HP or Dell ( or neither)

Reaction score
I am looking at buying a new desktop fairly sharpish and want to buy once, buy right. Reliable no hassle hardware is the thing. Has anybody got an opinion of Hewlett Packard V Dell computers ? I mainly do photo editing and layout work (I edit a magazine) but want to be able to game as well.
Both get some slating from various forums, but all makers do. It seems to me the downsides of HP are they are tailored more towards business and do not do mid-end spec computers configureable to order.
Dell manufacture their own motherboards etc so are difficult to upgrade ( I don't generally though) but do some cracking spec boxes.
I haven't really considered anybody else as I am mainly concerned with reliability and support. I think these two have the most solid reputations.............no
icon_question.gif

Having had my fingers badly burnt by Mesh I want to make the right choice this time.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
If I was forced to choose between those two I'd choose Dell but ideally I'd choose neither.

If I was forced to buy a ready made system I'd go to Overclockers UK or Novatech but ideally I'd build my own.

If I was forced to build my own - I would :)

Reaction score
I just bought me a Dell https://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-3395621.php I cant comment on the support because i havent had to use it yet (hopefully will never have to
laughingsmiley.gif
) but im really happy with it, the delivery was super quick, a lot earlier than i was told it would be and i got a phone call the night before to confirm and choose an AM or PM delivery. Im really impressed i think i got me a lot of PC for the money but like you said every manufacturer seems to have upset some people even the best and crazy as it is im sure Mesh even have a few happy customers lol. At the end of the day mate you just have to take a chance but you get better odds of a hassle free time with some manufacterers lol.

Cant comment on HP as i havent had any experience with them.

Whatever you decide hope you have a better time with it this time!

Cheers Lee.

Reaction score
I ordered a Dell XPS 420 on Saturday, estimated delivery 25th February. I am pleased with the communication so far and reckon we should be fine. I don't do anything fancy with my computers, just edit a magazine and play a few games really, all I want is to turn it on a have half a chance of just using it rather than searching out drivers/reformatting/ blah, blah, blah.

The Mesh is still under warranty and I am that cheesed of with it I have forked out for this new one. I am going to try to get it collected for repair on the same day as the Dell is delivered. I won't hold my breath though, Mesh make things deliberately hard for their customers. The latest minor gripe is I am not allowed to return my computer in person on a Saturday as the Service department is closed, the rest of the company is open but they can not accept it even with a returns note !
Once it comes back I am flogging it, untouched. I will be honest with the buyer, on the plus side it will have a new motherboard/ graphics card and I suspect hard-drive ( I kid you not) On the down side it is a computer with a bad track record.

Thanks for your help guys, this was the only site that has not questioned my manhood for not building my own or buying a Mac :D

Ask a Question