I have got caught by MS Anti Virus Virus

Reaction score
:blush::blush: What a silly Billy, Received a email this morning which had a link on it and without thinking I clicked on it and got a dose of MS Anti Virus virus cannot get on to the Internet and it will not allow me to run Microsoft Security essentials, Mailwareware Bytes, or download any security update or software so I am warning people that it is now being distributed by links on emails. At the moment I am running a Bart disc to reformat the C drive and rebuild the PC:cry:. I would recommend that if people do not have a good Internet Security software to get one because nether Microsoft own firewall or Security Essentials did not stop this dam menace or warn me.:mad:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Did you try running it in safe mode to see if your Anti virus works.....i had a similar nasty a couple of months ago but i got rid rid of it in safe mode. It did my head in though.

Reaction score
Yes I tried that CZ and the virus had switched off all security so it had to be a rebuild, serves me right being a cheapskate and not getting a good internet security softeware.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Microsoft own firewall or Security Essentials did not stop this dam menace or warn me
Nothing can guarantee the security of your computer ... sorry, but clicking on ANY link in an email is asking for potential problems, sad, I know, but one should never do it.

Did you have a backup? :nod:

Some tips for our readers:-

Don't be tricked into downloading malware
Be very cautious about opening attachments or clicking links in email or IM, or in posts on social networks (like TwitFace), even if you know the sender. Call to ask if a friend sent it; if not, delete it or close the IM window.

Avoid clicking Agree, OK, or I accept in banner ads, in unexpected pop-up windows or warnings, on websites that may not seem legitimate, or in offers to remove spyware or viruses.

Instead, press CTRL + F4.

If that doesn’t close the window, press ALT + F4 to close the browser. If asked, close all tabs and don’t save any tabs for the next time you start the browser.

Only download software from websites you trust. Be cautious of "free" offers of music, games, videos, and the like. They are notorious for including malware in the download.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
As Mucks pointed out, no AV or Anti-Malware software can guarantee to stop everythinng. Sometimes the offending nasty may be only hours old and the Anti Virus writers haven't caught up with it yet.

Interestingly, MS SE recently found two nasties for me when I was doing a file transfer across my network. It actually looked at the remote computer and found two pieces of Malware residing in Frostwire, which replaced Limewire.

I deleted the files but don't know if Frostwire still runs ok, I don't use it so uninstalled it.

Also worth mentioning that ever since Ashampoo claimed to have had their mailing list (read 'spam list') hacked, I've been inundated with Spam. Well, inundated by my standards anyway, it's gone from about two a day to around twenty a day.

I'm using the full version of Mailwasher and simple rule of thumb is - if you don't recognise the sender, bounce it back at 'em, no matter how tempting or legitimate it may sound. Certainly never, ever open it. The spammers, virus writers and malware distributors get wiser by the day and try to prey on our gullibility.

Don't let them.

Reaction score
I have had once before had this virus and Malwarebytes got rid of it that was a couple of years ago. This time Malwarebytes was not able able to find it I tried all my antimalware and anti virus in safe mode but no avail, in normal mode MS anti virus virus switches them off and none will run. So have had to do a full format (lucky I have a Bart disc with some software on it), reinstall Windows and now restoring filesfrom a back up. Dam nusance though. I am going to install G Dater Internet Security as I have used it before and found it to be very good as it has two different anti virus engines and on test reviews has the highest catch rate of all security software.

Ask a Question