Windows XP IE6 on XP error - pls help!

Reaction score
this problem has been getting worse and it's effecting my work. i'm a graphic designer and i need to view sites etc.

i'm using explorer 6 sp2 and when i view certain sites i get page cannot be displayed. this happens more often than not.

anyone have any ideas? i was on the microsoft site and they had downloads for windows 2000, but i'm running XP.

thanks for any advice..........

Reaction score
Open IE
Tools =
Internet options=
Advanced =
Multimedia =
Make sure SHOW PICTURES is ticked.

Reaction score
that option was already ticked. i just don't get it, how can this problem just kind of start? anyway any other trick up your sleeve?

appreciate the help.

Reaction score
OK
Give me all the info you can, sites that it happens on, did it happen before or not on that particular site Etc:
Are you running Anti virus is it up to date.

Reaction score
hi,

well it seems to be working alright for the moment but i don't trust it!! anyway thanks for everything without guys like you there would be a lot more frustrated people out there.

but i will be back if it continues later. i'll give it a bit.

thanks

Reaction score
ok this problem is back. i can't go on like this. anyway:

i'm running XP ie6 sp2

today i couldn't get on http://www.freestylephoto.com/

i had to go into my history and click on that link on a day that it was working for and it ended up working for me.

!!!!!!!

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Who is your ISP ... you may need to use a PROXY server for your area.

;)

Reaction score
my isp is bell sympatico in montreal...how do i get another proxy server and how does this just happen?

Reaction score
meat_face said:
ok this problem is back. i can't go on like this. anyway:

i'm running XP ie6 sp2

today i couldn't get on http://www.freestylephoto.com/

i had to go into my history and click on that link on a day that it was working for and it ended up working for me.

!!!!!!![/Q
OK
First how long you had this Problem? you say go into history and the link works, do you use any kind of cleaner ie ccleaner?
have you a popup blocker?
is your anti virus up to date?
will stay on line to help.

Reaction score
it seems to happen on random sites and it's been going on for about 2 months. i have norton anti virus 2004 and it has recently expired.

no pop up blocker
no cleaner, i use ad-aware though.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
meat_face said:
my isp is bell sympatico in montreal...how do i get another 'proxy server and how does this just happen?
'Cos they (bell syspatico) changed something ... However, as you live in Canada it may well be a simple problem with your Winsock, though these are not easy to put your finger on.

Go to Start/Run and type
CMD and press <Enter>
type ipconfig /flushdns and press <Enter> (there is a space in there)
type <exit> to close the CMD

... then clear your TIF, and re-boot.

Reaction score
Right
go to restore =take the pc back to the time BEFORE you started having the problem 2 mths MARCH 2005 then try it, its ok you can undo the restore pont. with ad-ware you may have altered you privacy settings? by restoring it should solve the problem
IF it works after that I will give you a link for FREE anti virus.
I will wait on line untill 9.00

Reaction score
Start=click=go to programs=accessories=system tools= restore#in restore it will ask what you want to do= pick RESTORE to an early time=click NEXT then go to the date on the calender HIGHLIGHT that date say 01/03/05
CLICK next it will start to run LEAVE it untill it restarts TWICE a box will appear to con firm it has finished.Then try the web.

Reaction score
Sounds like a winsock LSP problem. I wouldn't be surprised if Norton is at the root of it.

Hopefully, going back to a suitable system restore point should fix it without having to get too messy.

If that doesn't work for some reason you could try this handy page which just about covers all winsock problems including this. Not for the faint hearted though. Note: if you run the "netsh winsock reset catalog" command - this will affect Norton and you'd have to re-install it to let it load it's own LSP again.

Ask a Question