I need help with establishing a WAN between two of my shops, HELP ME PLS :(

Reaction score
Hey I own two local cupcake shops basically I just need to set up a connection that connect all my employees together despite the distance.

1.what type of connection and transmission media and internet shoud i use?
2.how do i connect all my employees to a local printer and fax?
3.what kind of data back up strategy do ive to use?
4.what kind of safeguards for security and privacy protection for the company data do ive to use?

i can't get the answer anywhere and I really need help :( :( , thank you guys so much.
xoxoxoxo

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
*** Please note: I do not recommend products for a specific reason. This is merely a reference.

Device: http://www.google.com/search?q=netgear+vpn+router&hl=en&biw=1680&bih=898&prmd=ivns&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=bsgmTo-eBorl0QHp4qXhCg&sqi=2&ved=0CH0QrQQ

Process: http://support.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/999/~/how-to-connect-netgear-vpn-client-software-to-fvs318-or-fvm318-routers

That being said, I would recommend a VPN/Firewall router. This allows you to place a device at either location and, provided that it is configured properly, will connect the locations via a secure tunnel through the internets.

2. Once you connect via a device as described above, any resources that you have on either network will be available to the remote network. This also relies heavily on configuration. You will need to configure folder shares, and then restrict those shares to particular users on your network to allow or deny access. Use the deny access sparingly. Create allow groups and add users to those groups according to requirements. Printers and faxes can be connected to a local machine and shared from there or connected to the network (if they are network capable) and shared in that manner. If you have to have your printer or fax connected to a PC to share, that machine must be on for print sharing to function properly.

3. Use a backup strategy that allows you to gather the information you desire. There is software that will assist you with backing up information, but that may take an installation on a few computers to gather the information you seek. Personally, I would go with a dedicated file server. This does not have to be an actual server, but another workstation that sits in the corner and shares information. This allows you to place all the important information in one location which makes for easier backups and central management for your data. Using a workstation as opposed to a server is cheaper, but has limitations. If you have more than 10 users on the network accessing information, the 11th will be denied. XP Pro has a limit of 10 concurrent connections. Windows 7, I am not certain at the moment.

4. If you implement the above strategies, you can expect reasonable security to your network. As long as users have passwords, that is step one. Making those passwords unique and "complex" (such as 1x3FHw6, a combination of letters and numbers, the more random the combination the more secure...usually) will provide you a certain level of security. A workstation is less secure than a server and a domain server is a bit more secure than a regular server. There are inherent costs associated with each. The ideal situation is to have more than one server (redundancy), running multiple copies of your data automatically (redundancy), with Active Directory (security) and connect your two locations via VPN (security).

I hope that helps a little bit.

Ask a Question