How to Speak Like an Englishman

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Now, i have been with Pcreview for nigh on 3 years. And i plan on stay for many more to come.

But in the these 3 years i have seen some phrases/words/....banter that have left me scratching my head.:confused: Im of course talking about, English slang :D
Or perhaps just English people... but as a yank i find it hard at time to keep up with some of the converstions :p
So for my sake do you think you could list some turn of phrases? Just so i have a reference. I aint pointing no stick at anyone one BTW :D
I do look foward to your cooraperation ;)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
A culture exchange ... I'm all for that. :thumb:

But I must add one rule ... no using English US, Ahl hityi oar hied 'caw taughtie ... we all have to use English UK ... OK. :nod:

However, we ain't alone here ... some of your counties, like ... NewYork, TexUS, LouiseAnna & the like can be pretty darn hard to unerstand too.

quid pro quo

:D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Time flies, 3 years already! :eek: Here's a perfect guide for you Alf :D

http://www.effingpot.com/slang.shtml

It's funny, as browsing that list there are a few things I didn't realise were brit slang (like "blatant", "bollocks", "cheeky" etc... ;))

muckshifter

Reaction score
I say old bean, I'm surprised at you, what!

Now for some REAL words ...

http://www.firstfoot.com/php/glossary/phpglossar_0.8/index.php?letter

... :p

laughingsmiley.gif

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
With Ian site, first thing i noticed is that you folks sure have alot of words for getting drunk/drinking/morning after :D

some of them i use at times, or have heard others speak. And for alot of them they dont have meaning i was taught :lol:
hmm... perhaps i ought to be more careful about what i say!

Mucks, i couldnt get your site to load

muckshifter

Reaction score
oops, fixed, try now ...

you will deduce we taught the English how to talk proper ... :thumb:

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Wowee, what an eyeopener
and i thought the english had it bad! :D
Hey Mucks, is that how you talk? :p

muckshifter

Reaction score
Alf said:
Wowee, what an eyeopener
and i thought the english had it bad! :D
Hey Mucks, is that how you talk? :p
... only to an Englishman, only way you can swear at 'em and get away with it. ;)

I actually have a non-accented BBC talking voice ... ask TC :D

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
It's true Alf - I was expecting Mucks to have the Sean Connery accent, but he sounds every inch the English gent:nod:

muckshifter

Reaction score
ah, now then ... I'll give you a treat next time we talk, but ... my Sean Connery ain't half as good as my Billy Connolly.

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
& Don't forget "Debbie"

John's a scouser (from Liverpool)
& when I was talking to his nephew over there & told him that my name was Debbie the nephew nearly pis*ed himself laughing before he told me that a Debbie over there means someone who's a bit thick/stupid.
Mind, I don't know if that's just a scouse term or used in Britain in general.

& Tommy - An old one I know, but I was surprised when an American friend over here thought the song about the 'scouser tommy' was about someone named Tom.
In Britain a tommy is a British soldier from the WW's
Dunno if it's used to refer to current soldiers but I wouldn't think so as the saying is shortened from the term "Tommy gun" which is in itself a shortening of the name of a gun. Can't remember the full name right now sorry, but don't expect it makes much difference in the situation.

Take the mick - Make fun of

Dead - really/very as in "it was dead funny"

Now, this one I've only gathered from context & would love a more accurate definition but
"First round"/"Round two" as I understand it is a challenge meaning "I'm done, your turn, now top that if you can", my guess is that it relates to boxing rather than buying drinks, again, I don't know if this is just scouse or is in general use.

Poncy - usually derogative, someone or something trying to act or look 'upper class', (might be used to refer to someone who spoke 'gramatically correct' English for example :rolleyes: ) & the clothing, behaviour or accessories that they use to create that impression. Not neccessarily just for a wannabe, might be used for someone who acts that way naturally also.

On your bike - polite term for "f**k off. Old but still in use.

"wait your patience/wait your hurry" - I (or it) won't be long/stop nagging at me to hurry up (can be humorous or irritated) I grew up with the first one from my father who is from Blackpool, John, being from Liverpool finds my version hilarious & uses the second version.

Oh, & of course "football" - refers to soccer

There's quite a few other's I can think of, but this is a family site so I'll keep it clean.

Oh, & don't forget, it's not Just British - American translation. it depends where in Britain you come from. The same term can mean quite opposite things in different parts of Britain too. John just phoned me while I was writing this & him & his mate Liam from work have just had a discussion about such a term (it got quite heated i believe), & yet where they each come from is only 4 hours apart.

And what the site said about tipping is true also. John finds the whole concept quite offensive. He's quite definite that he's already paid for his meal, if they want him to pay for someone to bring it to him as well then he'll go & get it himself.
In New Zealand Tipping is actually illegal & Kiwi's have no clue whatsoever how to tip or what would be an appropriate amount. Most would find the whole thing very embarrassing.
New Zealand Staff over here love American tourists though, as you can imagine, & can't say as I've ever heard of anyone being reported for it. :rolleyes:

Oh, & in New Zealand a Kiwi is either the actual name of a native bird or slang for a New Zealander. The fruit is called a Kiwi fruit, not a kiwi & NZders find it hilarious when people use the term for a fruit.
Much Kiwi slang is either British or adapted from the British. It was very interesting reading the site. There's quite a few instances where both the British & American versions are used here & you're expected to know which meaning applies by the context.
And of course there's plenty of purely Kiwi or Kiwi-Aussie slang around. & plenty that is so much a part of our language that I really couldn't tell you if it's Kiwi slang or imported.

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Im surprised that its illigeal to tip in new zealand... i would think that they wouldnt mind making our pockets lighter :p

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
lol, like I said, the staff ain't reporting it & they love the American tourists. I've no idea either why it's illegal. Maybe to try & stop it becoming obligatory or the like. I doubt they'd have any worry down here though. Dunedin was largely colonised by scots (hence the name which is taken from Edinburgh) & trying to make Dunedinites part with their money in any way or form is a hard job. Both John & I keep getting told if we want to really sell our paintings we need to get them up north. Most Dunedinites reckon any painting priced more than $30 is a rip-off, which, since it costs $80 minimum to get one fromed in the cheapest of frames is really a bit of a joke.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Another link to British slang words: Slang

I know most of the London ones but very few of the others, especially the Northern English words.

Caution: cuss words abound at that link :eek:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Reaction score
- Arse about face.

!!

I love that. Havn't heard that in yonks.

- Belt up.

Theres a West country phrase if ever there was one!

- 'Blunt - If a saw or a knife is not sharp we say it is blunt. It is also the way most of us speak! In America the knife would be dull.' - Now that I didn't know. A dull knife?

Just some of the ones I found more intersting in my short read from A - C :D

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
That's a good one Flops :nod:
is good seeing where the sayings come from.
Had to laugh at "backs to the wall"

Over here it's used with a quasi military sort of reference, meaning "There's no where else to go".
It can be used either with the conotation that there's nothing more you can do, you might as well give up,
or with the conotation that you've got nothing to lose now so might as well try anything/any idea, no matter how half ars*d it might seem.

Much like being "backed into a corner" only not so aggressive.
If there was ever any sort of gender preference implications attatched to it they are long gone.

& over here a backhander, while also meaning a bribe,
can also mean to pay someone "under the table" or "in cash" ie, unrecorded & bypassing the taxman.

I'm only halfway through B so far... long way to go yet :lol:

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Abarbarian.... Come Again? :D
i know to most americans englanders can sound strange, no offense :)
how do americans sound to englanders?
and i have never met a person from New zealand, so i cant say :D

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
By 'eck Alf sith ee Yo-arkshires t'only place they speak proper . So tek ne notice of chosty wazaks an doylums postin 'ere . Appen tha'll lern summat if tha looks 'ere ,

Tek a skeg an if tha meks out of it i'll go t'bottom of our street an get thee to buy me a lotteyr tickey cos thee's a real jammy bugger .

laughingsmiley.gif
happywave.gif

Wonderful !!!

Can't understand how this is incomprehensible to some.

One small point - we spell it "wazzocks", said on a very respectable BBC Tv programme as possibly a combination of w***** and pillock although that would surely make wankocks wouldn't it?

Ask a Question