How to detect what version of the framework you are running in?

VistaDB

I cannot figure out how to detect what version of the framework my app
is running under.

If we are under 64 bit Vista there is a special registry subkey, ok
great. But now I am getting reports from users that a Creative Labs
driver is creating the hive under Vista32 and XP 32 at install. So if
I check for that 64 bit subkey it MAY exist because someone else
created it.

I was trying to use the Environment and other system variables in Dot
Net, but they all return Win32NT even under 64 bit Vista. Would have
been great if that had returned Win64NT.

So, how can I from a running Dot Net 2 app detect what version of the
runtime I am in? Not just the runtime version (I can get that) but if
my app has been promoted to 64 bit mode or not.

Thanks

Vadym Stetsyak

Hello, VistaDB!

Have a look at the following links

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=284894&SiteID=1

and

HTH

You wrote on Mon, 11 Jun 2007 23:50:21 -0700:

V> I cannot figure out how to detect what version of the framework my
V> app
V> is running under.

V> If we are under 64 bit Vista there is a special registry subkey, ok
V> great. But now I am getting reports from users that a Creative Labs
V> driver is creating the hive under Vista32 and XP 32 at install. So
V> if
V> I check for that 64 bit subkey it MAY exist because someone else
V> created it.

V> I was trying to use the Environment and other system variables in Dot
V> Net, but they all return Win32NT even under 64 bit Vista. Would have
V> been great if that had returned Win64NT.

V> So, how can I from a running Dot Net 2 app detect what version of the
V> runtime I am in? Not just the runtime version (I can get that) but
V> if
V> my app has been promoted to 64 bit mode or not.

V> Thanks

With best regards, Vadym Stetsyak.
Blog: http://vadmyst.blogspot.com

VistaDB

This is applicable, but doesn't help me. I need to know without
calling DLLImports whether I am running on 64 bit machine or not. My
app can run 32 or 64 bit, no problem. But I have a plugin with Visual
Studio that MUST write to the 32 bit key in the registry since that is
the only one it can load. I was checking for the WOW6432Node subkey,
but Creative Labs is building that key with some driver install (too
lazy to figure out how to detect this I am guessing).

So I need a way in managed code to get the information. Someone
suggested WMI http://msdn2.microsoft.com/En-US/library/aa394239.aspx
but that would not work from a partially trusted environment would it?

Thanks