How to update bios?

Marshall

I'm trying to update the BIOS for my PC Chips M830L
motherboard, but the Flash utility keeps giving me an
error message. A recap of what I've done:

1. Went to PC Chip's website, and found the BIOS update
at http://www.pcchips.com.tw/bios/bios.asp?module_id=4
2. Downloaded both the BIOS update and AMI Flash utility
located at the top of the page. Extracted both to a blank
floppy.
3. Rebooted the computer to start in Safe Mode w/ Command
Prompt, since the directions say I need pure DOS mode.
4. Typed "A:", then typed "AMINF336.exe 030811S.rom". It
reads the floppy for a bit, gives some copyright info,
then says "Chipset/Flash part isn't available. The
function will be invalid."

I'm not really sure where to go at this point. Anyone
have any ideas?

Jim Macklin

make a bootable floppy, you can get one from a friend with
W98 or download one from sources on the Internet. Do a
Google search.

Then copy your BIOS files (expanded if they were zipped) to
the floppy and boot the floppy.

If the instructions for your motherboard allow you to flash
the BIOS while running Windows, you need to follow their
instructions exactly.

It is a very good idea to have a UPS connected when you do a
BIOS update because ANY power failure will trash your
computer.

A UPS is always a good idea.

| I'm trying to update the BIOS for my PC Chips M830L
| motherboard, but the Flash utility keeps giving me an
| error message. A recap of what I've done:
|
| 1. Went to PC Chip's website, and found the BIOS update
| at http://www.pcchips.com.tw/bios/bios.asp?module_id=4
| 2. Downloaded both the BIOS update and AMI Flash utility
| located at the top of the page. Extracted both to a blank
| floppy.
| 3. Rebooted the computer to start in Safe Mode w/ Command
| Prompt, since the directions say I need pure DOS mode.
| 4. Typed "A:", then typed "AMINF336.exe 030811S.rom". It
| reads the floppy for a bit, gives some copyright info,
| then says "Chipset/Flash part isn't available. The
| function will be invalid."
|
| I'm not really sure where to go at this point. Anyone
| have any ideas?

Steve

Safe mode is not a good idea either since you are still in Windows. Make a
bootable floppy and boot from that. Then try it again. You should have the
flash utitlity (a .exe file) and the BIOS update (a .bin file) available.
Boot from the bootable floppy, then insert your second disk with the flash
utitlity and the BIOS update.

Hermann Hunn

You must have a bootable Floppy with a pure DOS like MS-
DOS or IBM's PC-DOS and is free of Viruses
Check if this Floppy contains the two files
- Flash EXE (eg. amiflash.exe)
- Bios Binary-file (eg. xxxx.bin xxxx.rom)
- no autoexec.bat
- no config.sys

check in PC's bios, that the first boot device is the
floppy

reset your PC and start the flash util
Follow the instructions of the flash util

Don't forget to change in PC's Bios the first boot device
to the first HD

It's a good idea to write down exactly the name of the
binary file before you start the Flash util.

PS: I think, that your aminf336.exe is a flash util for
DOS-7 (win98 or higher) and works not fine because your
boot-configuration is loading some drivers and/or devices.
If it is so, look for the flash-util who works with MS-
DOS

Nick Burns

Some bios are set for read only and must be changed before writing the new
bios. Also I believe you should be booting off the floppy, but not in all
cases.

Steve

And what if he has no access to Win 98! This is an XP NG therefor solutions
should be made USING XP!

Jim Macklin

That's true, my mind is slipping. Too much calculus study.

| You don't need 98 to make a bootable floppy. It can be
done from XP.

wrote in message
| | > make a bootable floppy, you can get one from a friend
with
| > W98 or download one from sources on the Internet. Do a
| > Google search.
| >
| > Then copy your BIOS files (expanded if they were zipped)
| > the floppy and boot the floppy.
| >
| > If the instructions for your motherboard allow you to
flash
| > the BIOS while running Windows, you need to follow their
| > instructions exactly.
| >
| > It is a very good idea to have a UPS connected when you
do a
| > BIOS update because ANY power failure will trash your
| > computer.
| >
| > A UPS is always a good idea.

| > | motherboard, but the Flash utility keeps giving me an
| > | error message. A recap of what I've done:
| > |
| > | 1. Went to PC Chip's website, and found the BIOS
update
| > | at http://www.pcchips.com.tw/bios/bios.asp?module_id=4
| > | 2. Downloaded both the BIOS update and AMI Flash
utility
| > | located at the top of the page. Extracted both to a
blank
| > | floppy.
| > | 3. Rebooted the computer to start in Safe Mode w/
Command
| > | Prompt, since the directions say I need pure DOS mode.
| > | 4. Typed "A:", then typed "AMINF336.exe 030811S.rom".
It
| > | reads the floppy for a bit, gives some copyright info,
| > | then says "Chipset/Flash part isn't available. The
| > | function will be invalid."
| > |
| > | I'm not really sure where to go at this point. Anyone
| > | have any ideas?

Crusty \(-: Old B@stard :-\)

Too much space is wasted on the floppy created with Windows XP. All you need
is command.com, io.sys and msdos.sys. That leaves room for a backup of the
old bios, no matter what it's size, along with the flash program and the new
bios.bin.

Trent©

You don't need 98 to make a bootable floppy. It can be done from XP.

Good point, Steve. Many people forget about this XP feature.

It'll be an ME version boot disk.

Have a nice week...

Trent

Cat...the OTHER white meat!

Steve

You're getting technical. I understand, but would the person you're helping
understand. Keep it simple.

Anyway, Marshall seems to have managed with what I suggested.

Crusty \(-: Old B@stard :-\)

What are these forums for, if not to be technical. Just look at all the
reply posts that explain to an O/P how to edit the registry!

Steve

These people are end users not engineers. Some people just like to have a go
at fixing things, but don't neccessarily know what they are doing. They are
just following instructions. Hence why some questions are so vague and
lacking in detail. Sure, there are those, like Marshall, who can perform
actions with a simple pointer and also repair things with very detailed
instructions, but, not everybody has access to a variety of software or
platforms to aid them as do you an I. A lot of people don't even read this
NG through to find an answer first. They just post a query and wait for an
answer. Why expect any more.