importing tabs with leaders from Word into Excel, or creating variable length "dots" in Excel

G

I am creating a telephone directory in Excel that has name, followed by dots (leaders) reaching the phone number. Some contain other info also. I am importing the text from a Word table into Excel. In Word, they created these dots using tabs with leaders. I'd like to import the leaders or be able to create a variable lenth string of dots in Excel. Can't seem to be able to do either. Any help out there?

G

Chica
I don't believe you can get the tab inserted dots in excel. Couldn't you use the gridlines or borders to get what you need

Good Luck
Mark Graesse
(e-mail address removed)

----- Chica wrote: ----

I am creating a telephone directory in Excel that has name, followed by dots (leaders) reaching the phone number. Some contain other info also. I am importing the text from a Word table into Excel. In Word, they created these dots using tabs with leaders. I'd like to import the leaders or be able to create a variable lenth string of dots in Excel. Can't seem to be able to do either. Any help out there?

G

the names of the individuals have variable lengths, if i did that it would be only the length of the cell between name and phone number, or the entire name would be underlined, right?

G

Mark, I have to see if this applies globally, but if i go to Format>cell>number custom and type @*. it seems to work. Will need some additional verification, but thanks for your help!

G

If the name and phone number are in adjacent cells, you can set the bottom border on each cell. Then you will get an underline that runs from the beginning on the name to the end of the phones number. You can find the Borders under Format>Cells in the pull-down menu

Good Luck
Mark Graesser

Ask a Question