based
computer, steps to create and assign a new IPSec policy, and steps to
unassign and delete an IPSec policy.

For more related information, you may refer to the following article:
813878: How to block specific network protocols and ports by using IPSec
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813878

More Reference:
================
248750: Description of the IPSec policy created for L2TP/IPSec
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/248750

252735: How to Configure IPSec Tunneling in Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q252735

Internet Protocol Security and Packet Filtering
<http://www.microsoft.com/technet/itsolutions/network/evaluate/technol/tcpip
fund/tcpipfund_ch13.mspx>

Hope the information helps!

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Partner Support

--------------
| 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 UDP
| 8767 8767
| No demand-dial filters configured.
|

| Help :(

Janani [MSFT]

RRAS uses five tuple filtering where the filters come into effect only if
all the parameters specified match. From your filter, I can see that you
have specified the src port also? Does your program always bind to the same
local port also?

It is usually common to have apps binding to a fixed remote port but rare to
have them select a fixed source port - This doesnt mean that your app
shouldnt be doing that due to some specific requirement.

You can use PortQry.exe tool to test if the filters are working fine. More
info abput this tool is in
http://blogs.technet.com/rrasblog/archive/2005/11/28/415190.aspx