Windows Vista How to ghost a dual-boot system?

Reaction score
Sounds pretty complicated when you add in all the updates. :)

It looks like without a server it will take a while but it'll all be worthwhile when you got it up and running.

"With time and patience the mulberry leaf becomes a silk gown."

Reaction score
I don't wish to use the word I am thinking of. This is a family site. :) lol

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I have been playing around with this software , using the tthirty day free trial and it seems to work ok it may help you in some way . I can't give much info as I have been trying to integrate service pack three for XP into it with some limited sucsess . But for a standard instilation I recon it would help .

http://www.setupstudio.net/

user.gif

Reaction score
Hey barbarian,
this might have been very useful but in the mean time we have gone a different route, which i will describe once all systems are up and running.
Thanks for your input, though

Rob

Reaction score
My final mail on this:

After trying all combinations of cloning and restoring that we thought might help, we gave up on trying to do this the smart way and made our copies the tough way.

So, what we did successfully:
1. We created one master system with XP and its applications on C, Vista on D, and shared data on E
2. Using Acronis TrueImage 11 Home we made a copy of the XP-partition on a USB-disc
3. On the new systems (the clones) we restored the XP-partition; not the MBR or track 0
4. On the clones we used Partition Magic to create the partitions.
5. We installed Vista in Partition D
6. We installed the Vista applications in partition D
7. We copied the data to partition E
8. We finalized the settings and Faronics Deepfreeze
9. We used VistaBootPro to change the start-up prompts and default
10. Steps 3 thru 9 were repeated 9 times (for each of the clones)

In retrospect: TrueImage turned out to be good for XP; at least we only did everything once there. My feeling is that either TrueImage has some flaws with Vista and dual-boot and/or with the combination with Faronics Deepfreeze.
I have reported the problem to Acronis.

This was a one-time action, so my interest in solutions is academic from now on.

Thank you all for your support!

Ask a Question