    Thank you for reading and replying!

    --R.

    , Jun 19, 2012

  2. Are you using a nonbreaking hyphen (Ctrl+Shift+Hyphen)?

    --
    Suzanne S. Barnhill
    Microsoft MVP (Word)

    <> wrote in message
    Hello, Everyone:

    I use Microsoft Word 2008 Version 12.1.1.

    I use the unit "Watts per square meter" many times in my text, and I type it
    as "W m-2" with "-2" formatted as superscript. The problem is that the line
    break can occur between "m" and the superscript "-2", even though I leave no
    space between "m" and "-2". Even more bizarre is that the line break
    sometimes occurs between "-" and "2", the two superscripted characters.

    Is there a way to prevent this?

    Suzanne S. Barnhill, Jun 20, 2012

    On Wednesday, June 20, 2012 12:11:56 AM UTC-4, Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
    > Are you using a nonbreaking hyphen (Ctrl+Shift+Hyphen)?
    >
    > --
    > Suzanne S. Barnhill

    Thank you, Suzanne, for your reply. It works perfectly except---on machine it is Command+Shift+Hyphen. For the nonbreaking space, though, it is still Ctrl+Shift+Space.

    , Jun 21, 2012
  4. You must have a Mac, as there's no Command key on PCs (and I didn't known
    Macs had a Ctrl key).

    --
    Suzanne S. Barnhill
    Microsoft MVP (Word)

    Suzanne S. Barnhill, Jun 22, 2012
  5. Stefan Blom Guest

    The OP does mention Word 2008, which I'm assuming is a Mac version. :)

    --
    Stefan Blom
    Microsoft Word MVP

    Stefan Blom, Jun 22, 2012
  6. Ah, to be sure, not sure how I missed that.

    --
    Suzanne S. Barnhill
    Microsoft MVP (Word)

    Suzanne S. Barnhill, Jun 22, 2012