I need to restrict access to a public folder I published on the web

Dave W

Please read the posts from 12/24/03 that I copy & pasted
to the top here.

Subject: Re: How can I restrict access to a public
folder that is published as a website
From: "Dave W" <[email protected]>
Sent: 1/2/2004 8:34:27 AM

I looked, but for the life of me I cannot find where
that "folder" can be found. I looked in the "Internet
Services manager" as well as the "Microsoft Exchange" on
the program menu.

Dave

Randy Wilson

For starters, you are way off base on the newsgroup you are posting to!!
Second off, for your question about the web server, I will assume you are
using Win2k and IIS5, since you did not tell us anything about your
particulars.
Third, simple make sure you are using NTFS as your file system, then remove
Everyone from the permissions of the folders you want to protect (also
remove the IIS_<name> user accounts).
Fourth, while still in permissions, click the advanced tab and on the
permissions tab, uncheck "Allow inheritable permissions...." and check
"Replace permission entries..." (the wording may be slightly off, I am on a
Win2003 server)
Fifth, test it and make sure it works as you expect, if not go to the folder
above and follow step 4 but check both of the boxes to undo what you did in
step 4.

Sixth, grab a beer and wait for the complaints to start rolling in from
those who used to have access but now no longer do!

Randy