IE 6.0 not loading web pages correctly

On webpages where there are ads displayed, IE6 is not loading the ads
correctly. In the frames where the ads are supposed to be, it either says
"The page cannot be displayed" or there is the red X in the box. Everything
else on the page loads correctly.

I have seen other people make posts with the same problem but all solutions
seem to have been something to do with mal-ware software. I am running
nothing of the sort.

I OCCASIONALLY run Hijackthis! but that doesnt run in the background. I also
run Kaspersky anti-virus as well but this is a new developement and I have
been running these programs for several months with no problem.

Can anyone help please?

Many thanks,

- Bill

Don Varnau

Hi,
Running a HOSTS file?

Assuming Windows XP...

Make sure that Windows is showing hidden files and is not hiding file
extensions for known file types then check for a HOSTS file at
[C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc] Open the HOSTS file with notepad. If there
are entries you wish to disable, you can put the pound sign (#) in front an
entry to disable it. Then File> Save. Or you can rename the HOSTS file to
HOSTS.OLD to disable it.
In Win 9x, the file will be at [C:\Windows]
In Win 2K, the file will be at [C:\WINNT\System32\Drivers\etc]

Additional info at:
The Hosts File (Gorilla Design Studio): http://www.accs-net.com/hosts/
Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts File:
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

I'm in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers and I see nothing named HOSTS, and yes I
am using XP

Thanks for the quick reply tho.

- Bill

Filthy Bill said:
On webpages where there are ads displayed, IE6 is not loading the ads
correctly. In the frames where the ads are supposed to be, it either says
"The page cannot be displayed" or there is the red X in the box. Everything
else on the page loads correctly.

I have seen other people make posts with the same problem but all solutions
seem to have been something to do with mal-ware software. I am running
nothing of the sort.

I OCCASIONALLY run Hijackthis! but that doesnt run in the background. I also
run Kaspersky anti-virus as well but this is a new developement and I have
been running these programs for several months with no problem.

Can anyone help please?

Many thanks,

Bill

Don Varnau

Hi,
You had made hidden and system files visible, right? If you're not running a
HOSTS file or a security/ad-blocking program (Norton, McAfee, Spysweeper,
etc) Work through the possibilities at
Red X- Pictures do not Show: http://www.fjsmjs.com/IE/redx.htm
and
IE- Images missing: http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/answers/51.html

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"Filthy Bill" <"Filthy" Bill[at]discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
On webpages where there are ads displayed, IE6 is not loading the ads
correctly. In the frames where the ads are supposed to be, it either says
"The page cannot be displayed" or there is the red X in the box. Everything
else on the page loads correctly.

I have seen other people make posts with the same problem but all solutions
seem to have been something to do with mal-ware software. I am running
nothing of the sort.

I OCCASIONALLY run Hijackthis! but that doesnt run in the background.
also
run Kaspersky anti-virus as well but this is a new developement and I have
been running these programs for several months with no problem.

Can anyone help please?

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE

"Filthy" Bill said:
I'm in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers and I see nothing named HOSTS, and yes
am using XP

You should look in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc for the Hosts file.

siljaline

If you occasionally run HijackThis, have you ever posted a log file
to an expert Forum for analysis?
If not, why not -
Please feel free:

Post it to /any/ of the following (expert) forums for analysis.
*Note, registration is required prior to posting a log.
- Not listed in any particular order -
(http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30)
(http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum22.html)
(http://www.dslreports.com/forum/cleanup)
(http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
(http://www.atribune.org/forums/index.php?showforum=9)
(http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Malware_Removal_HiJackThis_Logs_Go_Here-f37.html)
(http://gladiator-antivirus.com/forum/index.php?showforum=170)
(http://forum.networktechs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=130)
(http://forums.maddoktor2.com/index.php?showforum=17)
(http://www.spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5)
(http://forums.spywareinfo.com/index.php?showforum=18)
(http://forums.techguy.org/f54-s.html)
(http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?showforum=27)
(http://forums.subratam.org/index.php?showforum=7)
(http://www.5starsupport.com/ipboard/index.php?showforum=18)
(http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showforum=7)
(http://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
(http://makephpbb.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=2)
(http://forums.techguy.org/54-security/)
(http://forums.security-central.us/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
(http://castlecops.com/forum67.html)

Post back the URL where you posted your log, *not* the entire log.

Silj

--
siljaline

MS - MVP Windows (IE/OE) & Windows Security, AH-VSOP

Security Tools Updates
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=31

Reply to group, as return address is invalid that we may all benefit.