how to share an EFS Encrypted Directory

marc ochsenmeier

Hi,

I am testing the performance of the Windows (XP) built-in Encryption Files
System (EFS).
If my understanding is correct, Windows XP, EFS supports file sharing
between multiple users ONLY on single file basis.
(www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/itpro/securing/sharefilesefs.asp)

That means: if a have a directory full of files and a complex file structure
beneath it, and I want to share theses files with other users, I must selet
every single file and add the user(s) I want to share the file with!

Does Windows XP not support to share encrypted directories? Does anyone
understand my question? Does anyone have a hint how to share directory using
efs?

Regards
Marc Ochsenmeier

(e-mail address removed)
www.ochsenmeier.com

Michael Burk [MSFT]

You should be able to share an encrypted folder, including the files and
folders underneath. If you are going to do so, you need to be a bit more
explicit in making sure that the people who need permissions have them, but
it works.

If you have any difficulties getting this to work, reply again on this
thread and I will see what I can do to assist you.

--
Michael Burk
Longhorn Shell

Torgeir Bakken (MVP)

marc said:
I am testing the performance of the Windows (XP) built-in Encryption Files
System (EFS).
If my understanding is correct, Windows XP, EFS supports file sharing
between multiple users ONLY on single file basis.
(www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/itpro/securing/sharefilesefs.asp)

That means: if a have a directory full of files and a complex file structure
beneath it, and I want to share theses files with other users, I must selet
every single file and add the user(s) I want to share the file with!

Hi

Yes, that is correct...

Here is an extract from a equivalent discussion in the thread in this link:

http://groups.google.com/[email protected]

From: Drew Cooper [MSFT] ([email protected])
Subject: Re: Sharing Folders using EFS in XP Pro
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin
Date: 2004-01-20 16:58:50 PST

<quote>
The other Microsoftie was telling the truth - through the UI you have to add
users one file at a time. It would be possible to write a tool that called
the AddUsersToEncryptedFile API to automate the process if you're a coder.

And it works the same way on Server 2003.

</quote>

marc ochsenmeier

Hi Michael,

thanks for your answer.

I have been trying under Windows XP and Windows Server 2003, the result is
the same: it is not possible to share (not file share BUT EFS share!) a
folder for several users.

What do you mean by this? "If you are going to do so, you need to be a bit
more
explicit in making sure that the people who need permissions have them, but
it works"

Thanks in advance for any help

Marc Ochsenmeier
(e-mail address removed)