If you're reading this, you have *way* too much time on your hands...

Reaction score
And quite obviously, so do I ;)

I found this board while doing a google search for lord knows what and signed up to help out one of your patrons with lord knows what issue. ;)

I'm starting a new job here in about a week, so I decided to go through the Applications help forum and knock out a fair number of <*edit* see note> issues , in an effort to bring me back up to speed in the area of technical support and that ever feared phrase, 'Customer Service'. If there's anything on these boards that is rather old but surely needs a look-at, let me know and I'll take a gander.

So far, you've all proven great customers, quick to understand fixes or suggestions and going that one step further. Quite a contrast compared to supporting the corporate world. ;)

Thanks much for being my unknowingly willing test subjects. Ooh, and don't worry about the guy whos coming around with a tranq-gun and ear-tags. Tiz standard procedure. :)

<Edit note: word 'folks' replaced with 'issues'. Sorry, Rocky was on... I was all into it... You know how it goes..>

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
You've been a great help Zhoul, you certainly know your stuff! :) Congrats on your new job too ;)

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Zhoul said:
I'm starting a new job here in about a week

Well done on the new job! :D Who are you going to be working for?

Thanks much for being my unknowingly willing test subjects

Great to have you here, although I think of myself more as Alice than the White Rabbit ;)

Reaction score
Bellsouth be the company and Network Manager be the title (fancy name for tier 3 DSL support and development). Interestingly, this position and a few others opened up because Bellsouth just finished moving most of their Tier 1 support over seas. They've since been able to ramp up their 2nd and 3rd tier teams because, while they were paying a bunch of morons 15-20 dollars an hour to answer the phone, now they're paying a bunch of morons 0.25 cents an hour (And these guys don't complain nearly as much as us *Grin*).

A lot of folks look down on outsourcing to other countries because "It takes jobs away from good ol' boy americans!". If we look at this situation, they've eliminated a bunch of lower end jobs and created more mid to upper level roles. I don't know about you, but I'm surely down for a trade like that any day.

The first tier support isn't any worse/better then it was when it was housed here in Atlanta. If anything, the foreign techs are actually trying to help, as opposed to just trying to get the customer off the phone.

Great to have you here, although I think of myself more as Alice than the White Rabbit

Alice... Forever the 'victim' of circumstance... which was usually brought on by her inability to resist drugs, even when she couldn't identify the specific type (...which was almost always. This is a true sign of a pill popper). So I suppose this does qualify her as a great "Unknowingly willing test subject".

The white rabbit, while obviously jacked up on speed, admitted many times it was *he* who was late. Stopped at home to get a quick bump (do you really think he was freaking out about white gloves?? I mean, hes a white rabbit.. he already has white hands..), then rushed to the queens place, where he basically said "Yes Yes, I know I'm late... chill out im here.. ooh by the way, theres a creepy b#$%h around, might want to check her out". He didn't even get his head cut off in the process which was an accomplishment of any X-chromosome lacking individual in her prolonged presence.

While he was a bit of a brown noser, there comes a time in a man's life, when he realises he is not king, but to get there, he must befriend his enemy, or at least make it appear that way. He was totally gonig to kill off the queens husband, marry the queen (she obviously has a thing for the shorter crowd), then kill her too. After all, who would ever suspect something as cute as a white wabbit?

=)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Something else that confused me about the white rabbit, was his inability to properly identify "Mary-Anne". If Mary-Anne were his wife, or maid, you'd think he would realise Alice isn't Mary-Anne. As time drilled on and I figured out his secret plot, it became obvius that Mary-Anne was nothing more then a call-girl he had over the night before. After the first couple, they all look the same. This also explains why she knew where his "White Gloves" were. *evil grin*

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
Hello, and Welcome to PC Review.
We hope you enjoy your stay here. :)
Good luck with the new job!

Reaction score
Hi Zhoul.
Im kinda like ya. I was googlin for PCflank and found muckshifter post started reading and started posting.
I used to post at PCflank but I havent done in a while.
I was enginerrin techin at Honeywell in Albuquerque NM and my Job was exported to Mexico.
So Im a pour starvin student now.
I have a lot more experience troubleshooting electronics down to the component levels and working with computer hardware than software side of it.
Like I know how to fix most the problems with Windows and the net but I dont know a lot about the rest of it, so I dont think Ill post very much on MS office.

Im new at this post and mabe they need a few hardware geeks here.

Keep coming back and enjoy

The tech with guns

Reaction score
Zhoul said:
And quite obviously, so do I ;)

So far, you've all proven great customers, quick to understand fixes or suggestions and going that one step further. Quite a contrast compared to supporting the corporate world. ;)

Wow, I know exactly what you mean, I do customer support for a US company. Though Sadly I can't give out the name, All I can say is that they are the leading electroniocs sales industry in the U.S. I do very very simple hardware support. But even things so basic as a power cycle can take 15-20 min. I agree talking to everyone here is a Joy, and I have learned soo much here. And I always use this knowlege to help my customers.

Reaction score
Your doing good.
Someone on a phone on the other side of the world cant pysically troubleshoot the I.T. stuff on this side.

Ask a Question