How to open 2 separate Powerpoint windows each with one ppt file .

As you know, in word this is not a problem, each file has its own separate
window with all the menus.

In Powerpoint, if you open multiple files, all of them open under the same
window so you have one set of menus for all of them.

Bill Dilworth

Open both the files, then select the following sequence:

Windows | Arrange All

--
Bill Dilworth, Microsoft PPT MVP
===============

Change org to com to defuse anti-spam,
ant-virus, anti-nuisance misdirection.
..
..

Geetesh Bajaj

Steve Rindsberg

As you know, in word this is not a problem, each file has its own separate
window with all the menus.

In Powerpoint, if you open multiple files, all of them open under the same
window so you have one set of menus for all of them.

You can view several presentation windows within one PPT session (ie, under one
set of PPT menus) but because PowerPoint is a single-instance program, you
can't see more than the one set of menus.

What problem are you trying to solve? What requires multiple sets of menus?

--
Steve Rindsberg, PPT MVP
PPT FAQ: www.pptfaq.com

Problem I'm trying to solve is when editing multiple presentations . with
extended desktop allowing me to use multiple monitors I want to put one
presentation on each monitor .. get full size slides to cut and paste
between, or check across .. instead of two pint size version .. old version
of ppt allowed this, as if you opened a second presentation from outside the
application, it opened a 2nd instance of the application.

Sonia

Open both presentations and go to Windows > Arrange All. Drag the edge of the
PowerPoint window to extends into the second monitor. Everything will resize
and you'll see one presentation on each monitor. This is the way it works for
dual monitors in PowerPoint 97, 2000, 2002, and 2003.

Joined
Sep 1, 2010
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
That doesn't solve the problem. Word and Excel let you have separate full windows. This solution is very tedious when you do this sort of editing often.

Is this request just impossible? Does MS not offer the same editing ability in Powerpoint as Word and Excel?

Sonia said:
Open both presentations and go to Windows > Arrange All. Drag the edge of the
PowerPoint window to extends into the second monitor. Everything will resize
and you'll see one presentation on each monitor. This is the way it works for
dual monitors in PowerPoint 97, 2000, 2002, and 2003.
--

Sonia Coleman
Microsoft PowerPoint MVP Team

"marketing q-bee" <marketing (e-mail address removed)> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Problem I'm trying to solve is when editing multiple presentations . with
> extended desktop allowing me to use multiple monitors I want to put one
> presentation on each monitor .. get full size slides to cut and paste
> between, or check across .. instead of two pint size version .. old version
> of ppt allowed this, as if you opened a second presentation from outside the
> application, it opened a 2nd instance of the application.
>
> "Steve Rindsberg" wrote:
>
>> In article <[email protected]>, Ppt Q wrote:
>> > As you know, in word this is not a problem, each file has its own separate
>> > window with all the menus.
>> >
>> > In Powerpoint, if you open multiple files, all of them open under the same
>> > window so you have one set of menus for all of them.

>> You can view several presentation windows within one PPT session (ie, under
>> one
>> set of PPT menus) but because PowerPoint is a single-instance program, you
>> can't see more than the one set of menus.
>>
>> What problem are you trying to solve? What requires multiple sets of menus?
>>
>> --
>> Steve Rindsberg, PPT MVP
>> PPT FAQ: www.pptfaq.com
>> PPTools: www.pptools.com
>> Featured Presenter, PowerPoint Live 2004
>> October 10-13, San Diego, CA www.PowerPointLive.com

Joined
Mar 23, 2011
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Actually the problem was not solved at all. Just having separate tabs in the task bar does not help at all to work with multiple screens. I perfectly understand the issue, as I encounter the same problem/need. The best answer I've found over the net was as follows:

"OK -- it can be done, but it's kludgy.

Kludge follows:

1) Create another Windows XP account to use.

2) Use the shell command RUNAS to run the other instance of PowerPoint under the other account.

Example: having created a special account "Dad", when logged in as "BW", and already running PowerPoint, use [Start] [Run...] CMD, and then enter a command similar to:

C:\> runas /user:dad "c:\program files\microsoft office\office11\POWERPNT.EXE"

Voila! Another instance of PowerPoint.

Pro: you get another instance of PowerPoint.

Con: it's running under the other account, so will save files to the My Documents folder, etc. of that other account. But that could be overcome by changing the MS Office folders locations of where the Dad account saves its files. You need never actually log in to Dad through the front end of Windows XP.

You can make a batch file with a shortcut if you like, so it's as easy as clicking an icon called "Second PowerPoint". "

good luck!

Joined
Feb 9, 2012
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I know this post is a year old, but just came across looking for the same problem.

Slightly easier than creating another account and a batch file.

Duplicate the shortcut. Select properties, advanced and click 'run as administrator'. It will now open as a second instance.

So I have two PP icons in my start menu - 'Powerpoint' and 'Powerpoint 2nd window'.

Cheers,

Mark

[...]

May 7, 2012
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
hello...

you might try this one,
on powerpoint 2007, navigate to Powerpoint options, Advanced, Display
and pls check on "Show all windows in the task bar". This should display
all open powerpoint file separately. Also applies to Excel program.

Joined
Sep 7, 2012
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Before opening the file, go to the location (desktop or folder) where the file is located and:

1. Right Click your file and choose Open With

2. Choose Internet Explorer...if you do not see Internet Explorer as one of your options, then:
· got to Choose Default Program
· then go to Browse and choose the Internet Explorer folder
· then choose iexplore.exe
· then hit Open
3. The PowerPoint file will open in Internet Explorer and you may be prompted to choose to Open or Save the file, choose OpenNote: Uncheck Always use the selected program to open this kind of file (unless you want all of your PowerPoint slides to open in Internet Explorer)

4. Your file will open as a slide show, so in order to edit the file, Right Click and go to Edit Slides

Joined
Jun 3, 2005
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
mrzhutch's solution of opening with Internet Explorer results in Internet Explorer opening for a fraction of a second and then closing itself again. I have no idea why. Could it be that it does not like it that I have macros in the ppt and there is some security setting? Or because my IE is 64 bit? Not sure. It sounded promising but it did not work.

Detshcrim's solution is not a solution for me at all. It may result in more than one tab in the task bar but it does not result in seperate windows. i think it is the same as Properties | Taskbar tab | uncheck the "Group similar taskbar buttons" box | OK. as mentioned on yahoo answers.

medicmark's solution sounds like the best but for some reason the open as administrator option in the advanced options is greyed out. I am going to try and google for why. Thank you. I think that this is the way forward.

eugalpas I don't want to create another user but thank you.

Sonia's solution is pretty painful/unglamourous especially because my windows are different sizes (square and a verticle wide screen) but it does work and I am using it for now.Thank you Sonia.

Joined
Mar 2, 2017
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
win 10

How to Open Two Powerpoint Presentations in Separate Windows

The only way to Open Two Powerpoint Presentations in Separate Windows is to open the powerpoint execute file AS A DIFFERENT USER. And it only works in ppt2010 or later versions.

-1- control panel
- user accounts
- manage another account
- create a new user and register it to Microsoft Account
- addd a new user in PC settings
- after successfully creating a new user with password and microsoft account
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12\POWERPNT - SHIFT + F10
- "Open as other user" , and select the newly created microsoft user