How to purchase into Shares -

Reaction score
Morning guys, was just wondering, i'm really intrested in buying into some shares for a profit.

Was wondering how i go about this?

The companies i'm looking at to start with are nVidia (someone on another forum, said she is getting alot of profit from them now, enough to buy a top top alienware computer - 2 x ultras + water cooling etc lol)

Start off small i guess, and build it up, thanks!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
You do realise that the buying and selling of shares is almost as much of a gamble as betting on the horses?

Pop up to the Stock Exchange and observe the suits get into a frenzy about the daily price of frozen orange juice shares :D

Although quite a few of my friends have shares - and many have made a profit over time - I have not the first faintest clue how to go about it.

But if I wanted to find out, and I know this is a cliche, I'd Google UK for 'Stocks and Shares dealing' :)

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Belloni said:
nVidia (someone on another forum, said she is getting alot of profit from them now, enough to buy a top top alienware computer - 2 x ultras + water cooling etc lol)

Wow!! Be very careful!!

It isn't always as easy as you make it sound. It is very easy to lose money on shares too. I'd be very wary about taking advice from someone you don't know - only listen to people you know very well.

This person says she is getting a lot of profit now - is this in capital gains or in dividends? If she has already received a lot of profit does it mean the shares have reached their peak?

You need to do a lot of research into shares before you even think of buying them. Buying one company's shares on their own is always risky - if they go down the pan then you lose everything.

Have you thought of unit trusts or investment trusts. They take lots of different company shares and put them in a pooled investment. If one company goes down the pan then the loss is only a tiny proportion of the whole investment.

Tread very carefully. Even the "experts" get it wrong.

Reaction score
I used to damble on shares on the stock market through a friend who is an IFA.
I never made a loss, but then i never made much money either!!!

But it does depend on what shares you go for.
I suggest you buy a copy of Telegraph, Guardian or Daily Mail and look at the share prices on a daily basis.
Pretend to buy say 100 shares in a few companies & see how they do over say 3 months.
And if your still hooked then do it for real.:nod:

Reaction score
Yeah i know it's risky but hey, i doubt a company like nvidia will go down the pan, especially with the way their going.

All those numbers on the telgraph mean squat all to me, so researching is where i'll start!

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Belloni said:
i doubt a company like nvidia will go down the pan,

They said that about Marconi, Enron, Northern Rock............;)

Reaction score
Stock takes a large chunk of time to pay off, if it ever does.

Of course, sometimes you may get a ridiuclous stroke of luck than a few thousand shares in Google 5 years ago...they are currently at about $700/share :D

But yeah, I would also be aware that the computer graphics industry is far from stable. I would think the share price for nvidia is somewhere around the $30 mark right now, but all it takes is next year for ati or whoever to come up with a stonking line of products and you will see you price tumble.

Be careful.

Buying shares is a bit like internet shopping. You don't realise it is your own cash.
wallbash.gif

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Why not try playing with some virtual stocks first? (I think a company called "bull bearings" do it). At least that way you'll get a feel for how things work, without the worry of losing any money.

Like others have said, it's a really easy way to lose money if you aren't sure what you are doing - especially at the moment.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I made tons of loot when all thoses companies were de- nationalised by the conservatives . God bless Magie .

laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif

Reaction score
A company like Nvidia could well go down the pan, look at ATI, they were on par with nvidia as of late, the same could happen to nvidia when Ati bring out some new cards.

And the price of shares for nvidia will be a lot now, so no point buying shares when there a a high.

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
Why not try playing with some virtual stocks first? (I think a company called "bull bearings" do it). At least that way you'll get a feel for how things work, without the worry of losing any money.
I've been playing virtual stock for about 2 weeks & can you guess how i'm doing?
I'm in the black, just.
Mostly through luck.:blush:

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
Its all full of suprises ...just bought £300 worth of stock from china sold it a profit of £100. Then whilst into my 2nd lot of different stock..get a nice little letter from the C&E people demanding £40 in import duties..:( (no-one told me about that)

My point is do your research ...Everyone is after the quick buck as it where.

Reaction score
You must have been a lucky invester if you had invesrted money into blizzard shares BEFORE warcraft came out!

Ask a Question