How to set Default Font for All Users

Using Outlook 2002 on Termincal Services and also 2003 on Certain Computers.

Was looking for a way to set the default Font for all users to help us shape
our corporate identity.

I have tried going through the GPO Templates for Outlook and there isn't an
option in there for setting a deault font!

Any ideas?

NA

Scotty_ed said:
Using Outlook 2002 on Termincal Services and also 2003 on Certain
Computers.

Was looking for a way to set the default Font for all users to help us
shape
our corporate identity.

I have tried going through the GPO Templates for Outlook and there isn't
an
option in there for setting a deault font!

Any ideas?

Outlook Profiler search google.com

Emily Lin

Hi ,

The default font settings in Outlook 2002 is stored in the following registry key.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Common\MailSettings

ComposeFontSimple - The composing new message font.
ReplyFontSimple - The reply and forwarding font.
TextFontSimple - The plain text font.

Some of these values may not be visible if you did not change their corresponding setting in step 1. This is due to the fact that these
values are hidden until you change the default font set by Outlook.

We can add the registry key to the client via GPO to set the default font for Outlook. Following is the key steps.

1. On the terminal server, login one of the users. Open Outlook 2002. Go to the Tools menu -> Options -> Mail Format -> Fonts to
set the default fonts.
2. Exit Outlook 2002. Open the registry editor and locate the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0
\Common\MailSettings
3. Right click on the 'MailSettings' key on the left hand side of the registry editor and select 'Export'. Enter a file name and save the
FONT.reg file.
4. Right click on the file FONT.reg and select 'Edit'. This should open notepad. Edit the reg file so it will only create the desired
values.

ComposeFontSimple - The composing new message font.
ReplyFontSimple - The reply and forwarding font.
TextFontSimple - The plain text font.

5. Add this registry key to all the users via GPO.

Note: The registry key for Outlook 2003 is HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Common\MailSettings

What is the result?

If anything is unclear or if you have any other concerns, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

Emily Lin,
Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: =?Utf-8?B?U2NvdHR5X2Vk?= <[email protected]>
| Subject: How to set Default Font for All Users
| Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2007 07:27:03 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.installation
|
| Using Outlook 2002 on Termincal Services and also 2003 on Certain Computers.
|
| Was looking for a way to set the default Font for all users to help us shape
| our corporate identity.
|
| I have tried going through the GPO Templates for Outlook and there isn't an
| option in there for setting a deault font!
|
| Any ideas?

Emily Lin

Hi,

I am writing as a courtesy to follow-up on this issue. Do you have any problem at this time? If so, please let me know at your earliest
convenience. I am waiting for your reply.

Sincerely,

Emily Lin,
Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: (e-mail address removed) (Emily Lin)
| Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2007 02:38:12 GMT
| Subject: RE: How to set Default Font for All Users
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.installation
|
| Hi ,
|
| The default font settings in Outlook 2002 is stored in the following registry key.
| HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Common\MailSettings
|
| ComposeFontSimple - The composing new message font.
| ReplyFontSimple - The reply and forwarding font.
| TextFontSimple - The plain text font.
|
| Some of these values may not be visible if you did not change their corresponding setting in step 1. This is due to the fact that these
| values are hidden until you change the default font set by Outlook.
|
| We can add the registry key to the client via GPO to set the default font for Outlook. Following is the key steps.
|
| 1. On the terminal server, login one of the users. Open Outlook 2002. Go to the Tools menu -> Options -> Mail Format -> Fonts to
| set the default fonts.
| 2. Exit Outlook 2002. Open the registry editor and locate the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0
| \Common\MailSettings
| 3. Right click on the 'MailSettings' key on the left hand side of the registry editor and select 'Export'. Enter a file name and save the
| FONT.reg file.
| 4. Right click on the file FONT.reg and select 'Edit'. This should open notepad. Edit the reg file so it will only create the desired
| values.
|
| ComposeFontSimple - The composing new message font.
| ReplyFontSimple - The reply and forwarding font.
| TextFontSimple - The plain text font.
|
| 5. Add this registry key to all the users via GPO.
|
| Note: The registry key for Outlook 2003 is HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Common\MailSettings
|
| What is the result?
|
| If anything is unclear or if you have any other concerns, please don't hesitate to contact me.
|
| Sincerely,
|
| Emily Lin,
| Microsoft Online Partner Support
|
| Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
| ======================================================
| When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
| so that others may learn and benefit from this issue.
| ======================================================
| This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
| ======================================================
|
| --------------------
| | From: =?Utf-8?B?U2NvdHR5X2Vk?= <[email protected]>
| | Subject: How to set Default Font for All Users
| | Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2007 07:27:03 -0700
| | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.installation
| |
| | Using Outlook 2002 on Termincal Services and also 2003 on Certain Computers.
| |
| | Was looking for a way to set the default Font for all users to help us shape
| | our corporate identity.
| |
| | I have tried going through the GPO Templates for Outlook and there isn't an
| | option in there for setting a deault font!
| |
| | Any ideas?
| |

Scott Edmond

Hi Emily,

Thanks for the Info - Decided to make the users resposible for setting the
default Font. I can't believe some of the things you can't do with Group
Policy!

Scott

Emily Lin

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your reply.

Maybe I didn't describe it in details. The Outlook default font setting is not in the Administrative Templates (Outlook10.adm). However,
we can workaround it by adding the registry file to the GPO to do so.

Thus, we can set the default font settings in Outlook for all users with Group Policy.

I understand that you will ask the user to change the default font setting manually instead of deploying the registry key file. If you have
any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me. It is always my pleasure to be of assistance.

Have a nice day!

Best regards,

Emily Lin
Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: "Scott Edmond" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: How to set Default Font for All Users
| Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 10:42:33 +0100
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.installation
|
| Hi Emily,
|
| Thanks for the Info - Decided to make the users resposible for setting the
| default Font. I can't believe some of the things you can't do with Group
| Policy!
|
| Scott
|

| | > Hi,
| >
| > I am writing as a courtesy to follow-up on this issue. Do you have any
| > problem at this time? If so, please let me know at your earliest
| > convenience. I am waiting for your reply.
| >

| > Sincerely,
| >
| > Emily Lin,
| > Microsoft Online Partner Support

| > ======================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
| > so that others may learn and benefit from this issue.
| > ======================================================
| > rights.
| > ======================================================
| >

| > --------------------
| > | From: (e-mail address removed) (Emily Lin)
| > | Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2007 02:38:12 GMT
| > | Subject: RE: How to set Default Font for All Users
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.installation
| > |
| > | Hi ,
| > |
| > | The default font settings in Outlook 2002 is stored in the following
| > registry key.
| > | HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Common\MailSettings
| > |
| > | ComposeFontSimple - The composing new message font.
| > | ReplyFontSimple - The reply and forwarding font.
| > | TextFontSimple - The plain text font.
| > |
| > | Some of these values may not be visible if you did not change their
| > corresponding setting in step 1. This is due to the fact that these
| > | values are hidden until you change the default font set by Outlook.
| > |
| > | We can add the registry key to the client via GPO to set the default
| > font for Outlook. Following is the key steps.
| > |
| > | 1. On the terminal server, login one of the users. Open Outlook 2002. Go
| > to the Tools menu -> Options -> Mail Format -> Fonts to
| > | set the default fonts.
| > | 2. Exit Outlook 2002. Open the registry editor and locate the registry
| > key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0
| > | \Common\MailSettings
| > | 3. Right click on the 'MailSettings' key on the left hand side of the
| > registry editor and select 'Export'. Enter a file name and save the
| > | FONT.reg file.
| > | 4. Right click on the file FONT.reg and select 'Edit'. This should open
| > notepad. Edit the reg file so it will only create the desired
| > | values.
| > |
| > | ComposeFontSimple - The composing new message font.
| > | ReplyFontSimple - The reply and forwarding font.
| > | TextFontSimple - The plain text font.
| > |
| > | 5. Add this registry key to all the users via GPO.
| > |
| > | Note: The registry key for Outlook 2003 is
| > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Common\MailSettings
| > |
| > | What is the result?
| > |
| > | If anything is unclear or if you have any other concerns, please don't
| > hesitate to contact me.
| > |
| > | Sincerely,
| > |
| > | Emily Lin,
| > | Microsoft Online Partner Support
| > |
| > | Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
| > | ======================================================
| > | When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
| > | so that others may learn and benefit from this issue.
| > | ======================================================
| > | This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
| > rights.
| > | ======================================================
| > |
| > | --------------------
| > | |
| > Computers.
| > | |
| > shape
| > | |
| > isn't an
| > | |
| > | |
| > |
| > |
| > |

Emily Lin

Hi Scott,

How's everything going?

I'm wondering if the suggestion has helped or if you have any further questions. Please feel free to respond to the newsgroups if you
need any additional help.

Sincerely,

Emily Lin,
Microsoft Online Partner Support

Bobby Rivera

Hi Emily,

Where in GPO can I add the exported registry setting? I only see a registry option under computer>windows settings>security settings

Is the the correct path?

Thanks in advane!