IE 7 question

Homer

I couldn't find a group for IE7 so I'm posting here. Not long ago, we
downloaded IE7. We're running XP Home and one of the users on this machine
is having problems with setting up preferences page that comes up when you
launch IE7. It requires the selection of preferences. But no matter what we
do, it says it can't save the settings. So we're unable to make another site
the homepage on IE. Any suggestions?

Vincenzo Di Russo [MVP]

Homer said:
I couldn't find a group for IE7 so I'm posting here. Not long ago, we
downloaded IE7. We're running XP Home and one of the users on this
machine is having problems with setting up preferences page that comes up
when you launch IE7. It requires the selection of preferences. But no
matter what we do, it says it can't save the settings. So we're unable
to make another site the homepage on IE. Any suggestions?

See (Ignore the title):
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945385
"A blank Web page is displayed when you start Internet Explorer 7".

Also see:
"Problem: IE always goes to http://runonce.msn.com/runonce2.aspx instead of
your homepage": http://www.enhanceie.com/ie/troubleshoot.asp

And:
http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/fix-ie-runonce3-aspx-every-startup/

Newsgroup for IE7 (microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general).
- Via NNTP server (your newsreader):
- Via Web:
http://www.microsoft.com/communitie...?dg=microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general

--
Vincenzo Di Russo

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM

Homer said:
I couldn't find a group for IE7 so I'm posting here. Not long ago, we
downloaded IE7. We're running XP Home and one of the users on this
machine
is having problems with setting up preferences page that comes up when you
launch IE7. It requires the selection of preferences. But no matter what
we
do, it says it can't save the settings. So we're unable to make another
site
the homepage on IE. Any suggestions?

It might be a security program blocking the Registry changes it needs to
make. A few, but not all, of the programs now doing this are:
Ad-aware's Ad-Watch
IBM Access Connections
Kaspersky
McAfee VirusScan and/or Antispyware
Norton AV
Spyware Blaster
Spybot> Tools> IE Tweaks
Spybot- Teatimer
Spysweeper
Spyware Doctor
Windows Defender
Zone Alarm (free) 6.5 Reported to be fixed in later versions.

In the case of Zone Alarm 6.5 or Norton 2007 it actually has to be
uninstalled. Make sure the Windows Firewall is turned on until you
reinstall Zone Alarm.

Boot into Safe Mode with Networking and try the change.