How/why do filenames get in the registry location "...Explorer\Steams\0\viewview2" on XP?

Newsgroup User

Hello,

I've been trying to figure out how filenames get into the registry location
"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams\0\viewview2" and
haven't had much luck with Google or searching on the Microsoft website.
Basically, all the information I'm finding says that the
"...Explorer\Streams" registry information is for folder view configuration,
but in "...Explorer\Streams\0\viewview2" on a WindowsXP system I have there
is lots of hex data which when coverted to ASCII is a long
list of filenames.

Does anyone know why filenames would get saved under
"...Explorer\Streams\0\viewview2?" Is it possibly related to a certain type
of folder view which causes the registry to capture the filenames in that
folder?

Thanks!

Mark V

In said:
Hello,

I've been trying to figure out how filenames get into the
registry location
"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams\0\vie
wview2" and haven't had much luck with Google or searching on
the Microsoft website. Basically, all the information I'm
finding says that the "...Explorer\Streams" registry information
is for folder view configuration, but in
"...Explorer\Streams\0\viewview2" on a WindowsXP system I have
there is lots of hex data which when coverted to ASCII is a
long list of filenames.

Does anyone know why filenames would get saved under
"...Explorer\Streams\0\viewview2?" Is it possibly related to a
certain type of folder view which causes the registry to capture
the filenames in that folder?

Your Desktop is a "folder". Items on the desktop are file system
objects. The position of Desktop items is saved.

But your description sounds more like content under,
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StreamMRU\
or
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
\Explorer\Streams\Desktop\

I have no source of better explanations regarding the explorer.exe
"streams".

Newsgroup User

Mark V said:
Your Desktop is a "folder". Items on the desktop are file system
objects. The position of Desktop items is saved.

But your description sounds more like content under,
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StreamMRU\
or
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
\Explorer\Streams\Desktop\

I have no source of better explanations regarding the explorer.exe
"streams".

Thanks for the reply - I think I have found something in testing. I kept
changing folder views and filenames weren't going into the registry location
I mentioned. After turning off auto-arrange though, filenames started
getting captured in there.