How to get WS_FTP to use my old ini files?

Don Wiss

I have a new Vista Premium system and I use WS_FTP Pro version 8.02. This
is 2003 vintage and obviously pre-Vista. It installed fine. The
installation created a C:\Users\Don\AppData\Roaming\PTGui folder. I put my
ini files there, but not only does it not read them, it shows a default
list of sites to visit. Where is it reading this from? There are no ini
files in the Program Files folder. I could upgrade, but Ipswitch is big on
charging extra for support contracts.

Don

Don said:
I have a new Vista Premium system and I use WS_FTP Pro version 8.02. This
is 2003 vintage and obviously pre-Vista. It installed fine. The
installation created a C:\Users\Don\AppData\Roaming\PTGui folder. I put my
ini files there, but not only does it not read them, it shows a default
list of sites to visit. Where is it reading this from? There are no ini
files in the Program Files folder...

I don't know the answer, but I would try searching the registry for
keywords like ipswitch, ftp, the name of whatever ini files you are
concerned with, and the names of the default ftp sites you mentioned.

If that fails to turn up anything, my next step would be to use the
Process Explorer to learn what files the program is trying to load:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/processesandthreadsutilities.mspx

Even if you need to spend a few hours learning how to use Process
Explorer, you will be well rewarded for your trouble the next time
you have a similar problem.

Don Wiss

I don't know the answer, but I would try searching the registry for
keywords like ipswitch, ftp, the name of whatever ini files you are
concerned with, and the names of the default ftp sites you mentioned.

Uh, it's a good idea, but I haven't found the File Run command line yet in
Vista... :)
If that fails to turn up anything, my next step would be to use the
Process Explorer to learn what files the program is trying to load:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/processesandthreadsutilities.mspx

Very impressive.
Even if you need to spend a few hours learning how to use Process
Explorer, you will be well rewarded for your trouble the next time
you have a similar problem.

This sudden switch to Vista wasn't planned. But on the brighter side I'll
now be able to help others, like my dad, with the switch to Vista.

Jay Somerset

I don't know the answer, but I would try searching the registry for
keywords like ipswitch, ftp, the name of whatever ini files you are
concerned with, and the names of the default ftp sites you mentioned.

If that fails to turn up anything, my next step would be to use the
Process Explorer to learn what files the program is trying to load:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/processesandthreadsutilities.mspx

Even if you need to spend a few hours learning how to use Process
Explorer, you will be well rewarded for your trouble the next time
you have a similar problem.

I am using WS_FTP on Vista, and my .ini file is in the same folder as
the program (C:\Program Files\WS_FTP).

Try copying the existing .ini file into the program folder.

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM

Don Wiss said:
Uh, it's a good idea, but I haven't found the File Run command line yet in
Vista... :)

Do you mean the Run command like the WinXP Start menu had that you can get
from WinKey+R?

Or you could click Start, type regedit and press <Enter> to start the
Registry editor. Be careful in there.

Val

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM

The RUN command is not shown in the Vista menu by default (stupid choice)
Right click taskbar/Properties/Start Menu/Customize scroll down and enable
"Run command"

Val