IIS install error on XP Pro - Error loading Aspperf.dll

Derrick

I grabbed the actualy XP installation CD and ran the "Install Optional
Windows Components" from there, still getting the file copy errors below,
but the first dialog I get is now "Error loading
c:\windows\system32\Aspperf.dll"

If this rings any bells, I sure would appreciate hearing any suggestions,
this is driving me nuts.

And, ran the install as "Administrator" no dice, same error msg.

Thanks in advance!

Derrick

***************

I am trying to get IIS to run on my windows xp pro laptop.

When going to setup/add-remove programs/add remove windows components:

It looks as if IIS is installed, the box is checked, but I do not see W3SVC
or any other web server type name in services plugin.

Clicking "next" in the add/remove windows components box, with the defaults
checked (indcludes iis), it prompts me for zClientm.exe. I put the XP
install CD in, point to the i386 dir on it, add/remove doesn't like this.

So, I try to simply uninstall IIS by unchecking iis box in add remove, no
luck, prompted for zClientm.exe again.

I even expanded the contents of i386\*.??_ locally, setup does not like the
expanded files either.

Please help!!

Thanks in advance!

Derrick

Derrick

And... one other bit of info, I have the .NET framework 1.1 and .NET visual
studio installed if that makes any difference...

Carey Frisch [MVP]

To resolve the problem:

1. Open a CMD prompt.
2. Type the following commands:

cd /d %SystemRoot%\System32
unlodctr w3svc
unlodctr asp
unlodctr inetinfo
unlodctr msftpsvc
lodctr w3ctrs.ini
lodctr axperf.ini
lodctr infoctrs.ini
lodctr ftpctrs.ini

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"Derrick" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message:

|I grabbed the actualy XP installation CD and ran the "Install Optional
| Windows Components" from there, still getting the file copy errors below,
| but the first dialog I get is now "Error loading
| c:\windows\system32\Aspperf.dll"
|
| If this rings any bells, I sure would appreciate hearing any suggestions,
| this is driving me nuts.
|
| And, ran the install as "Administrator" no dice, same error msg.
|
| Thanks in advance!
|
| Derrick
|
| ***************
|
| I am trying to get IIS to run on my windows xp pro laptop.
|
| When going to setup/add-remove programs/add remove windows components:
|
| It looks as if IIS is installed, the box is checked, but I do not see W3SVC
| or any other web server type name in services plugin.
|
| Clicking "next" in the add/remove windows components box, with the defaults
| checked (indcludes iis), it prompts me for zClientm.exe. I put the XP
| install CD in, point to the i386 dir on it, add/remove doesn't like this.
|
| So, I try to simply uninstall IIS by unchecking iis box in add remove, no
| luck, prompted for zClientm.exe again.
|
| I even expanded the contents of i386\*.??_ locally, setup does not like the
| expanded files either.
|
| Please help!!
|
| Thanks in advance!
|
| Derrick

Derrick

Hi Carey -

Thanks for the suggestion, tried all the commands you listed, same result
when trying to install IIS.

I'm thinking it has something to do with .NET Framework/Visual Studio
installing *pieces* of IIS?

Thanks again

Derrick

C:\WINDOWS\system32>unlodctr w3svc

Unable to open driver SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\w3svc\Performance.
Statu
s: 2
C:\WINDOWS\system32>unlodctr asp

Unable to open driver SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\asp\Performance.
C:\WINDOWS\system32>unlodctr inetinfo

Unable to open driver
SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\inetinfo\Performance. St
atus: 2
C:\WINDOWS\system32>unlodctr msftpsvc

Unable to open driver
SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\msftpsvc\Performance. St
atus: 2
C:\WINDOWS\system32>lodctr w3ctrs.ini

LODCTR
Updates Performance Monitor counter names and explain text for an
extensible
counter

Usage:
LODCTR [\\computername] filename
computername is the name of the remote computer.
Local machine is used if computername is not specified.
filename is the name of the initialization file that contains
the counter name definitions and explain text for an extensible
counter DLL.

LODCTR /S:<FileName>
save current perf registry strings and info to <FileName>

LODCTR /R:<FileName>
restore perf registry strings and info using <FileName>

Note: any arguments with spaces in the names must be enclosed within
Double Quotation marks.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>lodctr axperf.ini

LODCTR
Updates Performance Monitor counter names and explain text for an
extensible
counter

Usage:
LODCTR [\\computername] filename
computername is the name of the remote computer.
Local machine is used if computername is not specified.
filename is the name of the initialization file that contains
the counter name definitions and explain text for an extensible
counter DLL.

LODCTR /S:<FileName>
save current perf registry strings and info to <FileName>

LODCTR /R:<FileName>
restore perf registry strings and info using <FileName>

Note: any arguments with spaces in the names must be enclosed within
Double Quotation marks.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>lodctr infoctrs.ini

LODCTR
Updates Performance Monitor counter names and explain text for an
extensible
counter

Usage:
LODCTR [\\computername] filename
computername is the name of the remote computer.
Local machine is used if computername is not specified.
filename is the name of the initialization file that contains
the counter name definitions and explain text for an extensible
counter DLL.

LODCTR /S:<FileName>
save current perf registry strings and info to <FileName>

LODCTR /R:<FileName>
restore perf registry strings and info using <FileName>

Note: any arguments with spaces in the names must be enclosed within
Double Quotation marks.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>lodctr ftpctrs.ini

[...]

Please visit the IIS experts in the IIS newsgroup:

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!