How to subscribe to Newsgroups in Outlook 2000

Basharat A. Javaid

Hello all!
I subscribed to some Newsgroups many years ago through Outlook Express and I
continue to subscribe to new Newsgroups through it. But I have not been
able do this from within Outlook? How does one do that?

Even this message is being posted through Outlook Express?

Basharat.

Gordon

Basharat A. Javaid said:
Hello all!
I subscribed to some Newsgroups many years ago through Outlook Express and
I continue to subscribe to new Newsgroups through it. But I have not been
able do this from within Outlook? How does one do that?

Even this message is being posted through Outlook Express?

Basharat.

Outlook doesn't, and never has done, Newsgroups. There are some third party
add-ins you can use (Newshound is one of them) but IMHO they are not half as
good as a dedicated news reader...

Carl Yang

Outlook can't subscrible Newsgroup. But you can set a shortcut of News into
the Menu of your outlook.

VanguardLH

Carl said:
Outlook can't subscrible Newsgroup. But you can set a shortcut of News into
the Menu of your outlook.

Was the News button a customizing object available back in Outlook 2000?

VanguardLH

Basharat said:
Hello all!
I subscribed to some Newsgroups many years ago through Outlook Express and I
continue to subscribe to new Newsgroups through it. But I have not been
able do this from within Outlook? How does one do that?

Even this message is being posted through Outlook Express?

Basharat.

Newsgroups require NNTP (Network News Transfer Protocol). No version of
Outlook supports NNTP. At best (or worst), you can add a News button to
the toolbar in versions 2003 and 2007 of Outlook (but that has you load
Outlook to have it then load Outlook Express which does understand
NNTP). In Outlook 2002, you could add the "Go" button but navigating it
was just one click different than using the View -> Go menu (which also
calls Outlook Express). Since Outlook Express is getting called to
handle NNTP, why not just start Outlook Express instead of having to
load Outlook to have it call Outlook Express? You can even add a
shortcut in the QuickLaunch or other toolbar in the Windows taskbar to
start Outlook Express.

Newshound is the only add-on (http://shorelinesoftware.com/) that I know
of that will add NNTP support to Outlook. Do you really need to pay $30
when Outlook Express, Thunderbird, and many other NNTP clients are free?