In place upgrade of PDC to Win2K will not allow peers

• Thread starter Bruce C. Detter III
  • Start date
B

Bruce C. Detter III

I recently upgraded a WinNT 4.0 PDC to Win2K Server. After adding in two new Domain Controllers (W2K) the former PDC will not relinquish control and become a peer with the other W2K Active Directories. I have made the two new Active Directories Global Catalogs and this does not seem to help. All machines have SP4 installed. How do I make all Domain Controllers/Active Directories peers rather than the original Domain Controller retaining dominance.

Thanks...

D

Danny Sanders

I recently upgraded a WinNT 4.0 PDC to Win2K Server. After adding in two new Domain Controllers (W2K) the former PDC will >not relinquish control and become a peer with the other W2K Active Directories.

"Relinquish control" of what?

What is happening that makes you think something is wrong? AD DCs operate in multimaster mode except for the 5 FSMO roles there is nothing you have to *do*.

hth
DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

I recently upgraded a WinNT 4.0 PDC to Win2K Server. After adding in two new Domain Controllers (W2K) the former PDC will not relinquish control and become a peer with the other W2K Active Directories. I have made the two new Active Directories Global Catalogs and this does not seem to help. All machines have SP4 installed. How do I make all Domain Controllers/Active Directories peers rather than the original Domain Controller retaining dominance.

Thanks...

H

Herb Martin

"Danny Sanders"
"Relinquish control" of what?
What is happening that makes you think something is wrong? AD DCs operate
in multimaster mode except for the 5 FSMO roles there is nothing you have
to *do*.

What Danny said AND ....

If you are having trouble with multiple Win200x DCs then the
problem is almost always DNS related as long as you have
basic connectivity (IP, hardware etc.)

Unless you have already identified a particular problem then
run DCDiag on each DC and fix or report those problems it
discovers.

(Actually, running DCDiag regularly is a GREAT practice.)

C

Cary Shultz [A.D. MVP]

Bruce,

Not to be rude, but it is not very clear what you are asking. What I think you mean is that all of the client PCs are using only the upgraded DC for authentication services. I think that this link might help you:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=284937

Read it carefully and let us know if it helps you or not.....

--
Cary W. Shultz
Roanoke, VA 24012

WIN2000 Active Directory MVP
http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
(soon to be updated!!!)
http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com
(soon to be updated!!!)

Thanks...

Ask a Question