I can't clear passwords in IE

pattycake

I tried clearing my Saved Passwords under Auto Complete Settings & the
program hangs > the hour glass just goes forever & when then I get
Program Not Responding. I need to clear my saved passwords. Does
anybody know a fix for this? I tried deleting PWD from the Registry
but that did not help.

Emrys Davies

pattycake said:
I tried clearing my Saved Passwords under Auto Complete Settings & the
program hangs > the hour glass just goes forever & when then I get
Program Not Responding. I need to clear my saved passwords. Does
anybody know a fix for this? I tried deleting PWD from the Registry
but that did not help.

What is your OS?

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Emrys Davies

pattycake said:
XP Home - IE 6.1

If it was Win98 SE I would have said to search for *.pwl in Find Files
and Folders and all of your passwords would be revealed. Don't know
about XP Home.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Don Varnau

Hi,
You probably have a corrupted registry key. Run regedit and make your way to
this key
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\ Internet Explorer\ IntelliForms\ SPW]
Export the IntelliForms key... select it> Registry> Export. That way the
deletion can be undone if necessary. Then delete the SPW key- just the SPW
key and restart the machine.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

pattycake

As stated in my post, I did this once already. I mistakenly typed PWD,
but I it was the SPW key that I deleted. Anyway I will try this again
& reboot this time.

pattycake

I did exactly this > "[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Mi­crosoft\
Internet Explorer\ IntelliForms\ SPW]
Export the IntelliForms key... select it> Registry> Export. That way
the deletion can be undone if necessary. Then delete the SPW key- just
the SPW and restart the machine" It did not help. Program Not
Responding. Anything else I can do?

Don Varnau

Hi,
Try Protected Storage PassView v1.62 (NirSoft)
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/pspv.html
See if PSPV will let you delete saved passwords.

Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

"pattycake" <libraaa50[at]yahoo.com> wrote in message
I did exactly this > "[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Mi­crosoft\
Internet Explorer\ IntelliForms\ SPW]
Export the IntelliForms key... select it> Registry> Export. That way
the deletion can be undone if necessary. Then delete the SPW key- just
the SPW and restart the machine" It did not help. Program Not
Responding. Anything else I can do?

Robert Aldwinckle

pattycake said:
XP Home - IE 6.1

There is a service associated with passwords in XP Pro called:
Protected Storage (not sure about XP Home.)

Further it apparently has a dependency for Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

See if you have both running or if not if you can make both run.

FWIW according to tasklist /svc

RpcSs runs in its own svchost.exe

and ProtectedStorage shares lsass.exe
with PolicyAgent and SamSs

If both are running but you are still hanging you might get
some more clues from the following commands (entered
in a cmd window):
sc queryex protectedstorage
sc queryex rpcss

(I'm thinking that some non-zero values displayed
by those commands might indicate at least that
we are on the right track.)

Other clues might be obtained from PSPV
("Protected Storage Pass View" freeware)
if it also has trouble trying to access password information.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

pattycake

I checked the Services they are both running. I ran both cmd's you
mentioned. I'm sorry this is where it gets over my head. I have no
idea what any of this means. Does this tell you anything?

C:\Documents and Settings\mainguy> sc queryex protectedstorage

SERVICE_NAME: protectedstorage
TYPE : 120 WIN32_SHARE_PROCESS (interactive)
STATE : 4 RUNNING

(STOPPABLE,NOT_PAUSABLE,IGNORES_SHUTDOWN)
WIN32_EXIT_CODE : 0 (0x0)
SERVICE_EXIT_CODE : 0 (0x0)
CHECKPOINT : 0x0
WAIT_HINT : 0x0
PID : 564
FLAGS : RUNS_IN_SYSTEM_PROCESS

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\mainguy> sc queryex rpcss

SERVICE_NAME: rpcss
TYPE : 20 WIN32_SHARE_PROCESS
STATE : 4 RUNNING

(NOT_STOPPABLE,NOT_PAUSABLE,IGNORES_SHUTDOWN)
WIN32_EXIT_CODE : 0 (0x0)
SERVICE_EXIT_CODE : 0 (0x0)
CHECKPOINT : 0x0
WAIT_HINT : 0x0
PID : 724
FLAGS :
In the meantime, I am going to search for that freeware program you
mentioned to see if that helps. Thanks for any info you may have.

Just to let you know, I'm having exactly the same problem.

I'll go through some of these suggestions but I think it's a basic problem
with IE6.

You're not alone, pattycake.

Andy

I have the same problem. The above solutions haven't worked for me. Any
other ideas besides just "giving up"? Thx !