How to have Picture Tasks menu for My Picture always?

Levlg

When I try to view the My Picture folder as slide show, sometimes I cannot
find the Picture Tasks menu on the Explore Bar. I can see the other menus:
File and Folder Tasks, Other Places, etc., but not the Picture Tasks.

I caught sight that if I open My Picture step by step from My Computer, I
can see Picture Tasks. But if I open My Picture from Start menu, I cannot
see Picture Tasks.

Why it happens? What should I do to have Picture Tasks menu on Explore Bar
always?

Thanks in advance

Lev

Sharon F

When I try to view the My Picture folder as slide show, sometimes I cannot
find the Picture Tasks menu on the Explore Bar. I can see the other menus:
File and Folder Tasks, Other Places, etc., but not the Picture Tasks.

I caught sight that if I open My Picture step by step from My Computer, I
can see Picture Tasks. But if I open My Picture from Start menu, I cannot
see Picture Tasks.

Why it happens? What should I do to have Picture Tasks menu on Explore Bar
always?

Thanks in advance

Lev

Do you have a Folders button in your standard toolbar? If yes, use it to
toggle from the two paned explorer view to folder view with common tasks
shown. If no, right click the standard toolbar and select Customize. Use
the screen that appears to add the Folders button.

Levlg

Dear Sharon, thanks for your reply.
It works exactly, as you described this. But this is not my problem.
My problem is:
Sometimes Explorer Bar shows common tasks (Folder Tasks, Other Places,
etc.), but does not show Picture Tasks for the My Picture folder.
I caught sight that if I open My Picture step by step from My Computer, I
can see Picture Tasks. But if I open My Picture from Start menu, I cannot
see Picture Tasks.
Lev

Sharon F

Dear Sharon, thanks for your reply.
It works exactly, as you described this. But this is not my problem.
My problem is:
Sometimes Explorer Bar shows common tasks (Folder Tasks, Other Places,
etc.), but does not show Picture Tasks for the My Picture folder.
I caught sight that if I open My Picture step by step from My Computer, I
can see Picture Tasks. But if I open My Picture from Start menu, I cannot
see Picture Tasks.
Lev

Is your My Pictures folder still in the original default location, tucked
inside of My Documents, or has it been moved? It sounds like it has been
moved and one of the links between the folder and picture tasks has broken.

Levlg

I did not moved the My Pictures folder. It's here
c:\Documents and Settings\<my name>\My Documents\My Pictures\
Thanks
Lev

Levlg

Thanks, David!
This is my problem solution!
It's so simply! Four clicks and that's all!
Lev

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
Tools - Folder Options - View - Reset

Levlg said:
I did not moved the My Pictures folder. It's here
c:\Documents and Settings\<my name>\My Documents\My Pictures\
Thanks
Lev

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Hi David,

I noticed that two different Bag # are involved for the same folder,
depending upon the way it's opened.

Case 1: Open My Pictures step by step from My Computer
Case 2: Open My Pictures directly from Start menu

Any idea why this happens?

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

Levlg said:
I did not moved the My Pictures folder. It's here
c:\Documents and Settings\<my name>\My Documents\My Pictures\
Thanks
Lev

David Candy

Yeah, noone reads my posts carefully do they. From the long global fix everything post.

"... Then set My Pics how you want it and do nothing else as we are
saving it by the checkbox Remember Folder Settings AND BY THE PATH WE GOT
THERE. EG

Desktop\My Comp\C:\Documents & Settings\user name\My Docs\My Pics
is a different setting to
Desktop\My Comp\My Docs\My Pics ..."

So from Start is the same as Desktop\My Docs\My Pics which makes sense as the desktop is the root.

=================
The full long post
=================
Delete these keys or values from the registry. This will reset many things
like saved folder settings.
Type Regedit in Start - Run
Click Start - Turn Off Computer (or maybe Shutdown) - Ctrl + Alt + Shift +
click Cancel (or Close) (your Desktop and Start Menu now disappear). This is
a clean shutdown unlike using Task Manager.

In Regedit navigate to each of these keys and delete them
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer and
delete the value
Shellstate

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Cabinet
State and delete the value
Settings

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams
MRU (may not exist)
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\BagMRU
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\BagMRU
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags
[the above one is what reset deletes, 90% of the time it is sufficient but
10% of the time the BagMRU needs to be deleted too. If you know what cross
linked files are the same thing is happening here - the BagMRU point to the
wrong Bag or serveral BagMRU point to the same bag]

Then in Task Manager, File - Run type explorer. (Start menu and Desktop come
back).

You then need to reconfigure explorer and the desktop.

Understanding Saved Views and Browsing Folders
In Windows 2000 Professional, the view you use is not always permanently
saved in Windows Explorer. You can control whether the views you use are
saved permanently or temporarily by using the Remember each folder's view
settings check box on the View tab of the Folder Options dialog box (see
figure 9.3).

By default the Remember each folder's view settings option is enabled. When
you choose to leave this setting enabled, the following happens:

a.. The changes you make to a folder's view is automatically saved when
you close the folder.
b.. The view you use to view one folder is not applied to other folders.
c.. When you open a folder, it opens in the view you used when you last
viewed it.
When you clear the check box for Remember each folder's view settings, the
following happens:

a.. When you start Windows Explorer, the first folder you view displays in
the folder's saved view. Windows Explorer holds that view in temporary
memory and applies it to all the folders that you visit while Windows
Explorer remains open unless you manually alter the view.
b.. As you browse to other folders (after the initial folder is opened),
the saved view for each folder is ignored, and when you quit Windows
Explorer, the folder view that you have been using to view multiple folders
is deleted from temporary memory.
c.. The next time you open Windows Explorer, once again, it is the saved
view of the first folder you open that determines how you view multiple
folders.
Setting All Folders to the Same View
Some users want to have all their Windows Explorer folders set to the same
view. In Windows 2000 Professional, the default setting is that any change
made to a folder's view is automatically saved when you close the folder and
is not applied to other folders. However, you can set all folders to the
same view by using the Folder Options command as described in the following
procedure.

To set all folders to the same view
1.. In My Computer or Windows Explorer, set the view to your preference.
2.. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options.
3.. In the Folder Options dialog box, click the View tab.
4.. Under Folder Views, click Like Current Folder.
Important The Remember each folder's view settings check box on the View tab
of the Folder Options dialog box (see Figure 9.3) affects how the view
settings of individual folders are applied and saved. For more information
about the impact of clearing this check box, see "Understanding Saved Views
and Browsing Folders" earlier in this chapter.

Windows 2000 Resource Kit

And check

NoSaveSettings
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
Data type Range Default value
REG_DWORD 0 | 1 0

Description
Prevents users from saving certain changes to the
desktop. Users can change the desktop, but some changes,
such as the positions of open windows and the size and
position of the taskbar, are not saved when users log
off. Shortcuts placed on the desktop are always saved.

This entry stores the setting of the Don't save settings
at exit Group Policy. Group Policy adds this entry to the
registry with a value of 1 when you enable the policy. If
you disable the policy or set it to Not configured, Group
Policy deletes the entry from the registry and the system
behaves as though the value is 0.

Value Meaning
0 (or not in registry) The policy is disabled or
not configured. Changes to the desktop are saved.
1 The policy is enabled. Some changes to the desktop are not saved.

Windows 2000 Resource Kit Reference

Saved folder settings are stored in BagMRU. Defaults and network/removable
drives are stored in Streams key (as everything was in earlier versions).

You have to do Apply To All while in a file folder.
For each type of object (File Folder, Control Panel, My Computer, etc) that
you do an Apply to All in it's clsid and the settings are created/updated at
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams
\Defaults

{F3364BA0-65B9-11CE-A9BA-00AA004AE837} is ordinary folders, and other
numbers are what ever they are (My Comp, Control Panel, etc - note My Docs
is an ordinary folder). They only appear IF you do an apply to all in that
type of object.

as well as a higher set of defaults at
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams
Settings=

So the point being in the order that you do things. You want to do your
overall default setting last. This is how I advised someone who asked
Can someone please tell me how to force Windows to keep
the seperate folder view settings I choose? I have
checked and rechecked the box in folder options for it to
remember, but it has no memory for that issue. To be more
specific; I want to always have the thumbnail view in My
Pictures and also in the Control Panel Dialog, but every
time I open them I have to manually set that view.

Set Control Panel how you want then Tools - View - Apply To All Folders.
This sets the global default and the Control Panel type of objects defaults
(but the system default remains the same - it can't be changed but all other
defaults/settings override it). Then go to an ordinary folder (as My Pics is
for this feature) and set it how you want all folders but CP. Then Tools -
View - Apply To All Folders. This sets the global default and the file
folder type of object defaults (CP's default settings will still override
the global). Then set My Pics how you want it and do nothing else as we are
saving it by the checkbox Remember Folder Settings AND BY THE PATH WE GOT
THERE. EG

Desktop\My Comp\C:\Documents & Settings\user name\My Docs\My Pics
is a different setting to
Desktop\My Comp\My Docs\My Pics

There is some searching for similar settings but the path used, if too
different, means it won't find the settings for similar named folders.

The system defaults (and saved settings for individual folders already
opened) are the only setting unless you've done an Apply To All, eg no
global or type defaults.

Plus if you hold down control and click close while in a file folder it also
updates
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
Shellstate=

This is mainly setting irrelevent things except it holds the global sort,
which all the others override. But File Open dialog boxes only use this
setting, so it basically only affects sorting in File Open dialogs. But it
seems that sometimes an earlier windows versions setting get written here
and other settings then aren't saved

typedef struct {
BOOL fShowAllObjects:1;
BOOL fShowExtensions:1;
BOOL fNoConfirmRecycle:1;
BOOL fShowSysFiles:1;
BOOL fShowCompColor:1;
BOOL fDoubleClickInWebView:1;
BOOL fDesktopHTML:1;
BOOL fWin95Classic:1;
BOOL fDontPrettyPath:1;
BOOL fShowAttribCol:1;
BOOL fMapNetDrvBtn:1;
BOOL fShowInfoTip:1;
BOOL fHideIcons:1;
BOOL fWebView:1;
BOOL fFilter:1;
BOOL fShowSuperHidden:1;
BOOL fNoNetCrawling:1;
DWORD dwWin95Unused;
UINT uWin95Unused;
LONG lParamSort;
int iSortDirection;
UINT version;
UINT uNotUsed;
BOOL fSepProcess:1;
BOOL fStartPanelOn:1;
BOOL fShowStartPage:1;
UINT fSpareFlags:13;
} SHELLSTATE, *LPSHSHELLSTATE;

Ramesh said:
Hi David,

I noticed that two different Bag # are involved for the same folder,
depending upon the way it's opened.

Case 1: Open My Pictures step by step from My Computer
Case 2: Open My Pictures directly from Start menu

Any idea why this happens?

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
Tools - Folder Options - View - Reset

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Thanks David. I've this document already, will go through that today.

I do, in most cases :)

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org