Hyperlinking to Word documents

Ben

Hi, bit new to this so forgive me if this is a really
stupid quesntion. I am having trouble hyperlinking to word
documents, I use FP200 and when I click the link it opens
the document in my browser IE6 (which is no good). I need
it to open the document in word so I can add stuff and
email it on. Any ideas? hope somebody can help!

Kevin Spencer

Hi Ben,

When you think it's opening in your browser, it is opening in Word, which is
being hosted by your browser. You can do anything with it that you could do
with Word alone. Note that the document downloaded is NOT the original
document, but a copy.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

Ben

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the fast reply, another annoying qquestion for
you - how do I then email that document? the send option
only allows me to email a link or a blank document. If I
can explain - I have various Word templates that I want
people to fill in and email back to me, the end users are
pretty computer shy and cannot be trusted to save the
document and attach it to an email ect. When I did this
before it gave us the option of clicking send, then send
as attachment, which would send the updated document - any
ideas?

Kevin Spencer

I don't understand the question. You have the same options and commands in
Word when it is hosted in a browser as you have without the browser.

If I knew more about what you're using these Word documents for, I could
make other recommendations. My guess is that you don't really want to use a
Word document for collection user data.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

Rick Budde

This sounds like what I like to call the "hammer and
nail" mindset. That is, I know how to use a hammer (ie,
Word) and everything else in the world is a "nail" so the
hammer should do the job for everything.

It sounds like you should look into using Front Page
forms for the collection of your data. Your web service
provider would have to provide Front Page Extensions for
these forms to function.

You have probably seen similar forms on the net. The form
consists of various form elements (text boxes, combo
boxes, check boxes, etc.). The user fills out the form,
clicks the Submit button and the email appears in your
inbox listing the user data. Forms also have the ability
to insert the data into a database for you if you so
desire.

Ben \(again!\)

Sorry Kevin I'm not explaining myself very well! I dont
have the same options in hosted word as I do in normal
word, the options to send item via email are not the same
all the options apart from Save appear to be browser
options, if I get chance tommorow I could send you a
screen shot? I really appreciate the help, I have
contacted my IT people but they haven't got much of an
idea how to help.

Basically I have a set of Word Document templates produced
by other departments which people need to fill in and
email, they have to arrive at the intended person in the
same format. Perhaps there is a better way to do this but
I don't know how, I have thought of using a FP submission
form but the submission needs to be in the same layout.

Hope this meakes a bit more sense? Thanks Ben

Kevin Spencer

Hi Ben,

It would help if you told us what the data being collected is.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

Crash Gordon

I'm not sure we have enough info to solve this. The way I am hearing (seeing) it...is:

We have a Word.dot stored on computer shy user's machine that they fill out and try to email to Ben.

I just tried this with my .dot templates....

Open Template
Fill in Template
Click on Sent To
Choose Email Recipent
Fill in Address
Send Email ... done.

I'm not sure why Ben is getting envolved with a Browser issue at all.
Unless, I'm just misunderstanding the entire processssss.

| Hi Ben,
|
| It would help if you told us what the data being collected is.
|
| --
| HTH,
| Kevin Spencer
| .Net Developer
| Microsoft MVP
| Big things are made up
| of lots of little things.
|
| | > Sorry Kevin I'm not explaining myself very well! I dont
| > have the same options in hosted word as I do in normal
| > word, the options to send item via email are not the same
| > all the options apart from Save appear to be browser
| > options, if I get chance tommorow I could send you a
| > screen shot? I really appreciate the help, I have
| > contacted my IT people but they haven't got much of an
| > idea how to help.
| >
| > Basically I have a set of Word Document templates produced
| > by other departments which people need to fill in and
| > email, they have to arrive at the intended person in the
| > same format. Perhaps there is a better way to do this but
| > I don't know how, I have thought of using a FP submission
| > form but the submission needs to be in the same layout.
| >
| > Hope this meakes a bit more sense? Thanks Ben

Crash Gordon

Unless of course the Word Template is on his webpage...but it should still work the same way....better to use a FP Form page I would think.

R.

I'm not sure we have enough info to solve this. The way I am hearing (seeing) it...is:

We have a Word.dot stored on computer shy user's machine that they fill out and try to email to Ben.

I just tried this with my .dot templates....

Open Template
Fill in Template
Click on Sent To
Choose Email Recipent
Fill in Address
Send Email ... done.

I'm not sure why Ben is getting envolved with a Browser issue at all.
Unless, I'm just misunderstanding the entire processssss.

| Hi Ben,
|
| It would help if you told us what the data being collected is.
|
| --
| HTH,
| Kevin Spencer
| .Net Developer
| Microsoft MVP
| Big things are made up
| of lots of little things.
|
| | > Sorry Kevin I'm not explaining myself very well! I dont
| > have the same options in hosted word as I do in normal
| > word, the options to send item via email are not the same
| > all the options apart from Save appear to be browser
| > options, if I get chance tommorow I could send you a
| > screen shot? I really appreciate the help, I have
| > contacted my IT people but they haven't got much of an
| > idea how to help.
| >
| > Basically I have a set of Word Document templates produced
| > by other departments which people need to fill in and
| > email, they have to arrive at the intended person in the
| > same format. Perhaps there is a better way to do this but
| > I don't know how, I have thought of using a FP submission
| > form but the submission needs to be in the same layout.
| >
| > Hope this meakes a bit more sense? Thanks Ben

Ben

Thanks for your time both,

The problem is I have set word templates that have to be
filled in and emailed. These templates were held on a
shared drive and users would open blank copies, fill them
in and email them to other users. It has been decided that
these templates must now be available on our Intranet. I
cannot use forms as the end result must look the same as
the word template. The data being collected (plain text)
is unimportant at this stage, it just needs to be on a set
template. The layout, headers and graphics on the template
are set by outside agencies. Previously when I was using
FP98 (on NT4) all I did was import the document templates
in to my web and hyperlink to them. When users clicked the
link it would open the document in word. Now I have moved
to Windows 2000 and am using FP2000 it opens the documents
in the brower (hosted word?) and I do not get the same
options to email them. The options I get only emails the
link address or a blank template. Perhaps I should be on
the word forum?

Ben

Thanks crash, yeah you are right the .dot is on my website
and hyperlinked to, in previous versions of FP it opened
in word, now it opens in the browser (hosted word?) and I
cannot email it! I cant use forms as I need the results in
the same layout as the template. Regards
Unless of course the Word Template is on his
webpage...but it should still work the same way....better
to use a FP Form page I would think.
R.

"Crash Gordon" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:unybIYp#[email protected]...
I'm not sure we have enough info to solve this. The way I am hearing (seeing) it...is:

We have a Word.dot stored on computer shy user's machine
that they fill out and try to email to Ben.

Stefan B Rusynko

To get MS O files to open in their MSO program rather than the browser is a per user setting on an intranet
See http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=162059

--

| Thanks crash, yeah you are right the .dot is on my website
| and hyperlinked to, in previous versions of FP it opened
| in word, now it opens in the browser (hosted word?) and I
| cannot email it! I cant use forms as I need the results in
| the same layout as the template. Regards

| >|
| >| It would help if you told us what the data being
| collected is.
| >|
| >| --
| >| HTH,
| >| Kevin Spencer
| >| .Net Developer
| >| Microsoft MVP
| >| Big things are made up
| >| of lots of little things.
| >|
| message
| dont
| same

| produced
| the
| but
| submission
| layout.

| >|
| >|
| >.

Ben

Stefan you are a genius - Just what I was looking for -
Thanks so much - and thanks to all you other guys who gave
suggestions, its nice to know people take time out of
thier day to help others - cheers.
To get MS O files to open in their MSO program rather
than the browser is a per user setting on an intranet

Ben

Thanks Stefan that is just what I am looking for - you are
a genius! Thanks to all the other guys who offered thier
suggestions, it's good to know people still go out of
thier way to help others. Thanks!