IE Getting Refreshed On Its Own!!

A

Arpan

I am working on Windows 2000 Professional & use IE6 as my default browser. Today I experienced a strange behaviour in IE. I opened Windows Explorer, then navigated to Tools->Folder Options, clicked the "View" tab & checked the "Show Hidden files & folder" checkbox. After doing so, I clicked the "Apply" button. Unexpectedly the 2-3 IE windows that were already opened refreshed themselves, automatically (I didn't refresh any of the pages that were open). The same thing happened again when I cliked the "OK" button in Windows Explorer to close the "Folder Options" window i.e. the IE windows refreshed automatically! Why's this happening? This is the 1st time I am seeing IE behaving so eccentrically!!

Just a question to cater to my inquisitiveness, that's all :)

Thanks,

Arpan

?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Altr=FCs?=

Hi,

Insofar as I understand your question, you are asking why the windows refresh after you enable the viewing of hidden files or folders.

I believe this is default, as the window needs to refresh to show the (previously) hidden content. When you click apply, it refreshes to apply the new setting - which implies it has to refresh the window.

Hope this helps,

Altrus
I am working on Windows 2000 Professional & use IE6 as my default browser. Today I experienced a strange behaviour in IE. I opened Windows Explorer, then navigated to Tools->Folder Options, clicked the "View" tab & checked the "Show Hidden files & folder" checkbox. After doing so, I clicked the "Apply" button. Unexpectedly the 2-3 IE windows that were already opened refreshed themselves, automatically (I didn't refresh any of the pages that were open). The same thing happened again when I cliked the "OK" button in Windows Explorer to close the "Folder Options" window i.e. the IE windows refreshed automatically! Why's this happening? This is the 1st time I am seeing IE behaving so eccentrically!!

Thanks,

Arpan

A

Arpan

I guess you haven't got the exact picture of what I am trying to say, Altrus. Yes, you are right in saying that windows need to refresh to show the (previously) content to apply the new settings. This holds true for WINDOWS EXPLORER windows but does the same happen with INTERNET EXPLORER BROWSER windows? A few assumptions might help you to understand what I am trying to convey.

Suppose I open WINDOWS EXPLORER & go to C:. I navigate to the "View" tab under Tools--->Folder Options & find that the radio button "Do not show hidden files & folders" under "Hidden files & folders" is checked. Also assume that there are 15 folders in C:\ but 5 of them are hidden. This means that under such a scenario, only 10 folders will be visible (as 5 are hidden) under C:.

After this, I again navigate to the "View" tab under Tools--->Folder Options & check the radio button "Show hidden files and folders" (which was unchecked prior to this) under "Hidden files & folders". I apply this new setting & as expected, C: gets refreshed & now all the 15 folders can be seen in C:. So what you are saying is perfectly right; the WINDOWS EXPLORER window does get refreshed.

Next, assume that 3 INTERNET EXPLORER 6.0 BROWSER windows are open at the same time. Now when this new setting is applied, apart from the C:\ drive under WINDOWS EXPLORER, the 3 INTERNET EXPLORER BROWSER windows (that are already open) also get refreshed simultaneously!Please note that my query is with respect to INTERNET EXPLORER 6.0 BROWSER, not with WINDOWS EXPLORER.

Now I have never seen INTERNET EXPLORER 6 BROWSER windows getting refreshed automatically when the "Hidden files and folders" option is changed from the "Folder Options" & this is exactly what I find strange! Atleast I haven't encountered INTERNET EXPLORER behaving like this; this might be one of IE's default feature, maybe I hadn't noticed it until a few days back!

Arpan

Hi,

Insofar as I understand your question, you are asking why the windows refresh after you enable the viewing of hidden files or folders.

I believe this is default, as the window needs to refresh to show the (previously) hidden content. When you click apply, it refreshes to apply the new setting - which implies it has to refresh the window.

Hope this helps,

Altrus

Thanks,

Arpan

Ask a Question