i-Buddie 4 Desknote Review

Reaction score
thanks , one more thing

doddel said:
.. a fatal mistake is easily made during reassembly. Actually no harm is done by just leaving that screw out. There are plenty others to hold everything together.

do you have any diagram for the screw types and their positions.. i'd like to know where each one them goes.. i think i messed up during ressemblying.

Reaction score
Good information. The "a screw is a screw" theory does not work on our little machines. Thanks for one of the reasons why. Ive had mine apart several times and always use the "tape" method with sucess.

Reaction score
A928 i-Buddie with WXGA output ; wide screen XGA

Although I read it couldn't be done, it actually can be done: an A928 i-Buddie 4 properly driving an external wide screen LCD monitor.
Limitation: the A928's own LCD will be dead, so this is only useful for a permanent arrangement that uses an external monitor. Have not tried it yet with Windows, but under Linux works 100%.
Required: facility to flash the BIOS rom chip.
The firmware to be flashed (back up the original one):
http://www.dorpstraat.com/A928/A928wxga.rom
Example of adaptation under Debian linux of the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file:
http://www.dorpstraat.com/A928/wxga_mods
This will enable the wide sreen XGA modes like 1440x900 that gives nice results here.

Do this entirely at your own risk; no guarantee, no support.

For the developers and experimenters:
Tools used to do this were
Bios editor AMI version 7.6:
http://www.dorpstraat.com/A928/amibcp76.exe
(DOS application)
Recent video bios from SiS, version 2.30, single graphics channel driver
http://www.dorpstraat.com/A928/sis23001.bin
Latter was used to replace the old, but dual display capable, driver in the last official bios:
http://www.dorpstraat.com/A928/A928_030820.rom

Reaction score
David Cai Fixed Another Two

Feedback from a member that has 70+ POSTS, SINCE 2005:
HEY, GUYS AND GIRLS,
David fixed two more of my little piles of crap. My network was up to 4, one got stolen, one toasted but got me by until these two came back. Sending "Mr. Toast" in next. As I've posted before, fast turnaround, fair pricing. Can't go wrong sending these in to David.
AL

Reaction score
second monitor extend desktop

Ok, we were talking about this a while back, finally got a Triton See2 VGA usb adapter. It works, but pointer works poorly on external monitor. When I use second monitor plugged directly into back of laptop, it works great except only option is mirror. When I use the USB adapter I get extended desktop but poor pointer performance. Tried the usual suspects. Anyone can help me with this?

Reaction score
booting the A928 from a USB pen drive

To share my experiences:
1. go into BIOS with the USB pen-drive inserted and select as first boot device USB RMD-FDD
2. use a recent (fast) pen drive / memory stick; some older ones may not work and make the system hang
3. apply a special formatting to the drive which makes it appear as a ZIP drive (partition # 4) while also allowing partitions for your OS; I used an image with tricked bootsector and partition table that comes with Puppy linux and can be put on the drive using the linux dd command and uses the syslinux boot loader put on a FAT partition #4; then put the linux kernel there which will find the rest of the OS on another partition to be defined and formatted (point 4 here). Alternatively if hooked to Windows you can find on the net a program made by HP that formats USB pen drives using FAT .
4. create another partition #1 with the filesystem of choice; I used ext3. Put the OS file system there.
5. edit syslinux.cfg so to boot your OS

The A928 can now boot with just DDR RAM and the USB pen drive and no harddisk and no CD/DVD to do certain specific tasks. E.g. I use one with Debian linux and the Asterisk telephone PBX software on it and two ISDN adapters as a telephone exchange combining fixed line and internet telephony. Works fine, is rock stable, silent, and no moving parts (apart theoretically from the fans but they don't get activated as the CPU has little to do and the A928 stays very cool doing this sort of task).

Last edited:
Reaction score
Mr Toast back

Just got #3 back from David, not the usual melted pin problem, had to replace several IC chips. Working great. PS Anyone read my post on dual monitors?

Reaction score
advice needed

neilsheddan said:
I bought an i-buddie 4 A928 about a year ago now (P4 2.2GHz, 512 DDR mem, 15.1" screen) and have until now absolutely no problems. The system has been running Windows 2000 wiith no hickups at all and that has also included a lot of work related programs (for which the system has to be fairly reliable). This computer was an absolute dream for me as I was on a tight budget and for the money I cant complain. Or not really - the lack of battery is sometimes a little irritating but then again who really does that much work on a train. The supplier of my i-buddie 4 (a company in Britain) have been nothing short of what I would have hoped for but maybe not expected. Anyone who has any kind opf question feel free to email me and I will give you my honest opinion.

I intend to buy the buddie soon as a used item but i am concerned about the burnt power cord and overheated cpu.
Can anyone here give me some advice?
I know it is 6yrs too late but better late than never.If no one has a working model,then,i think the 2nd hand model is not worth buying.
Any advice is ok with me!
Thanks

Reaction score
Vortex-5 said:
Well the laptop is working fine after repair however I fear the solder is probably not as strong as the original plastic + glass composite that held the plug in place.

Probably with a few more pulling and unplugging the peg would fall out again.

If it does I'll take a pic and post it here but until then I'd rather not open my laptop again for the time being... it takes me almost 3 hours (2.5 of which is spent opening and closing the laptop) to do the repair job.

However I found someone from another site with similar problems. (peg fell out) so it's most likely a design flaw.
An offer for a used buddie came to me but i am hesitant to buy it since it has heat related issues.
Any advice from anyone will be appreciated
thanks

Reaction score
@laptopca
If you buy a i-Buddie you will only enjoy it when the internal power circuit has been repaired and a new CMOS battery been placed. Additionally probably some studs that fixate heatsinks onto the motherboard will need to be soldered back on; not difficult. And do clean the CPU heatsink and make sure it is in good thermal contact with the CPU. I normally remove the conducting foil and just use a bit of heat conducting paste.
The unit then stays very cool and even at full continuous CPU load the i-Buddie only makes modest fan noise.
The repair is not just the power connector and loose pin. They are just the symptoms of an underlying problem: the internal power circuit (that converts the incoming 18 V DC to the various lower voltages needed by CPU, memories and circuits) turns unstable due to ageing of the electrolytic capacitors and a somewhat weak power converter circuit design to start with that is sensitive to that ageing.
I've described in an earlier post how to correct this; it is not difficult but requires soldering some components onto the motherboard and in order to do so complete disassembly of the unit is necessary. That involves a multitude of screws of a variety of sizes that need be put back correctly. Again not difficult but it requires some discipline.

Done all that a nice desktop PC results that operates silently and is very stable. I have 5 of them operational and they never fail. At the cost of second hand ones one can afford to give them dedicated tasks and operating systems.
The memory can be upgraded to 1 GB and the CPU to 2.8GHz.
If you don trust yourselve with the above kind of thing I would not recommend buying one as the power problem is a systematic design error and /or component quality deficiency.

Last edited:
Reaction score
thanks

thanks for the nice reply..i could not find an i buddie so i finally gave up and got an acer..all in all,it is ok..byeeee

Reaction score
Review after 7 years

I just found this website today. It is great! I thank doddel for his info. I bought my I buddie 4 on 5/4/02. I had no problems with it untill 2 months ago when the connection started acting up. The original power supply would have a startup problem if left in a cold car but once it was at room temp it was fine. I see some had the feet break off these are fine. Changed the battery about a year ago. I have a desk that I cut a hole in under the computer and put a fan. This thing runs 24/7 most of the time. The CD/DVD/RW is a bit funcky once in a while but I am always haveing trouble with CD writers.

Last edited:
Reaction score
BIOS update

I have not been able to find a BIOS update. My BIOS date is 5/16/2002. Does someone know if and where a newer update is.
Thank you for any help.

Reaction score
johnydii said:
I have not been able to find a BIOS update. My BIOS date is 5/16/2002. Does someone know if and where a newer update is.
Thank you for any help.
Welcome to the board.
Not sure about the BIOS, do you think you need an update?

Reaction score
After having my A928 useless for 4 years (almost trash it), with a melted power cable and broken power jack, among other problems, I found this forum and decided to contact David Cai. He fixed it in a professional and inexpensive way, gave me some advice and even fixed other problems the desknote had without additional charge. If you have a power system problem he is the right person. DC SYSTEM, Tel: (416) 788-6788 (e-mail address removed)

Reaction score
Happy4ever said:
After having my A928 useless for 4 years (almost trash it), with a melted power cable and broken power jack, among other problems, I found this forum and decided to contact David Cai. He fixed it in a professional and inexpensive way, gave me some advice and even fixed other problems the desknote had without additional charge. If you have a power system problem he is the right person. DC SYSTEM, Tel: (416) 788-6788 (e-mail address removed)

Hi ya Happy4 ever

Welcome to the forum...Please do yourself a favour and edit your post and remove your phone number and e-mail address, unless you lie getting spammed and prank called..

Reaction score
I fixed the power supply the next day. I was looking for a bios update download.
I am unemployed so I can't afford much of anything I ran a piece of zip cord from an old power supply to the A928 it is fine.

Reaction score
I'd wait for David to fix it even if he dosen't respond right away, which has never been the case yet. Less then a 3 week turnaround to the US for a quality, not mickeymouse, as you discribe, fix. The 3 prongs are swiching for the battery as well as power, and the battery pigtail is different wiring then the AC adapter. Maybe those 4 plus or minus screws could be important, you think?
Best of luck--
AL
Albroswift

I have an ibuudie 928a for sale

Do you need a 5th

contact (e-mail address removed) thanks

Ask a Question