HP laserjet 4L

chuck clark

(e-mail address removed) wrote in message

Ok now it's my turn for a best guess. After looking at the iamges it
looks like you are using the HP LaserJet 4, 5, 6 PCL5e Driver instead
of the HP LaserJet 4, 5, 6 PostScript Driver. Try switching drivers.

Bill Frankel (www.theaschergroup.com)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,
This is a continuation of a previous post. I am trying to get decent
graphics to print on the 4L.
Bill suggested I change my print drivers from HP LaserJet 4, 5, 6 PCL5e
to HP LaserJet 4, 5, 6 PostScript Driver.
So i did that and now when i print any document(even just text), I get
what looks like the code to drive the print. Basically
there is header info decribing the file, and then a bunch of numbers and
letters in table form. I hope I am describing this
correctly. For a 1 page text document, like 5-6 pages of junk prints
out. The quality of the text is fine. Any Suggestions?

Here is a screenshot of the 'advanced' features of the driver'

http://www.largebuttons.com/hp/hp-ps-driver.jpg

Thanks,
Chuck

jwglasspe

---------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------

[...]

The screenshot indicates that the driver is for 4/4M, not 4L, which
might be the entire issue with the printing. Since the OS is XP, use
the instructions on this site to deinstall and reinstall the printer
with the appropriate driver: http://www.coribright.com/Windows/

chuck clark

jwglasspe said:
chuck clark wrote:

The screenshot indicates that the driver is for 4/4M, not 4L, which
might be the entire issue with the printing. Since the OS is XP, use
the instructions on this site to deinstall and reinstall the printer
with the appropriate driver: http://www.coribright.com/Windows/

Thanks Q, I went back to the HP site and went to the 4L driver download
site. http://tinyurl.com/srk5 . The HP LaserJet 4, 5, 6 PostScript
Driver
downloads as file lj632en.exe, both for XP and win2000. That is the
same driver that shows as 4m. So i am not sure if this is correct or not.

Does anyone have the PostScript driver for 4L for winXP?

Thanks!!!!!
Chuck

Warren Block

chuck clark said:
Thanks Q, I went back to the HP site and went to the 4L driver download
site. http://tinyurl.com/srk5 . The HP LaserJet 4, 5, 6 PostScript
Driver
downloads as file lj632en.exe, both for XP and win2000. That is the
same driver that shows as 4m. So i am not sure if this is correct or not.

Does anyone have the PostScript driver for 4L for winXP?

Please make this easier for the rest of us: turn off HTML posting in
your newsreader, and edit out the parts of old posts so people trying to
help you don't have to wade through a 400-line post to find the latest
information. This will help greatly.

Okay, that said, a 4L is not a PostScript printer. That would be a 4ML.
Use the PCL driver.

The problem you are seeing looks like a resolution problem--see the
regular stairsteps? The second image is a less-than-300DPI scan that
has been antialiased, but the big pixels are still visible.

Odds are good that there is nothing wrong with the printer. However,
with 1M of RAM, your printer has just barely enough memory to handle a
letter-sized page.

It could be your scanner software; is it scanning at 300 DPI? Is it
reprocessing the scanned image to some other size? If you are using
something other than the scanning software to print the image, it may be
doing its own processing on the image.