From: "Cal" <[email protected]>Sent: 9/4/2003 2:59:48 PM

Subject: Microsoft Internet Explorer has encountered a problem ...
..... and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

AppName: iexplore.exe
AppVer: 6.0.2800.1106
ModName: shell32.dll
ModVer: 5.50.4134.100
Offset: 00002006

This error does not fit any existing IE6 Knowledge Base articles. Win ME.

IE6 SP1
Version 6.0.2800.1106
Build 62800.1106
Product ID 55736-550-9518471-04411
Application Path C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer
Language English (United States)
Active Printer Not Available
Cipher Strength 128-bit
Content Advisor Disabled
Update Versions ;SP1;
Java VM Version 5.0.3810.0
IEAK Install No

siljaline

Cal,

How did you "reload" IE6? Did you perform the *repair* function via
Add/Remove Programs? I suspect that your Browser issue is not Spyware
related.

Run Hijack This, to be sure -
Go to:
http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/files/hijackthis.zip

Unzip, double-click "HijackThis.exe" and Press "Scan".

When the scan is finished, the "Scan" button will change into a "Save Log"
button.
Click: "Save Log" (generates "hijackthis.log")

Next, HijackThis | Config [button] | Misc Tools [button]
Click: Generate StartupList log [button] (generates "startuplist.txt")

Next, go to the below location: Spyware and Hijackware Removal Support.
http://www.spywareinfo.com/forums/index.php?s=8a236cdf61469fbad3bddbe810be0374&act=SF&f=11

Sign in, then copy and paste both files in your message.

HTH

--
siljaline

- Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

rob

This post did not attract an replies last night so, I thought I would try
again. I have reloaded IE6 and the problem persists. I've also done a full
virus scan with up-to-date definitions and an Adaware6 scan. Nothing seems
to help.

From: "Cal" <[email protected]>Sent: 9/4/2003 2:59:48 PM

..... and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

AppName: iexplore.exe
AppVer: 6.0.2800.1106
ModName: shell32.dll
ModVer: 5.50.4134.100
Offset: 00002006

This error does not fit any existing IE6 Knowledge Base articles. Win ME.

IE6 SP1
Version 6.0.2800.1106
Build 62800.1106
Product ID 55736-550-9518471-04411
Application Path C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer
Language English (United States)
Active Printer Not Available
Cipher Strength 128-bit
Content Advisor Disabled
Update Versions ;SP1;
Java VM Version 5.0.3810.0
IEAK Install No

.
What were you doing when the error occurred?
Is it occurring in the Internet Explorer or the File
Explorer (Shell Explorer)?
See if switching off any Toolbars and Browser Helpers has
an effect. On the Advance Tab of the Internet Options Tab
check the "Disable third-party Browser Helpers" option and
then restart IE to reproduce the error.
If this fixes the problem then you will know that it is
one of your Toolbars that is causing the problem.

Cal

Thank you but I had tried all you mention. The error was in IE6, not the
file Explorer. I was unable to start IR6 under ant circumstances without
immediately getting the shell32.dll error. A full reload did not help.
Finally I used IEradicator2 to remove all traces of IE6 and did a full
reload from an IE6 disk (the web site would not install IE6/SP1). Then I
upgrade via the web site to SP1 and all updates (took forever). Now only
one Critical Update (823559) will not install. Everything else seems to be
working normally.

I did nothing unusual that I can recall prior to the problem. Was browsing
(no place weird - my bank I think, which I've visited a zillion times),
closed IE6 normally, next time it would not open. The computer and all apps
worked otherwise normally. Very frustrating. I guess it is time to rebuild
the HD and spend the bucks for XP. With 6 computers in the house, its just
too darn expensive to do them all.