How to uninstall IE6 for XP

Today I can't open multiple instances of IE6 in Windows XP Service Pack 2 (it
replaces the window I had open) and Gateway says to uninstall IE6 then
reinstall it. I don't want to mess with the registry - there's got to be a
more user-friendly way to fix this.

Yesterday, SBC uninstalled & reinstalled their online protection software to
solve their problem, but were no help in resolving this problem that started
right after. They said to go to Microsoft, but since an ancient version of
IE came on my PC with Windows 98, they send you to Gateway). I tried
unchecking "Reuse Windows when starting new apps", resetting defaults &
rebooting. None of those helped. I'm afraid to go back too far for a reboot
that works because I just spent a week figuring out how to uninstall
ZoneAlarm (& then reinstalling) to fix a nasty problem with TrueVector!

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE

Hank said:
Today I can't open multiple instances of IE6 in Windows XP Service
Pack 2 (it replaces the window I had open) and Gateway says to
uninstall IE6 then reinstall it. I don't want to mess with the
registry - there's got to be a more user-friendly way to fix this.

Yesterday, SBC uninstalled & reinstalled their online protection
software to solve their problem, but were no help in resolving this
problem that started right after. They said to go to Microsoft, but
since an ancient version of IE came on my PC with Windows 98, they
send you to Gateway). I tried unchecking "Reuse Windows when
starting new apps", resetting defaults & rebooting. None of those
helped. I'm afraid to go back too far for a reboot that works
because I just spent a week figuring out how to uninstall ZoneAlarm
(& then reinstalling) to fix a nasty problem with TrueVector!

If you have Yahoo Companion, Google toolbar, MSN toolbar, a firewall,
Earthlink (or another pop-up blocker) My IE2 (a shell for IE) etc.
Yahoo Companion is a very common cause.

You'll have to turn off the feature that's blocking new windows or, perhaps,
uninstall the program (especially uninstall Yahoo Companion).

With some programs of this type, using Ctrl+click or Shift+click will allow
a new window.

If you're *sure* that another program isn't causing this, these links may
help.
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/IEFAQ.htm Tips #21 & 46
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=281679
http://www.fjsmjs.com/OE/nolinks.htm
http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/answers2.htm#hyperlinks
http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/answers.htm#new_window

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Jan Il

Hi Hank :)

First of all, you cannot 'uninstall' IE if you have Windows XP. It is a
core part of the operating system, and the only thing you can do is a repair
or re-install.

But, first, try the following and see if it helps:

Courtesy of Ramesh - MVP

This is usually caused by third-party browser add-ons. Disable all Pop-up
blockers if installed any. Here is a detailed note from Don Varnau, MS-MVP
Internet Explorer.

<quote>
You probably have a program running which is blocking pop-up windows-
something like Yahoo Companion, Google toolbar, MSN toolbar, a firewall,
Earthlink (or another) pop-up blocker, MyIE2 (or another shell for IE) etc.

You'll have to turn off the feature that's blocking new windows or, perhaps,
uninstall the program.

also...

First, Yahoo installations have been known to cause this problem. If you
have Yahoo toolbar disable it, or if you have Yahoo Companion uninstall it.

If you have any popup blocker programs, disable them and try again.

and...

Go to Tools>Internet Options> Advanced tab
UNcheck "Reuse windows for launching shortcuts"
Click Apply
Close IE and reopen then see if the problem still exists

How to open Multiple Browser Windows
http://navigators.com/multiple_browsers.html

Also, if you have Yahoo Companion, Google toolbar, MSN toolbar, a firewall,
Earthlink (or another pop-up blocker) My IE2 (a shell for IE) etc.
Yahoo Companion is a very common cause.

You'll have to turn off the feature that's blocking new windows or, perhaps,
uninstall the program (especially uninstall Yahoo Companion).

With some programs of this type, using Ctrl+click or Shift+click will allow
a new window.

If you're *sure* that another program isn't causing this, these links may
help.
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/IEFAQ.htm Tips #21 & 46

If still no joy, then try the following:

Make sure your anti-virus is turned off.

How to reinstall or repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows
XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318378

Hope this helps.

Jan :)
MS MVP/Windows - Internet Explorer
Smiles are meant to be shared,
that's why they're so contagious

Replies posted only to the newsgroup for the benefit or other readers.
How to make a good newsgroup post:
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

I tried everything except editing the registry and nothing helped. It sure
is annoying - wish I could find a fix short of editing the registry (not
ready to risk that yet).

Jan Il

Hi Hank :)
I tried everything except editing the registry and nothing helped. It sure
is annoying - wish I could find a fix short of editing the registry (not
ready to risk that yet).

If you have tried all the information Frank and I provided and it did not
work, and you don't wish to work in the registry, then try the following:

IE Fix
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFIX.htm

If this does not resolve the problem, then go ahead and do the
Repair/Reinstall. However, before doing this extreme step, make sure that
you have backed up all your data files, IE and if email files and anything
else that cannot be readily reinstalled:

How to Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows
XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=318378
If you jave SP2, follow the instucttions in the SP2 section:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=318378#XSLTH3130121123120121120120

However, be aware, once it has been repair/reinstalled, you will need to
immediately visit the Windows Update website to reinstall all the necessary
updates before you do anything else.

Hope this helps.

Jan :)
MS MVP/Windows - Internet Explorer
Smiles are meant to be shared,
that's why they're so contagious

Replies posted only to the newsgroup for the benefit or other readers.
How to make a good newsgroup post:
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

rmac3

I had this and it took me a week to track it down

go to add and remove programs
go to SBC Yahoo applications
click change and remove
expand SBC Yahoo Online Protection
remove the pop up blocker
hope this works
rmac3

Don Varnau

Hank,
This is nearly always caused by a pop-up blocker type of program, toolbar,
etc.

So, to repeat... ;-)
From IE> Tools> Internet Options> Advanced> Browsing> uncheck "Reuse windows
for launching shortcuts."

Take a close look at
1. Control Panel> add/remove programs.
2. IE> View> Toolbars
3. IE> Tools> Manage add-ons

I've heard a comment from several users that goes something like "Yahoo
toolbar was listed in add-remove programs. I don't remember installing it."

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

Hank said:
I tried everything except editing the registry and nothing helped. It sure
is annoying - wish I could find a fix short of editing the registry (not
ready to risk that yet).

"Hank" wrote in message

Jan Il

Hi rmac :)
I had this and it took me a week to track it down

go to add and remove programs
go to SBC Yahoo applications
click change and remove
expand SBC Yahoo Online Protection
remove the pop up blocker
hope this works
rmac3

Thank you for posting the additional information. I was not aware of this
SBC function. :)

Jan :)
MS MVP/Windows - Internet Explorer
Smiles are meant to be shared,
that's why they're so contagious

Thank You for showing me where to find the Yahoo popup blocker & how to
delete it! Now I get a new window instead of losing the one I had open.

Now - is there a different popup blocker that I can use that won't cause
problems?

Thanks for all your help! I had disabled the Yahoo popup blocker, but not
actually removed it. It wasn't "visible" until the Yahoo files were properly
"expanded" per the post by rmac3.

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE

Hank said:
Thank You for showing me where to find the Yahoo popup blocker & how
to delete it! Now I get a new window instead of losing the one I had
open.

Now - is there a different popup blocker that I can use that won't
cause problems?

What's wrong with the popup blocker in the IE6 with WinXP SP2?

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Jan Il

Don Varnau said:
Hank,
This is nearly always caused by a pop-up blocker type of program, toolbar,
etc.

So, to repeat... ;-)
From IE> Tools> Internet Options> Advanced> Browsing> uncheck "Reuse
windows
for launching shortcuts."

Are you sure....?.. ;o)

Jan :)
MS MVP/Windows - Internet Explorer

Jan Il

Hi Hank :)

"> Thanks for all your help! I had disabled the Yahoo popup blocker, but
not
actually removed it. It wasn't "visible" until the Yahoo files were
properly
"expanded" per the post by rmac3.

You're very welcome! I'm glad to hear you were able to resolve your
problem. Good job!

Thank you very much for posting back and letting us know what worked for
you, and for the benefit of other readers who might have a similar problem.

Jan :)
MS MVP - IE/OE
Smiles are meant to be shared,
that's why they're so contagious.

I forgot there was a popup blocker in IE6 with WinXP SP2 until I discovered
it by accident earlier today in the IE6, Tools menu. It seems to be working
without interferring with the opening of multiple windows. Thanks.

Don Varnau

Yeah... what she said! I had no idea that this was so well hidden. ;-)

Don
[MS MVP- IE]