I copied Visible Cells Only, but it pastes only the first cell

W

wardwebber6

I have a worksheet, one of whose columns (Dates) consists of dates. Many ofthe dates are in a bad format where the user didn't know part of the date,like "3/?/2009", or "9/9/?". I want to clean up the Dates column by movingthe bad dates into a new column I've created(Doubtful Dates).

To do this, I first filtered the worksheet to show only rows where the dates are bad. Now I want to move the contents of the Dates column into the Doubtful Dates column.

I select the Dates column and then use Select Visible Cells Only. The column goes gray, except for the first cell, which is white. Then I choose Copy.. Each of the cells now has an ant trail around it. I then select the firstcell of the Doubtful Dates column and choose Paste. But the only cell thatpastes is the first copied cell, not all the copied cells.

I've experimented with other copy/pastes on the filtered worksheet, with the same result. Interestingly, if I do the paste into a new, blank, unfiltered worksheet it's successful; all the cells paste properly.

I could move one cell at a time from Dates to Doubtful Dates, but that would take forever. Anybody have any ideas or workarounds?

O

Ookla the Mok

If I am correct you answered your own question in your question.

Hint: What is the difference between your worksheet and the new worksheet?

If you can't get it I'll tell you but you should try first.

Regards,
Gabriel

Ask a Question