HP Deskjet 6980 Problem

Dave C.

I have an HP 6980 connected to my Dell p4, with WinXP. It is direct wired
and to a USB port.

All the printing functions work very well with no printing problems or
communications errors.

But when I go to the HP Solution>Settings>Status, I get the error message
that the "Printer is disconnected" and no functions in the Tool Box work
either.

Apparently, in the "HP Solutions enter" mode, it thinks the printer is
disconnected.

I am guessing it is something with my system and not the printer. I have
uninstalled and installed the software and have done the various printer
resets.

Any ideas here would be appreciated.

Dave C.

Dave C.

Dave C. said:
I have an HP 6980 connected to my Dell p4, with WinXP. It is direct wired
and to a USB port.

All the printing functions work very well with no printing problems or
communications errors.

But when I go to the HP Solution>Settings>Status, I get the error message
that the "Printer is disconnected" and no functions in the Tool Box work
either.

Apparently, in the "HP Solutions enter" mode, it thinks the printer is
disconnected.

I am guessing it is something with my system and not the printer. I have
uninstalled and installed the software and have done the various printer
resets.

Any ideas here would be appreciated.

Dave C.

More specifically, hwo can I do a cartridge alignment from the printer
button cluster directly and not through the computer?

Dave C.

Bob Headrick

More specifically, hwo can I do a cartridge alignment from the printer
button cluster directly and not through the computer?

Turn on the printer. Press and hold the power button, then press the
formfeed button three times, then release the power button. This should run
the automatic alignment sequence.

Regards,
Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/imaging

Dave C.

Bob Headrick said:
Turn on the printer. Press and hold the power button, then press the
formfeed button three times, then release the power button. This should
run the automatic alignment sequence.

Regards,
Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/imaging

Thanks, Bob, grateful for your advice because I use it for printing photos
and flyers.......does a nice job.

Dave C.

Dave C.

Dave C. said:
Carrying this one step further, is there a way to do cartridge cleaning from
the HP 6980 printer buttons and not through the computer?

(I'm still trying to figure out why my system does not acknowledge the "HP
Solution Center.")

Dave C.

Bob Headrick

Carrying this one step further, is there a way to do cartridge cleaning from
the HP 6980 printer buttons and not through the computer?

Same sequence, but press the X button twice. For a more thorough
cleaning press the X button twice then the formfeed button once (or for
an even more thorough cleaning, twice). It should be very rare that you
will need to run a cleaning cycle, and running unnecessary cleaning
cycles will result in unnecessary ink use and can shorten the life of
the printer. For completeness I am including a recent post from Andrew
Rossmann which includes other possibly useful sequences.