IE opens in maximize 1/2 inch below top of screen

Dorothy

Internet Explorer 6.0 suddenly opens in maximize 1/2 inch
below the top of the screen (the desktop is showing). If
I minimize it pops to the top but when I maximize, it
opens below the top.

DVarnau

Try:
With only the affected window open (and the taskbar NOT set to autohide)
grab the top of the taskbar and pull it up to twice its normal height. Then
close the window, resize the taskbar, reopen the window.
Or
With only that window open, right click the taskbar and choose "tile
vertically" (horizontally should also work.)
Or (a registry edit)
Q194759 - New Internet Explorer Window Opens Partially Off the Screen:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q194/7/59.asp

Don

FrankV

Neither of those fix the problem. I've had this for about a month now. It is
not IE. Look at the Windows screen and try to move an icon above that line.
You may see the same as I do where it cuts off the icon as goes past the 1/2
inch line.

Re-boot with safe mode and then the screen works correctly so it appears to
be a change in Windows but I have not yet been able to track down what is
doing it.

Using msconfig to temporary block all startup programs does not correct it
so it looks like it is a user control Windows option.

--
Frank Virginia
vze32975<at>verizon<dot>net

DVarnau said:
Try:
With only the affected window open (and the taskbar NOT set to autohide)
grab the top of the taskbar and pull it up to twice its normal height. Then
close the window, resize the taskbar, reopen the window.
Or
With only that window open, right click the taskbar and choose "tile
vertically" (horizontally should also work.)
Or (a registry edit)
Q194759 - New Internet Explorer Window Opens Partially Off the Screen:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q194/7/59.asp

Don
--
Newsgroup replies preferred, but e-mail address is...
don_04[at]varnau[dot]org
Dorothy said:
Internet Explorer 6.0 suddenly opens in maximize 1/2 inch
below the top of the screen (the desktop is showing). If
I minimize it pops to the top but when I maximize, it
opens below the top.

DVarnau

Has this machine been checked for adware, spyware, parasites?
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
Have you run a virus check?
The fact that it doesn't happen in safe mode hints that another program may
be interfering with IE.

There's an additional tip or two at:
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/ietips.htm
Scroll down to "Opening Internet Explorer Full Size "

Or one of these freeware programs might be helpful to you:
AutoSizer 1.4- http://www.southbaypc.com/AutoSizer/
IE New Window Maximizer http://www.jiisoft.com/iemaximizer/index.htm

Don

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP IE/OE

Dorothy said:
Internet Explorer 6.0 suddenly opens in maximize 1/2 inch
below the top of the screen (the desktop is showing). If
I minimize it pops to the top but when I maximize, it
opens below the top.

Go to Start | Run and type
regedit
and remove these registry key values:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\window_placement

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet
Explorer\Desktop\OldWorkAreas\OldWorkAreaRects

Then reboot.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

FrankV

Frank,
As I tried to explain the problem is not IE but Windows. You see this in
the normal Windows screen before using IE. IE is just following what Windows
has set up. The regedit lines you said to delete has nothing to do with
Windows which is causing the problem. I had deleted those two lines in
regedit last month just in case but it didn't do anything. There has to be
something else that is causing this.
Frank

"Dorothy" <anonymous[at]discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
Internet Explorer 6.0 suddenly opens in maximize 1/2 inch
below the top of the screen (the desktop is showing). If
I minimize it pops to the top but when I maximize, it
opens below the top.

Go to Start | Run and type
regedit
and remove these registry key values:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\window_placement

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet
Explorer\Desktop\OldWorkAreas\OldWorkAreaRects

Then reboot.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com
Reply to Newsgroup. I won't answer email
Protect Your PC

DVarnau

Frank V,

How about...
Change screen resolution, restart, change it back.
Reinstall display drivers.
Check for updated display drivers.
Run repair on IE.

Which OS are you running?

Don
- - - - - - - - - - - -

"DVarnau" <don_04[at]varnau[dot]org> wrote in message
[...]

I've already done everything you suggested and it didn't help. First thing I
did was reinstall the display driver.

XP Home V/2002

I have all XP and IE updates installed.

If I watch the screen carefully during boot it is perfectly OK until just
before it is released to me and I can see everything shifted down at that
point. To make it worse, third party shells can use the lost area so there
is basically nothing wrong with the monitor.

Frank

FrankV said:
I've already done everything you suggested and it didn't help. First
thing I did was reinstall the display driver.

XP Home V/2002

I have all XP and IE updates installed.

If I watch the screen carefully during boot it is perfectly OK until
just before it is released to me and I can see everything shifted
down at that point. To make it worse, third party shells can use the
lost area so there is basically nothing wrong with the monitor.

Frank

Okay, now I understand.
When the screen is handed over to you Windows switches it to the resolution
you want and that changes what settings the monitor is using. Use the
monitor controls to move the active window up. These controls are usually
on the front of the monitor. See your monitor documentation.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com
Reply to Newsgroup. I won't answer email
Protect Your PC

FrankV

Thanks but I've already tried the monitor adjustments and it didn't help.

Something else to consider: create a new account and it works correctly. Go
back to the original account and it shows up again. It means it is something
specific in the original account but I have not been able to find what is
causing it.

Frank

DVarnau

Sorry to rehash, but...

FrankV said:
Thanks but I've already tried the monitor adjustments and it didn't help.

Something else to consider: create a new account and it works correctly. Go
back to the original account and it shows up again. It means it is something
specific in the original account but I have not been able to find what is
causing it.

Frank

"Frank Saunders, MS-MVP IE/OE" <franksaunders[at]mvps.org> wrote in message
Okay, now I understand.
When the screen is handed over to you Windows switches it to the resolution
you want and that changes what settings the monitor is using. Use the
monitor controls to move the active window up. These controls are usually
on the front of the monitor. See your monitor documentation.

FrankV

I have AdAware, PestPatrol, SpyBot, HijackThis, ZoneAlarmPro and Norton2002.
If none of this can find a problem it means it is a simple Windows flag
changed someplace but where? I've looked with RegXTeq (about the best),
Aida, jvRegCleaner, RegScrubXP, Karen's tools and even MS TweakUI.

Frank
Sorry to rehash, but...

FrankV said:
[...]

Well, you could let the "bug" win and just set up a new user account. ;-)
But, I can understand your desire to find the problem file, flag or setting.

Don

FrankV

That was one of the first things I thought of doing. Problem was when I
create another account it doesn't have network connection (DSL) and many
other things. I was afraid to set it up with this new account because I
didn't know what would happen to the original. If the new didn't work I
might destroy the old in the process and then I would be in a real mess.

Thanks for help and if you happen to think of anything else please let me.

Frank

Jessica

Was searching the boards because I was experiencing the
same problem (IE BRowser maximized about a 1/2" from top
of screen and I could see desktop behind browser). After
hours of frustration my husband recommended the following
thing and one of them worked (not sure which one b/c I did
them one right after another):

-From the Toolbar select "Internet Options" and
under "Temporary Internet Files", click the buttons to
delete cookies and delete files
-From the Toolbar select "Internet Options" and
under "History", click the button to clear history

After I did all this I clicked ok/apply, closed the
browser and then reopened another browser window. When I
clicked maximize all was back to normal!

-Jessica

.