IE6 window z-order problem

IE will frequently not respond to clicks on the icons in the Taskbar for a
running instance. The instance will stay in the background and will not move
to the foreground even if you use Alt+Tab to attempt to gain focus. To
access the window, I have to minimize everything above it in the z-order.

Ideas?

Thanks,

Cameron

Don,

Thanks! That was it. Odd that I'd initially set that using TweakUI over a
year ago and never experienced this effect until about a week ago. Anyway,
the windows are now functionally normally. I appreciate it!

Cameron

Don Varnau said:
Hi,
[Assuming Windows XP]
See:
886217- New program window appears behind all other open windows on Windows
2000, Windows XP or Windows Server 2003

Note (in that article) that TweakUI can make the registry edit, if you don't
wish to do it manually.

The UNDO file at http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm (line #66
right-side) makes the same registry edit.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

Cameron said:
IE will frequently not respond to clicks on the icons in the Taskbar for a
running instance. The instance will stay in the background and will not move
to the foreground even if you use Alt+Tab to attempt to gain focus. To
access the window, I have to minimize everything above it in the z-order.

Ideas?

Thanks,

Cameron

Don Varnau

Hi,
Glad that it worked for you. Thanks for reporting back.

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

Cameron said:
IE will frequently not respond to clicks on the icons in the Taskbar for a
running instance. The instance will stay in the background and will
not
move
to the foreground even if you use Alt+Tab to attempt to gain focus. To
access the window, I have to minimize everything above it in the z-order.

Ideas?

Hi Don,

I know this post is somewhat closed now but unfortunately, that solution
didn't actually work for me. I thought it had but it now appears that only
certain IE6 instances will actually come to the foreground when I click on
their icon in the taskbar. I have not been able to establish any patterns to
it (e.g. only windows from the same process do this, etc).

Interestingly, no other programs exhibit this behavior (including Firefox).

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Cameron

"Cameron" <Cameron[at]discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
IE will frequently not respond to clicks on the icons in the Taskbar for a
running instance. The instance will stay in the background and will not
move
to the foreground even if you use Alt+Tab to attempt to gain focus. To
access the window, I have to minimize everything above it in the z-order.

Ideas?

Don Varnau

Hi,
My only other idea is to disable add-ons, toolbars, BHOs, context menu
items... anything that hooks into Internet Explorer. IE> Tools> Manage
add-ons would be the place to start (IE6 XP SP2)

Toolbar Cop from http://windowsxp.mvps.org/toolbarcop.htm may help.

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

:
[...]

Hey Don,

I installed ToolbarCop (awesome tool) and gradually began shutting things
down.
To make a long story short, it turned out to be Norton Internet Security
2006 ad
blockers that were doing it. What made it especially weird was that an IE
window
that was behaving fine would, after a seemingly random amount of time,
suddenly
stop responding. Anyway, that was the fix and all is well.

Thanks again!

Cameron