How to use Microsoft Outlook as Your Telephone Set

Hello,

I am Sandeep from Ludhiana, India. I am using Toshiba Tecra S2 Laptop having
Windows xp version 2002 embedded with Service Pack 2.

I have inserted the landline telephone jack into my laptop directly and now
I want to make & receive calls streight from Microsoft Outlook where all thr
contacts are stored. I shall click any of the contacts and a window showing
all the details about that contact will come up, I shall choose one Telephone
no. of that contact and press telehone button. The software will start
dialing the no. (My Laptop is euipped with speakers & mic.) The call gets
connected. The person on the other end & myself listen to modem sound/beeps
and big sound disturbance during the call, so could not talkto each other
clearly. Some times my voice is not being listened on the other end.

I shall be thankfull for getting solution to my this above problem. If any
driver is to be loaded pls. tell me and where I can get the same.

Thks. & Regds.

Sandeep

Thanks for replying. But, I want to dial through my phonr line only.

Like as from phone dialer.

Why does this software modem works, when I am dialing through my phone line
directly inserted.

Pls. reply back again.

Sandeep

you modem is a fax modem
so it is designed to dial phone
numbers and then handshake with
fax machines.

outlook is an email program
not a telecommunications program.

and telecommunications programs
can bypass the fax handshaking.

i think a software called supervoice
is a telecommunications program.
so you may want to use this as a clue
to further research your project.

however, there are a multitude of
configurations that i could suggest,
but rather just give you one idea as
my time is limited.

connect a telephone splitter
on your telephone line, where the
incoming line is split between
your pc and to your telephone.

after the pc dials the number
and you can hear the other end
ringing, disconnect the pc. then
the handshaking won't go through,
but you will be on the line and connected.

there is also a splitter/switcher designed
for answering machines and telephones.
simply connect your pc to the answering
machine port and when the switcher senses
you are on the phone side, it will automatically
disconnect the answering machine port used
for the pc.

--

db ·´¯`·.¸. said:
<)))º>·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><)))º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><)))º>

..

WTC

KICGLOBAL said:
[...]

Hi KICGLOBAL,

Visit the Outlook experts in one the following newsgroups, they are
better equip to solve you problem.

well, if your so smart
you should have provided
the response, instead of just
waiting in the shadows....

--

db ·´¯`·.¸. said:
<)))º>·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><)))º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><)))º>

..

James Silverton

WTC wrote on Thu, 05 Jul 2007 19:14:43 -0700:

??>> you modem is a fax modem
??>> so it is designed to dial phone
??>> numbers and then handshake with
??>> fax machines.
??>>
??>> outlook is an email program
??>> not a telecommunications program.

W> Wrong. Outlook can dial Contact phone numbers.

W> About dialing from Outlook

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HP052433201033.aspx

In these days of phones with memories I don't use the facility
much but, in the phone book display of Outlook contacts, one of
the options on right clicking is to dial the number. I use a
regular phone plugged into the computer to take the calll.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

yeh, i have a plantronics headset
and back then it was better off to
use a dedicated program like Act
because Outlook's contact manager
was just a toy added to the "email
program".

people don't know that if you
hold the telephone handset
up to the a computer speaker,
the phone numbers tone can
be played and the call will
proceed. don't really need to
connect the phone to the pc.

--

db ·´¯`·.¸. said:
<)))º>·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><)))º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><)))º>

..

Hello Mr. William,

Many thanks for considering my problem. Now, I think we have reached half
way. It is very much clear from the link sent/reffered by you that we have to
lift the hand set/receiver to start conversation. In that case it works fine.

Now, understand my setup as under:

I have broadband adsl modem Huawei make modle No. MT882 with splitter.

One direct line first goes to the splitter - then a line from the splitter
goes to the telephone set lying on the table and a second telephone cable
goes to the ADSL port of the modem.

Then a USB data cable from the modem goes to the USB port of the laptop.

This all works for accessing the internet. O.K.

Now, I am probing, Can I do make or receive calls after unpluging my USB
cable from the Laptop instead by directly inserting the telephone line jack
into the Laptop. I did all this. Then I found, It is not working. Great
disturbance of modem noise-beeps sometimes are heard. The available drivers
are on the Laptop shows Toshiba Software modem and some other bluthooth Dun
modems and one or two others.

Now, if you want to ask me any thing pls. notify me so as to get the same
working properly.

Sandeep

WTC

KICGLOBAL said:
[...]

You shouldn't have to unplug the USB Cable for the ADSL modem to use
your telephone modem in your Toshiba laptop. When you phone a contact,
a form popup opens. Click "Dialing Options", is the Toshiba modem
selected?

Do you have an ADSL filter between the telephone and the splitter? If
you do not then you _may_ here the modem noise you are mentioning from
the ADSL connection.

ADSL filters explained
http://www.epanorama.net/documents/telecom/adsl_filter.html

Dear Mr. William Crawford,

Thanks for replying again.

Suppose, We don't have any internet facility and all these modems, routers &
splitters cables etc.

We do have only basic telephone line and now want to use our PC's inbuilt
Mic & Speakers for listening and sending voice. So, in this condition, is it
possible.

Sandeep

Mr. William Crawford,
it's not concluded until the o.p.
says thank you for solving their
problem.

when are you going to provide
a courteous response or conclusion
to this sub thread you trolled upon?

--

db ·´¯`·.¸. said:
<)))º>·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><)))º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><)))º>

..

Pappion

Call in Circuit City!

KICGLOBAL said:
Dear Mr. William Crawford,

Thanks for replying again.

Suppose, We don't have any internet facility and all these modems,
routers & splitters cables etc.

We do have only basic telephone line and now want to use our PC's
inbuilt Mic & Speakers for listening and sending voice. So, in this
condition, is it possible.

This would be certainly possible if the modem you are using supports
voice and the sound configuration is set up properly for the modem.