How to read a *.php file on the 2005 Pl CD

ms

I have the new 2005 PL CD.

I can't open the php text files.

What utility to use for reading these files?

Mike Sa

Steven Burn

ms said:
I have the new 2005 PL CD.

I can't open the php text files.

What utility to use for reading these files?

Right click and select "Open With...", then select your internet browser
(the one's on the CD contain plain vanilla HTML only).

--
Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!

Jackdaw

ms said:
I have the new 2005 PL CD.

I can't open the php text files.

What utility to use for reading these files?

Mike Sa

I use XP home IE6 and have to set my browser security to allow active-x from
CD to be run on my computer and then individual page links can only be
followed by opening in a new page

Susan Bugher

REM said:
These are a sort of html. Use the 'Open File' on your browser and
select 'All Files,' rather than .html only. You should see the .php
files and be able to open them.

As Steven said, the PHP files on the CD are "plain vanilla" HTML (no
scripting). IMO the *easiest* way to open them is to start with the file
in the root directory named "index.html" and navigate from there.

Susan

ms

ms said:
I have the new 2005 PL CD.

I can't open the php text files.

What utility to use for reading these files?

Mike Sa
Thanks to all.

Susan, why was it php instead of something like HTML or plain text?

Mike Sa

Steven Burn

ms said:
Thanks to all.

Susan, why was it php instead of something like HTML or plain text?

Would've meant modifying all of the internal links within each page (not the
quickest of things to do).

--
Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!

MikeyS

Hi Group,

Re: Changing "ALL *.PHP Links" to *.HTML".

That's is exactly what I did.

1st got the ISO.
(Took about 10-15 tries to obtain it).

Burnt it to a CD.

Copied the content back to HDD.

Renamed every *.php to *.html.
Edited inside of them all of the PROGRAMS' (only) links from "*.php" to
*.html" being ultra careful NOT to touch any of the WEB related references.

Tested the resulting "edits".
Created a new ISO.
Burnt it.

I can now brag of having the ONLY fully functional PL2005CD in the
universe!

The only links that are not "tied" are the ones at the very top of the
"PricelessWare Web Page Rpresentation".

That is normal and expected.

={:<]}> Not bad for the (untrustable?) guy (the 1st one) who offered to
burn/send a dozen or so CDs for "Burners with slow Connections" and NEVER
got the preferential link to the download site when the "PL2005CD.ISO" 1st
got online.

I resented that treatment!

If anyone doubts I did the above; there's ONE copy that will be made
available.

Mike Savage

Steven Burn

MikeyS said:
={:<]}> Not bad for the (untrustable?) guy (the 1st one) who offered to
burn/send a dozen or so CDs for "Burners with slow Connections" and NEVER
got the preferential link to the download site when the "PL2005CD.ISO" 1st
got online.

I resented that treatment!

You didn't?

--
Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!

MikeyS

To: Steven Burn,

Never did!

Mike Savage

MikeyS said:
={:<]}> Not bad for the (untrustable?) guy (the 1st one) who offered to
burn/send a dozen or so CDs for "Burners with slow Connections" and
NEVER got the preferential link to the download site when the
"PL2005CD.ISO" 1st got online.

I resented that treatment!

Why didn't you say something? Communication is a *two-way* street. The
email with the links info didn't bounce so I assumed you received it. I
see *now* that I got one letter wrong when I unmunged the address you
use in newsgroup posts.

Susan

Susan Bugher

ms said:
ms wrote:

Thanks to all.

Susan, why was it php instead of something like HTML or plain text?

It *is* plain text (in a file with a .php extension). Navigation is
*easy*. The autorun page starts your web browser and displays the index
page which links to *everything* else. Perhaps better to say it *should*
be easy - apparently you can make it hard if you work at it. . .

A gentle reminder. . . I uploaded a zip file of the CD's web pages and
asked people to download the zip file, try out the pages and comment
*before* I finalized the PL2005 CD. . . A little help then would have
been nice. . .

Susan

jo

Susan said:
A gentle reminder. . . I uploaded a zip file of the CD's web pages and
asked people to download the zip file, try out the pages and comment
*before* I finalized the PL2005 CD. . . A little help then would have
been nice. . .

Was this around the same time as the iso creator went on holiday?

MikeyS

Hello Susan,

I offered to help.

The offer was acknowledged by you in this NG.

The thread diverted: "UNtrusted/UNtrustable" character(s) and this "right
away".

A very sm*rt *ss immediately REposted my message.
No additions/alterations to it but my "cleaned-up addie" for all: spammers,
regulars and lurkers to see and abuse.

I used to get 2-3 spams daily. Now it's up to 120-150.
It started then and now!

A man is not supposed to plead endlessly when offering his help.
Once should be/do it.

I simply made a couple of requests in the NG for the ISO link like most
did.

The rest is history

Mike Savage (No Grudges)

Susan Bugher said:
MikeyS said:
={:<]}> Not bad for the (untrustable?) guy (the 1st one) who offered to
burn/send a dozen or so CDs for "Burners with slow Connections" and NEVER
got the preferential link to the download site when the "PL2005CD.ISO"
1st got online.

I resented that treatment!

Why didn't you say something? Communication is a *two-way* street. The
email with the links info didn't bounce so I assumed you received it. I
see *now* that I got one letter wrong when I unmunged the address you use
in newsgroup posts.

Susan
ACF FAQ: http://clients.net2000.com.au/~johnf/faq.html
ACF wiki: http://www.markcarter.me.uk/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?AcfWiki
Pricelessware (not maintained): http://www.pricelessware.org

Susan Bugher

Susan said:
MikeyS said:
={:<]}> Not bad for the (untrustable?) guy (the 1st one) who offered
to burn/send a dozen or so CDs for "Burners with slow Connections" and
NEVER got the preferential link to the download site when the
"PL2005CD.ISO" 1st got online.

I resented that treatment!

Why didn't you say something? Communication is a *two-way* street. The
email with the links info didn't bounce so I assumed you received it.
see *now* that I got one letter wrong when I unmunged the address you
use in newsgroup posts.

I take that back - I was going by the address in today's post. . .

I used the URL you "sort of" supplied in your January 13, 2005 post
which showed this "from" address: "savegem[Enlever/Delete]"@sympatico.ca

In the post you said: Delete the obvious "[Enlever/Delete]"

I sent *two* emails with the download links to that address:

Subject: PL2005 CD -- COME AND GET IT!
From: Susan Bugher <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 15:56:00 -0500
To: (e-mail address removed)

<SNIP>

Subject: Re: PL2005 CD -- COME AND GET IT!
From: Susan Bugher <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 23:36:21 -0500
To: (e-mail address removed)

<SNIP>

I see that you changed your "from" address today. It now reads:
"savagem[DELETE]"@sympatico.ca

Could a small error on your part perhaps have been the reason for your
not getting the emails?

Susan

MikeyS

Hi Susan,

This is a fresh install from yesterday.
I simplified the "munged" and also considered a fresh connection with Bell:

The address was correct (older install) as I received 2 or 3 direct requests
for the burned CD that very same day from various mistaken/anxious
"onlookers".
They were using the "cleaned-up addie " from/with the repost I previously
referred to. All of that post included.

That is "on top" of my regulars.

SNAFU's happen.

Guess that was/is not an ez year for the PL edition.
Enough to irritate the best of us.

Mike Savage

From: Susan Bugher <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 15:56:00 -0500
To: (e-mail address removed)

<SNIP>

From: Susan Bugher <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 23:36:21 -0500
To: (e-mail address removed)

<SNIP>

I see that you changed your "from" address today. It now reads:
"savagem[DELETE]"@sympatico.ca

Could a small error on your part perhaps have been the reason for your not
getting the emails?

Susan
ACF FAQ: http://clients.net2000.com.au/~johnf/faq.html
ACF wiki: http://www.markcarter.me.uk/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?AcfWiki
Pricelessware (not maintained): http://www.pricelessware.org

Susan Bugher

Hello Susan,

I offered to help.

The offer was acknowledged by you in this NG.
A man is not supposed to plead endlessly when offering his help.
Once should be/do it.

But it's okay to verbally abuse the person who actually *did* something
to help?

ATM I'm feeling a bit upset - which led me to post the info below with
my address in the clear (I've cancelled that message).

------

From: Susan Bugher
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 15:56:00 -0500
To: (e-mail address removed)