IE 5.5 and 6 - I also cannot start IE

Rod

I was having occasional problems with 5.5 terminating. I
upgraded to IE6 plus all patches from the Windows update
service. I also updated W2K to SP4 plus all patches. The
problem with IE became worse. Now, instead of failing
sometimes, IE will not start. I immediately receive the
pop up window with the "IE has encountered a problem and
must close" message. I've clicked on the send error to
Microsoft but am not convinced the transmission occurs.
Here is some of the info (cut and paste not allowed so I've
typed some. I can send the full info via a WORD attachment):

Exception Information:
Code: 0xc00000005 Flags: 0xc00000000
Record:0xc00...00 Address: 0x00000000012b43ce

Module 1
IEXPLORER.EXE
Image Base: 0x00400000 Image Size: 0x00019000
Checksum: 0x0001f159 Time Stamp: 0x3d6e022f
Version Information
Signature: feef04bd
StrucVer: 000100000
FileVer: (6.0:2800.1106)
ProdVer: (6.0.2800.106)
FlagMask: 0000003f
Flags: 00000000
OS: 00040004
FileType: 00000001

Module 28
sysqr.dll
Image Base: 0x012a0000 Image Size: 0x00026000
Checksum: 0x00000000 Time Stame: 0x3ffd1ca0
Version Information (everything is all 0000)

war17

1. Check if a program running in the background is interfering with Internet
Explorer. Temporarily disable all Norton programs, including anti-virus, win
doctor, recycle bin protect, and clean sweep. Disable any firewall or
ad-blocker.

2. Perform a repair of Internet Explorer. From Control Panel select
Add/Remove Programs. Scroll down to Microsoft Internet Explorer and
highlight it. Click on the Add/Remove button. When the IE Tools menu comes
up, select Repair. Click OK.

3. If repairing does not work, uninstall and reinstall IE. At the same IE
Tools menu, select "Restore the previous Windows configuration". Then
reinstall Internet Explore.

You can also access the IE Toolbar by clicking Start > Run and type

rundll32 setupwbv.dll,IE6Maintenance

Gary Doerfler

I am experiencing the exact same problem as of yesterday,
2/1/04. Only on my home PC and it does not occur on my
office PC. I have had IE 6 with SP1 installed all along
and this just suddenly started to happen. Any suggestions
to solution would be helpful. Thanks.

Gary

Don Varnau

Rod,
From Control Panel> Internet Options> Advanced uncheck "Enable third party
browser extensions." That should allow IE to open.

Then...
Run CWShredder from http://www.merijn.org/downloads.html It's been
the most helpful with this type of problem. CWShredder is only about 125 KB
so it could be downloaded from another machine onto a floppy disk if
necessary.

Search for and remove other malware and note the security tips at:
Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites:
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

You should re-enable browser extensions after the cleanup.

Regards,
Don

Don Varnau

Gary,
From Control Panel> Internet Options> Advanced uncheck "Enable third party

--
Newsgroup replies preferred, but e-mail address is...
don_04[at]varnau[dot]org

Gary Doerfler said:
I am experiencing the exact same problem as of yesterday,
2/1/04. Only on my home PC and it does not occur on my
office PC. I have had IE 6 with SP1 installed all along
and this just suddenly started to happen. Any suggestions
to solution would be helpful. Thanks.
[snip]