How to find IP from MAC address?

I have a list of MAC addresses from on our LAN and I need to find the
corresponding IP address for them.

How ????

Thanks in advance

Gerald Vogt

toal5 said:
I have a list of MAC addresses from on our LAN and I need to find the
corresponding IP address for them.

How ????

It depends.

If you know the IP addresses in question you simply ping the IP
addresses and then check the arp cache with "arp -a".

If you have a router it may be able to protocol the IP/MAC address mappings.

If you have a DHCP server and all devices in question use DHCP the DHCP
server should have all mappings in the list of leases.

If you don't have any idea which IP addresses (as any device can use
several IP addresses on an interface) a specific MAC address may use you
are not able to find it out unless you are able to make the device send
some packets and the receiver of those packets or a router in the way
records it.

Gerald

All I have is the MAC address which are on our LAN so no routers are involved.
The devices could be static so I cant check any DHCP.
As far as getting the device to send some packets..... I dont know which
devices they are, thats why Im trying to get the IP addresses

Cheers

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

This how to may help,

ipconfigHow to setup two IPs on a computer How to use MS DHCP to reserve an IP on MAC How to use TCP/IP without installing a NIC. How can I find a NIC MAC address? ...
http://www.howtonetworking.com/Networking/ipconfig.htm

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
I have a list of MAC addresses from on our LAN and I need to find the
corresponding IP address for them.

How ????

Thanks in advance

Nope, already read it.
It tells you how to add static entries but thats about it.

Thanks though

Just ran both tools and neither has given me any MAC addesses????
So I can't tally them up with the IP and hostnames its found.

Sooner Al [MVP]

toal5 said:
I have a list of MAC addresses from on our LAN and I need to find the
corresponding IP address for them.

How ????

Thanks in advance

FWIW department...

If your running Vista on at least one machine then the network map will show
IP and MAC addresses for local nodes...

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/Vista/Misc/NetworkMap.jpg

For XP SP2 nodes you need to download and install the LLTD package...

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...1d-ee46-481e-ba11-37f485fa34ea&DisplayLang=en

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...

Sooner Al [MVP]

Sooner Al said:
FWIW department...

If your running Vista on at least one machine then the network map will
show IP and MAC addresses for local nodes...

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/Vista/Misc/NetworkMap.jpg

For XP SP2 nodes you need to download and install the LLTD package...

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...1d-ee46-481e-ba11-37f485fa34ea&DisplayLang=en

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...

I forgot to add the PC named 'norman' in the example network map is a XP Pro
SP2 machine. The other two are running Vista Ultimate (Ashtabula) and Vista
Home Basic (Miami). If you hover over a Vista machine the IPV6 address is
also displayed...

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...

Chuck

Just ran both tools and neither has given me any MAC addesses????
So I can't tally them up with the IP and hostnames its found.

In SPNS, go Options - Program Options - Additional tab. Check "Resolve host
names" and "Resolve MAC addresses".

Similar setting for the Angryziber product.

Gerald Vogt

toal5 said:
All I have is the MAC address which are on our LAN so no routers are involved.
The devices could be static so I cant check any DHCP.
As far as getting the device to send some packets..... I dont know which
devices they are, thats why Im trying to get the IP addresses

There is no reliable mechanism to find out the IP address from a MAC
address because there is no mapping in that direction. The mapping is
only from IP addresses to MAC addresses and that is only established in
the devices itself. Thus the only way to find the IP addresses of a
device if you don't have access to the device itself is to make it
respond to an IP packet. There is no other way because a device can well
live in a ethernet network without any IP address although its
communication abilities are somewhat limited then.

In the worst case that means to send pings to all possible IP addresses
and check each time if there is an entry in the ARP cache (even if there
is no ping reply).

Gerald

OK now I have found 90% of machines mac addresses I have a new problem.

This all started from.......
I was trying to remove all IPX off our network, so I ran Wireshark and had
bout 6 machines which were broadcasting IPX. I got the MAC from wireshark and
that is why I needed to find the IP address.
Anyway now I have the list of machines with MAC and IP, NONE of the IPX
broacasting machines are there????

Anyone have any ideas of how I could find these rouge machines?

Chuck

OK now I have found 90% of machines mac addresses I have a new problem.

This all started from.......
I was trying to remove all IPX off our network, so I ran Wireshark and had
bout 6 machines which were broadcasting IPX. I got the MAC from wireshark and
that is why I needed to find the IP address.
Anyway now I have the list of machines with MAC and IP, NONE of the IPX
broacasting machines are there????

Anyone have any ideas of how I could find these rouge machines?

The output from "browstat status" will show IPX when its present. You could run
browstat remotely, against each computer, using psexec.
psexec \\* browstat status

Redirect that to a file, and use Notepad and a string search for the IPX
protocol in the bindings list.

Download browstat:
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/troubleshooting-network-neighborhood.html#AskingForHelp

Download PSTools, which contains PSExec, from SysInternals (Microsoft):
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/essential-tools-for-desktop-and.html#PSTools>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/essential-tools-for-desktop-and.html#PSTools

Tomer W

Well, i think Gerald Vogt gave a good idea just didn't elaborate on it ..

i assume more then 90% of the devices are computers that honor Ping requests, therefore i describe a windows batch script that pings a CLASS C Subnet (0-255), you might want to consider enhancing the batch script.

put this in a batch file
------------
@echo off
echo Clearing ARP Cache
arp -d *
echo Pinging Subnet
FOR /L %%i IN (1,1,255) do (ping -n 1 -w 10 -i 2 192.9.201.%%i > nul
echo Pinging %%i)
echo arp list:
arp -a|FIND "192.9.201."
echo Done.
------------

change 192.9.201 to your subnet,
the -i is the TTL, because two said it is a LAN 1 or 2 should do.. but you can increase it,
the -w set timeout, again for a LAN 10 is long enough, increasing it will take longer to work considering most IPs are unused.

the rest are pretty straight-forward.

hope you like, if you do, send me millions of $$$ :)

good day to you all.

On Monday, April 23, 2007 9:36 AM Robert L [MVP - Networking] wrote:

------=_NextPart_000_009C_01C78582.801745C0

This how to may help,

ipconfigHow to setup two IPs on a computer How to use MS DHCP to reserve =
an IP on MAC How to use TCP/IP without installing a NIC. How can I find =
a NIC MAC address? ...
http://www.howtonetworking.com/Networking/ipconfig.htm =20

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on =
http://www.ChicagoTech.net=20
How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on =
http://www.HowToNetworking.com=20
I have a list of MAC addresses from on our LAN and I need to find the=20
corresponding IP address for them.

How ????

Thanks in advance

------=_NextPart_000_009C_01C78582.801745C0

<HTML><HEAD>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>This how to may help,</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><A class=3Dl onmousedown=3D"return =
clk(this.href,'','','cres','1','')"=20
href=3D"http://www.howtonetworking.com/Networking/ipconfig.htm"><FONT=20
color=3D#663399>ipconfig</FONT></A>
<TABLE cellSpacing=3D0 cellPadding=3D0 border=3D0>
<TBODY>
<TR>
<TD class=3Dj><FONT size=3D-1>How to setup two IPs on a computer How =
to use MS=20
DHCP to reserve an <B>IP</B> on <B>MAC</B> How to use =
TCP/<B>IP</B>=20
without installing a NIC. How can I find a NIC <B>MAC</B> address? =

<B>...</B><BR><SPAN class=3Da><FONT color=3D#008000><A=20
=
href=3D"http://www.howtonetworking.com/Networking/ipconfig.htm">http://ww=
w.howtonetworking.com/Networking/<B>ip</B>config.htm</A></FONT><FONT=20
color=3D#000000 =
size=3D3>&nbsp;</FONT></SPAN></FONT></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></DIV>
<DIV><BR>Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE &amp; CNE<BR>Networking, Internet, =
Routing, VPN=20
Troubleshooting on <A=20
href=3D"http://www.ChicagoTech.net">http://www.ChicagoTech.net</A> =
<BR>How to=20
Setup Windows, Network, VPN &amp; Remote Access on <A=20
href=3D"http://www.HowToNetworking.com">http://www.HowToNetworking.com</A=
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
<DIV>"toal5" &lt;<A=20
=
href=3D"mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]=
ft.com</A>&gt;=20
wrote in message <A=20
=
href=3D"(e-mail address removed)</A>...</DIV>I=20
have a list of MAC addresses from on our LAN and I need to find the=20
<BR>corresponding IP address for them.<BR><BR>How ????<BR><BR>Thanks =
in=20
advance<BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>