HTMLDoc or other HTML or Text Editors

Marv_M

(e-mail address removed) wrote in @u72g2000cwu.googlegroups.com:
Have not found a "Perfect Free PDF Editor" yet so am thinking it may be
easier to convert the PDF to HTML or Text and then Edit.

An Editor that has recently caught my attention is HTMLDoc
http://users.tpg.com.au/naffall/htmldoc.html Found the manual
http://www.easysw.com/htmldoc/htmldoc.html Quick view looks very
complete.

Appreciate any user experience with HTMLDoc or other Editor that
someone has used for this purpose, suggestions....

Thanks

Ken
Not all open source is freeware:

http://www.easysw.com/htmldoc/software.php

HTMLDOC is commercial open source software that is provided under a
standard End-User License Agreement. It requires a license key to use.
Installation and licensing instructions are provided on the pages that
follow.

http://www.easysw.com/htmldoc/

Product Code Description Price
HTMLDOC-BASIC HTMLDOC Basic (CD-ROM and/or Download) $69.00

Software Support
HTMLDOC-EU HTMLDOC End-User Software Support, One Year (License Key
Not Included) $99.00

http://www.easysw.com/htmldoc/license.php

Demo License

You may request a free 21-day demo license for HTMLDOC by clicking on the
button below

Not an editor:

http://www.easysw.com/htmldoc/

HTMLDOC at a Glance...

* Converts HTML to PostScript® and PDF!
* Easily create your own books and reports!
* Interfaces with most web servers, too!
* Available for download or on CD for only $69 US!
* Free 21-day demo license available for first-time users

Freeware equivalent:

PrimoPDF

http://www.primopdf.com/

CutePDF

http://www.cutepdf.com/

And if you really want to convert PDF to html for free:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdftohtml/

This doesn't automatically come with a fancy gui but there is one
available.

http://guiguy.wminds.com/downloads/pdf2htmlgui/

Caution: before you dive in with both feet, the process of converting a pdf
file to anything isn't simple and most of the time any file that has been
converted from some other format, such as one created using a PrimoPDF type
printer driver, will convert back to a html page that isn't much except a
set of ".png" images that are as un-editable as a pdf file.

Any pdf file that has pictures on it will often convert well using the
"generate complex document" option under the "more options" button of the
gui, but the document converts to very complex html with css2 level
absolute positioning that is tough to edit properly.

For instance, I successfully converted a Rand McNally road map to pdf and
wanted to add/edit comments and then email. It converted nicely to pdf with
PrimoPDF and then to html. Then I discovered all the road/city labels had
converted to text but were positioned to precisely show through transparent
"holes" in the images the actual map had converted to. As soon as I touched
the html code, all the labels 'dissapeared' behind the image.

That being said, some html editors that may help anyways.

Open Office (spell checker, thesaurus)

http://www.openoffice.org

AbiWord (spell checker,grammer checker)

http://www.abiword.org/

Amaya (spell checker, html validator)

http://www.w3.org/Amaya/

*** ***

Al Klein

Not all open source is freeware:

HTMLDOC is commercial open source software that is provided under a
standard End-User License Agreement. It requires a license key to use.

If it's open source, it doesn't *require* a key - they may require you
to buy one, but you can compile the program and use it without one. If
you can't (it's supplied as an .msi so I don't know), it's not open
source.

(There's a difference between "technically requires" and "legally
requires".)

Susan Bugher

Marv_M said:
(e-mail address removed) wrote in @u72g2000cwu.googlegroups.com:
Not all open source is freeware:

http://www.easysw.com/htmldoc/software.php

HTMLDOC is commercial open source software that is provided under a
standard End-User License Agreement. It requires a license key to use.
Installation and licensing instructions are provided on the pages that
follow.

last freeware version:

Program: HTMLDOC (v 1.8.23)
Company: Easy Software Products
W: LFW
Ware: (Liteware) (open source: GNU GPL) v 1.8.23
ftp://ftp2.easysw.com/pub/htmldoc/1.8.23/htmldoc-1.8.23-winfree.exe

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

kenitholson

Marv_M,

Thanks for the detailed posting! You are Light Years ahead of me!

Maybe I should tell you specifically what I want to do and if you or
anyone else have suggestions am interested.

Will start with a simple text only problem.

Some websites have a print option for articles, reviews... that allow
maximum paper utilization. Other websites do not.

An example is this article. Using same text size and page setup.
Standard Option
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1953162,00.asp is 3 pages.
Print Option
http://www.extremetech.com/print_article2/0,1217,a=176532,00.asp is 2
pages

There are other examples where the page difference is even larger but
at least this should give some idea.

Hopefully with the appropriate software it should be easy to reformat
the text for maximum paper utilization and remove anything not related
to the article.

Any software suggestions?

Thanks

Ken

Marv_M

(e-mail address removed) wrote in @v46g2000cwv.googlegroups.com:
An example is this article. Using same text size and page setup.
Standard Option
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1953162,00.asp is 3 pages.
Print Option
http://www.extremetech.com/print_article2/0,1217,a=176532,00.asp is 2
pages

Hopefully with the appropriate software it should be easy to reformat
the text for maximum paper utilization and remove anything not related
to the article.

Any software suggestions?

Thanks

Ken

From the example above,depending on what you want to retain (images, or
just text) a couple of possibilities.

If you have a bit of html knowledge to be able to pick out the good stuff
from the junk.
Use your browser to "file>save as".

Then use an html editor such as Amaya http://www.w3.org/Amaya/ to edit
the html file to your liking as far as content.

Open the file in a mozilla-based browser (
Mozilla, http://www.mozilla.org/
Netscape, http://browser.netscape.com/
Firefox http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/
)

Click "File>Print Preview"

Use the sizing option (usually top, center and says "Shrink to Fit")
to change size of total document to suit.

Option 2
Make a new empty text (or word) file. (right-click the desktop and select
New>text document)
From the browser, select the text you want and paste it into the text
file.

Format and edit as you wish from your favorite editor.

Option 3

Copy from browser and paste directly into editor such as Open Office
Writer. http://www.openoffice.org

It seemed to do okay but then wouldn't print properly when I tried it
though. Maybe Abiword might work better. http://www.abiword.org/

Good luck.

*** ***

Susan Bugher

PDFrank said:
Susan Bugher wrote:
Not so.
HTMLDOC (v 1.8.24)
http://users.tpg.com.au/naffall/htmldoc.html
Distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public Licence.

Yeah but. . . if I'm reading the web page correctly that's *not* a
precompiled binary file. It's the source code for v 1.8.24 plus some
additional files/info. FWIW - source code for all versions (including
the latest one) is available here:

http://www.htmldoc.org/software.php

Version 1.8.23 is available as a precompiled binary file:
ftp://ftp2.easysw.com/pub/htmldoc/1.8.23/htmldoc-1.8.23-winfree.exe
ISTM that makes v 1.8.23 the last Freeware version for Windows. Perhaps
more accurately: the LFW version until someone compiles a later version.
.. .

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

CoMa

Yeah but. . . if I'm reading the web page correctly that's *not* a
precompiled binary file. It's the source code for v 1.8.24 plus some
additional files/info. FWIW - source code for all versions (including
the latest one) is available here:

It say very clearly on the page

"In the archive, you'll find the precompiled HTMLDoc 1.8.24"

Btw.
The latest source code for HTMLDOC is 1.8.26

--

Regards
CoMa

http://hubbabub.deviantart.com/

Susan Bugher

It say very clearly on the page

"In the archive, you'll find the precompiled HTMLDoc 1.8.24"

Yup, I mis-spoke - it goes on to say some other stuff that I found
confusing:

<q>
In the archive, you'll find the precompiled HTMLDoc 1.8.24 Open Source
distribution along with the following additions:

* In install.txt, you'll find Easy Software Products' instructions
for installation, as per the HTMLDoc web site.
* HTMLDoc.reg, a Windows registry file that implements the above
instructions. You will need to edit the file (any text editor will do)
and change the paths after "data"= and doc"= to reflect your
installation location.
* In the vc6 directory, you'll find a diff file that you can use to
patch the source distribution if you want to compile it yourself, along
with some notes on the packages I used and so on. If you just want to
use the compiled version, feel free to ignore it.
</q>

The question I had was: Do I need to edit the registry to use the
compiled version? Seeking enlightenment I just now downloaded the file.

http://users.tpg.com.au/naffall/htmldoc/HTMLDoc1.8.24.zip

and I'm *more* confused. After unzipping the file I have a whole heap of
files in several directories. I dunno what I'm supposed to do next.
Which file is the "compiled version". ghtmldoc.exe? htmldoc.exe? How do
I install it? Do I have to edit the registry. . . OTOH if I look at the
instructions here they say:

http://www.htmldoc.org/documentation.php/InstallingHTMLDOConMicrosoftWindows.html#2_2_1

<q>
HTMLDOC is provided as a Microsoft installer file under Windows. Insert
the CD or double-click on the htmldoc icon in the Explorer window to
install HTMLDOC under Windows using the Microsoft software installation
wizard (Figure 1-1).
</q>

I'm guessing similar instructions apply to version 1.8.23 for Windows -
IOW - double-click on the htmldoc-1.8.23-winfree.exe file.

If I'm just being stupid about the instructions for v 1.8.24 I'll be
happy to change the link. If others find the instructions confusing too
ISTM we should stick to v 1.8.23.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Chris Dubea

Yeah but. . . if I'm reading the web page correctly that's *not* a
precompiled binary file. It's the source code for v 1.8.24 plus some
additional files/info. FWIW - source code for all versions (including
the latest one) is available here:

http://www.htmldoc.org/software.php ....>
Susan

Interesting way to get around the terms of the GNU license.

Not what Richard Stallman would have imagined I suspect.
Chris

CoMa

The question I had was: Do I need to edit the registry to use the
compiled version?

Only if you start to use HTMLDOC for the first time.

But if you have 1.8.23 installed already,
just copy over the 2 EXE and the 2 DLL files from
the zip file with the 1.8.24 version.
If you want you can also copy over the Fonts
and Data directories from the zip file to your
already installed HTMLDOC.

I did that, and it worked very nicely.

Btw.
There are more fonts for HTMLDOC located in the
zip file that contains the source code for v.1.8.26.

--

Regards
CoMa

http://hubbabub.deviantart.com/

Susan Bugher

Interesting way to get around the terms of the GNU license.

Not what Richard Stallman would have imagined I suspect.

``Free software'' is a matter of liberty, not price. To understand the
concept, you should think of ``free'' as in ``free speech,'' not as in
``free beer.''

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Susan Bugher

CoMa said:
Only if you start to use HTMLDOC for the first time.

Thanks :) but. . . ;)

What I *really* want to know is which version you think should be listed
on the ACF pages. My inclination is to show this information.

Program: HTMLDOC (v 1.8.23)
Company: Easy Software Products
W: LFW
Ware: (Liteware) (open source: GNU GPL) LFW (v 1.8.23) last free Windows
version
ftp://ftp2.easysw.com/pub/htmldoc/1.8.23/htmldoc-1.8.23-winfree.exe

IMO the instructions for installing v 1.8.24 for windows are
confusing/inadequate. . .
http://users.tpg.com.au/naffall/htmldoc.html

Susan
--