IE 6 Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to clos

I am using IE 6 with Windows XP professional. When I type a web address into
the address bar the page loads and then I get this error message: "Internet
Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the
inconvenience." When I select the link from my favorite list it loads with no
problem. How do I avoid losing all of my windows when I need to type in an
address that I do not have saved as a favorite?

Don Varnau

Hi,
Are you current on updates for IE and Windows? Several months ago a faulty
update was causing this problem. That was quickly corrected with a revised
update.

This might indicate a corrupted History folder. First, clear the IE history.
Next, if necessary, delete the History folder. A new one will be created on
restart.
The procedure [Windows XP]
Login as another user with administrator privileges, or from the machine's
default administrator account (startup in safe mode.) Make sure that you can
see hidden and system files (Folder Options> View) then delete the affected
History folder from Windows Explorer. It will be at [C:\Documents and
Settings\yourusername\Local Settings\History] Restart the computer.

315222 - A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP:

Try disabling add-ons (IE> Tools> Manage add-ons.) One of them might be
causing this.

Or, this might be a malware problem (adware, spyware, hijackers, etc.)
See these sites for help:
The Parasite Fight http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites:
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
Malware Removal and Prevention Overview - CastleCopsWiki:
http://wiki.castlecops.com/Malware_Removal_and_Prevention:_Overview
Bugs, Glitches & Stuffups: http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/Darnit.html
Removing Malware:
827315- Unexplained computer behavior may be caused by deceptive software:
What you can do about spyware and other unwanted software:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/spywarewhat.mspx
- -
Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

Go to Internet option's advanced screen and uncheck the option for enable
third party browser extension and then save settings.

Jessy said:
I am using IE 6 with Windows XP professional. When I type a web address into
the address bar the page loads and then I get this error message: "Internet
Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the
inconvenience." When I select the link from my favorite list it loads with no
problem. How do I avoid losing all of my windows when I need to type in an
address that I do not have saved as a favorite?

Hi
Just wanted to let you know that we have noticed this problem ever since
Microsoft did their last update about a week or so ago. All our PC's are
having the same problem with IE saying it has encountered a problem and needs
to close (send/don't send report). I would advise sending the error report
since Microsoft cannot know of problems like this unless a lot of people
suddenly report it back to them. Its very frustrating since it has happened
to us a number of times in the middle of trying to pay for stuff online at
the point when we think the transaction has gone through - but in fact it
hasn't!
Microsoft - get your act together!
Twinkle

Hi,

Jessy said:
I am using IE 6 with Windows XP professional. When I type a web address into
the address bar the page loads and then I get this error message: "Internet
Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the
inconvenience." When I select the link from my favorite list it loads with no
problem. How do I avoid losing all of my windows when I need to type in an
address that I do not have saved as a favorite?

I have been sending the error report ever time it happens.

Twinkle said:
Hi
Just wanted to let you know that we have noticed this problem ever since
Microsoft did their last update about a week or so ago. All our PC's are
having the same problem with IE saying it has encountered a problem and needs
to close (send/don't send report). I would advise sending the error report
since Microsoft cannot know of problems like this unless a lot of people
suddenly report it back to them. Its very frustrating since it has happened
to us a number of times in the middle of trying to pay for stuff online at
the point when we think the transaction has gone through - but in fact it
hasn't!
Microsoft - get your act together!
Twinkle

Hi,

"Jessy" <Jessy[at]discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
I am using IE 6 with Windows XP professional. When I type a web address
into
the address bar the page loads and then I get this error message:
"Internet
Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for
the
inconvenience." When I select the link from my favorite list it loads with
no
problem. How do I avoid losing all of my windows when I need to type in
an
address that I do not have saved as a favorite?

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM

Is SP2 installed?

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Twinkle said:
Hi
Just wanted to let you know that we have noticed this problem ever since
Microsoft did their last update about a week or so ago. All our PC's are
having the same problem with IE saying it has encountered a problem and
needs
to close (send/don't send report). I would advise sending the error
report
since Microsoft cannot know of problems like this unless a lot of people
suddenly report it back to them. Its very frustrating since it has
happened
to us a number of times in the middle of trying to pay for stuff online
at
the point when we think the transaction has gone through - but in fact it
hasn't!
Microsoft - get your act together!
Twinkle

Hi,

:

[...]

Robert Aldwinckle

I have been sending the error report ever time it happens.

Next time click on the [click here] in the same dialog
and capture the Error Signature.

Hint: you can select and copy the text there using your mouse and keyboard
but there is no right-click menu associated with it. E.g. doubleclick on a word,
press Ctrl-a, Ctrl-c and then paste the captured text into a reply.

---

thank god, I thought it was just me....This has been happening as someone
else said since most recent upgrade.. VERY ANNOYING.. I always send a report
onward. What was solution?

Frank Saunders said:
Is SP2 installed?

--

Twinkle said:
[...]

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE

diana toerge said:
thank god, I thought it was just me....This has been happening as someone
else said since most recent upgrade.. VERY ANNOYING.. I always send a
report
onward. What was solution?

Not only did you not answer my question, I'm not even sure what your problem
is.